Class teaches families how to prepare raw seafood

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sushi at the Shedd Aquarium

By William Mullen |Tribune reporter May 30, 2009The Chicago TribuneExcerpt:
After admiring the beauty of fish from all over the world, about 40 guests will retire to a room at the Shedd Aquarium on Sunday to learn how to slice 'em up and eat 'em raw.

This is no weird, secret undertaking. Nor is it some kind of punishment for sea critters who don't perform well. It's actually a service that makes the aquarium quite proud.

As one of the more unusual parts of its 79-year mission to protect the world's ocean life, the Shedd is offering families a class in making sushi. A chef from Plitt Seafood Co. will demonstrate how to prepare the Japanese dish of raw seafood, using Alaskan salmon and Dungeness crabmeat.

"It's a part of our Right Bite program that we have been conducting for 10 years," said Kassia Perpich, the Shedd's sustainable-seafood coordinator, who teaches about the damage that popular eating habits do to the world's oceans.
END EXCERPT
Location. Location. Location.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh. The New England Aquarium is also located within a few feet of a couple of Boston's finest seafood restaurants. :D

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was a kid I was enrolled in Miami seaquarium. I along with my class was allowed to get in the actual tank with the Killer whale!! We stood on his slide or whatever and he came on the slide as well and then they took a picture. I heard rumors that a kid fell in the shark tank but all the sharks there were Nurse sharks. If they really want to eat Japanese food they could eat the Killer whale. My wife told me when she was a kid in school they would feed her Killer whale that was deep fried but it is suppose to be Banned.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea to me. One of the best ways to get folks interested in conserving a particular resource it to show them how useful it is in their own life... or in this case just how yummy it is. ;) Some of the staunches wildlife conservationists I know are avid hunters and fishers... myself included.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sushi at the Shedd Aquarium

By William Mullen |Tribune reporter May 30, 2009The Chicago TribuneExcerpt:
After admiring the beauty of fish from all over the world, about 40 guests will retire to a room at the Shedd Aquarium on Sunday to learn how to slice 'em up and eat 'em raw.

This is no weird, secret undertaking. Nor is it some kind of punishment for sea critters who don't perform well. It's actually a service that makes the aquarium quite proud.

As one of the more unusual parts of its 79-year mission to protect the world's ocean life, the Shedd is offering families a class in making sushi. A chef from Plitt Seafood Co. will demonstrate how to prepare the Japanese dish of raw seafood, using Alaskan salmon and Dungeness crabmeat.

"It's a part of our Right Bite program that we have been conducting for 10 years," said Kassia Perpich, the Shedd's sustainable-seafood coordinator, who teaches about the damage that popular eating habits do to the world's oceans.
END EXCERPT
Location. Location. Location.

I really really hope that Dungeness is a place near you not the English Dungeness! Ours has a nuclear reactor there and the warm water from it goes into the sea! Still if they are very big or have more legs than they are supposed and glow in the dark.............

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really really hope that Dungeness is a place near you not the English Dungeness! Ours has a nuclear reactor there and the warm water from it goes into the sea! Still if they are very big or have more legs than they are supposed and glow in the dark.............
just your average 100pounders, nothing out of the ordinary...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's technically not sushi if you've pre-warmed it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez, Dungeness Crab is named after Dungeness Spit in Washington State. It is a very delicious, large, sweet-fleshed crab. Alas, it is very treif so I don't eat it anymore.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, Dungeness Crab is named after Dungeness Spit in Washington State. It is a very delicious, large, sweet-fleshed crab. Alas, it is very treif so I don't eat it anymore.

I've never tried seafood at all not just because I shouldn't but the very look of shrimps and prawns put me off and the thought of putting live lobsters in a pan of boiling water is just ugh!
Winkles, mussels, cockles etc also put me off by the look of them! I'm squemish!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never tried seafood at all not just because I shouldn't but the very look of shrimps and prawns put me off and the thought of putting live lobsters in a pan of boiling water is just ugh!
Winkles, mussels, cockles etc also put me off by the look of them! I'm squemish!

Professional chefs don't boil the lobsters live. They use a sharp heavy knife to dispatch them first.

Prepared correctly molluscs and crustaceans are delicious. A good gumbo or bouillabaisse is a good way to start for the squeamish. You can't recognize anything in there!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Professional chefs don't boil the lobsters live. They use a sharp heavy knife to dispatch them first.

Prepared correctly molluscs and crustaceans are delicious. A good gumbo or bouillabaisse is a good way to start for the squeamish. You can't recognize anything in there!
Ummm, gumbo! That's the only thing I liked (the food) about New Orleans when I was there in '86. You can also put the lobsters in a refridgerator for awhile to put them into an almost stasis before cooking them. I've never done it myself but have seen it on a couple of cooking shows.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crawfish etouffee, with lots of cold beverage to douse the fire.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions