Chuck norris & tang soo do

GINGERNINJA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He then joined the United States Air Force as an Air Policeman in 1958 and was sent to Osan Air Base, South Korea. It was there that Norris acquired the nickname Chuck and began his training in Tang Soo Do (tangsudo), an interest that led to black belts in that art and the founding of the Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way") form. He eventually created the education associations United Fighting Arts Federation and "KickStart" (formerly "Kick Drugs Out of America"), a middle school and high school–based program intended to give at-risk children a focus point in life through the martial arts. When he returned to the United States, he continued to act as an AP at March Air Force Base California. Norris was discharged in August of 1962. He worked for the Northrop Corporation and opened a chain of karate schools, which Chad McQueen, Steve McQueen's son, ................. just a very small snippet from wikipedia please take a look at the page there for lots more info , fight records , movies , n more

taken from , en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Norris

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
His book "Against All Odds" also has a lot of history in it about his MA career.

F

foggymorning162

Although I don't know his whole story I do know that he studied with my GM (Robert Cheezic) under Jae Shul Chin in Korea.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Norris failed his black belt test the first time. According to one of his books, the dojang was outdoors, and it was very cold that day. If I recall he forgot everything during his forms.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
Global warming isn't real! Chuck Norris was cold so he ordered the sun to turn up the heat XD

well Im glad im the only one to make a joke so far. Actually this is pretty intersting stuff, I never realised chuck did so much. How did he get into doing movies.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Global warming isn't real! Chuck Norris was cold so he ordered the sun to turn up the heat XD

well Im glad im the only one to make a joke so far. Actually this is pretty intersting stuff, I never realised chuck did so much. How did he get into doing movies.
Steve McQueen's son became a student of his and eventually Steve helped him get his start in movies.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris does not get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

I've heard a lot from TKD and TSD practioners about Norris' background, but I really don't know anything about the matter myself, just thought I should chime in with a Norris 'fact'

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chuck Norris, was urged to get into acting by his friend and student, Steve McQueen.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chuck taught martial arts to the Osmonds. They incorporated it into their act until one of the brothers got his nose broken on stage.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Norris studied grappling techniques for many years with Gene Labell, because, in his words, most real fights end up on the ground. He also trained with the Gracies for a very short time.

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have become a fan of Chuck Norris and his World combat league. 3 min's of fast action, lots of KO's and a good mix of sport Karate, Kickboxing, boxing & thai boxing. the team concept is also a good idea. Keep Kicking Chuck...

GINGERNINJA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
foggymorning168 , my Master also trained with Chuck , my masters name is GRAND MASTER KIM MALTAE , maybe if my master n your master old friends ,we could get them to exchange contact info ?
Quick fact about Chuck , when chuck first started training his nick name was "skinny chuck " but if chuck asks i didnt say that !
some good chuck facts at chucknorrisfacts.com ! lol

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fact about Chuck Norris... he is the only human being that can reverse punch you in your soul...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a young black belt Norris opened his first martial arts school in 1962 in Torrance, California.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am amazed that it is so difficult to find information on who his REAL instructor was and what his true TSD history was. My instructor has a picture of him as an Ee dan in the US at a US TSD Fed event. But his time in Korea is pretty hard to get at. If you talk to the older Koreans, I've found that just about every one of them says that they trained him or with him. Especially those near US areas, such as Military bases. I've seen plenty of pictures of Koreans standing with him that they use to build their credibility to Americans.

GINGERNINJA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This maybe due to the training center being on a airbase n most of TSD practitioners Being in active military service , so maybe Master / student turn over was high due to field exercise’s
And such like , if Chuck was M.P I would image he would have been one of a hand full of staff who was pretty much static to the base ,

But it does seem hard to get two story’s of chuck which are the same maybe the governments have designed it that way , I would image a lot of black ops would of went on around that time ,
Just a guess as I am not involved in the armed forces

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This maybe due to the training center being on a airbase n most of TSD practitioners Being in active military service , so maybe Master / student turn over was high due to field exercise’s
And such like , if Chuck was M.P I would image he would have been one of a hand full of staff who was pretty much static to the base ,

But it does seem hard to get two story’s of chuck which are the same maybe the governments have designed it that way , I would image a lot of black ops would of went on around that time ,
Just a guess as I am not involved in the armed forces

Not exactly. I am in the Air Force and was stationed in Korea for a year. He was up at Osan and I was down at Kunsan though - 40 years apart of course, but things haven't changed much. There was a single instructor who taught on base even then, just as now. Right now, it is Ee, Hon In, Sa Bom...it has changed many times over the years though. Kim, Song Ki has had the Dang Soo Do alliance right outside the gate of Osan in Songtan for over 40 years now. I would imagine that Chuck trained at least at the Dojang if not with Master Kim. There were of course many higher ranked Koreans who moved in and out who may have "taught" him over the years, but his primary instructor would have been one man. He was also only about 1.5 hours from Seoul and the Central Dojang, being at Osan, so I am sure that he visited there and trained with Hwang Kee at least a few times. There would be turnover of the Americans, but the Koreans who trained locally were probably there to stay. Koreans don't move around much. My instructor has been teaching at Kunsan AB since 1978.

He was normal Security Forces. Not too much has changed in that regard, plus he was at Osan and not the JSA, so he would have been static base personnel, but certainly not one of a handful. The Security Forces Squadron at Osan at that time was MASSIVE. Their responsibility is Air Base Security....basically making sure that no one can penetrate the perimeter. So no special forces or black ops kind of stuff there. As for Field Exercises, the exercises there (and have been since the Korean War) are done on base. You don't leave the base for exercises, although you are "locked down" on base, no one in, no one out during an exercise.

Latest Discussions