Chuck norris & tang soo do

GINGERNINJA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All right Mbuzzy there maybe a few minor details wrong in my otherwise flawless theory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

So do you find your military training helps you learn martial arts ?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All right Mbuzzy there maybe a few minor details wrong in my otherwise flawless theory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

So do you find your military training helps you learn martial arts ?

hehehe, hey, very close!

:) I'll tell you all about it in another thread if you like! :) The military discussion is drifting a bit. There are plenty of military and martial arts thread out there that we can build on.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. Nowadays if a 22 y/o opens a school, it's called a "McDojo."
At lease he didn’t claim 8 dan when he did open it up. Also in his case, he backed it all up very effectively. You are correct, it may not fly in this day.
icon7.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At lease he didn’t claim 8 dan when he did open it up. Also in his case, he backed it all up very effectively. You are correct, it may not fly in this day.
icon7.gif

Actually, a 22 year old can open a dojo/dojang today, if he does it the same way that Norris did. He started part-time, and it was only after he had enough students and a track record that it could support him that he went full time.

A 22 year old today opening a school the same way wouldn't have a problem from the "serious martial arts community." But he'd have a hell of a time competing with the martial arts day care and activity programs.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, a 22 year old can open a dojo/dojang today, if he does it the same way that Norris did. He started part-time, and it was only after he had enough students and a track record that it could support him that he went full time.

A 22 year old today opening a school the same way wouldn't have a problem from the "serious martial arts community." But he'd have a hell of a time competing with the martial arts day care and activity programs.
For sure, for sure.
icon7.gif

GINGERNINJA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hehehe, hey, very close!

:) I'll tell you all about it in another thread if you like! :) The military discussion is drifting a bit. There are plenty of military and martial arts thread out there that we can build on.

if you can bump another thread then Yes please do tell me about the military n the martial arts and is there any who has learned martial arts then joined the armed forces ? of course please reply in the other thread !

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chuck. Norris.

I've said enough.

...so how about getting this thread back on topic? There were some interesting responses earlier.

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris is the only man who can slam a revolving door!

I read his book. Was actually really insightfull and I gained alot of respect for him as a Martial Artist!

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris doesn't have a chin under his beard, he has another fist and the credits at the end of each episode of Walker Texas Ranger are a list of people Chuck has mawashi geri'd in the face that day.

Check this out guys....

http://www.screamingpickle.com/humor/legends/ChuckNorris/

I don't have many facts about Chuck other than what's already out there. Needless to say the guy had a profound influence on me as a a kid. My grandad had a bunch of his films on cassette and I'd borrow em. First film I ever saw was Braddock: Missing in Action 3. Awesome film. I got hooked after that.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Norris studied grappling techniques for many years with Gene Labell, because, in his words, most real fights end up on the ground. He also trained with the Gracies for a very short time.

Was it the Gracies or the Machado brothers? My understanding was he trained with the Machados until brown belt.

Yeah Chuck actually does have two autobiographies. One written in 1986-ish & one a few years ago. But then, he is Chuck Norris.

In the recent book "A Killing Art" the author says that General Choi (of ITF Tae Kwon Do fame) gave Norris his 9th Dan in ITF TKD. That's the only place I'd heard that.

Last edited:

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Was it the Gracies or the Machado brothers? My understanding was he trained with the Machados until brown belt.

He got his black under Rigan Machado. Rigan himself told me this, but I think it's also on Wiki as well.

He also trained at Osan under H.U. Lee (rip), in the HU Lee memorial articles there was a letter from Master Norris stating his training and thanks. That's not to say he hadn't trained under a few masters there; if there's one thing about Norris, it's that he seems to be a human sponge for all kinds of martial arts, a true inspiration to me.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris is an all around great guy, MA icon and someone that has earned tremendous respect from around the world. I ran into a TX Police Officer at some training who had worked some extra-duty where he was at and just said that he is very approachable and seems to be very LE friendly; +2 points just for that.

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He got his black under Rigan Machado. Rigan himself told me this, but I think it's also on Wiki as well.

As I understand it, Chuck Norris also integrated it into his system. I haven't spoken to anyone in his organization (CFAF?) for a while nor seen the Wiki, but I'd heard Machado BJJ had been required training once you hit a certain rank.

We're in the West San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, and we're surrounded by schools run by former Chuck Norris students or their students, most of whom are not affiliated with Chuck's organization.

Coincidentally, I saw Pops Krasnoo today, and if I remember correctly, his old school, Sherman Oaks Karate, was owned by Chuck Norris decades ago. Something like that anyway. We talked about cars, not martial arts.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it, Chuck Norris also integrated it into his system. I haven't spoken to anyone in his organization (CFAF?) for a while nor seen the Wiki, but I'd heard Machado BJJ had been required training once you hit a certain rank.

We're in the West San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, and we're surrounded by schools run by former Chuck Norris students or their students, most of whom are not affiliated with Chuck's organization.

Coincidentally, I saw Pops Krasnoo today, and if I remember correctly, his old school, Sherman Oaks Karate, was owned by Chuck Norris decades ago. Something like that anyway. We talked about cars, not martial arts.

Close, it's "UFAF" (United Fighting Arts Federation) -- No, the Machado training is not required, but highly recommended. A couple of years ago, he started a program for the instructors to be able to get training, working alongside the Machados. It does not give the UFAF instructors an "instructor" rating in with the Machados, but it does give them workable basics, that they can pass on under the UFAF umbrella.

It's a pretty smart move, actually, it opens the door for legitimate BJJ training, and integrates it into UFAF, but still very clearly keeps the credit where it is due.

Latest Discussions