Choi Kwang Do, real art or belt mill?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I know someone who was into Choi Kwang Do before he moved away from CKD. His technique was quite good actually. However, they had like 16 belt ranks before black belt, and yes he paid a testing fee for each and every one of them on top of the expensive tuition.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I distinctly remember one CKD student raving about his art because it taught you to block fist strikes with your feet. And he said it was very valuable because if you broke your arm in a fight, wouldn't it be useful to be able to block with your feet?

Yeah... sure....
But then again, if you broke your leg by blocking a fist strike, could you stand on your hands and continue to defend yourself? Didn't think so.

Fastboat

White Belt
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but just joined the site. I started CKD a little over a year ago. It was with my son, whom has been learning TKD since he was 10. Due to my work he had had to start over 3 times, but has learned 3 styles with the highest belt at red in TKD.
I did this to be with him because he is 16 and we needed a better bond. Let say this too, I was 61 when I started with the beginnings of arthritis in my left shoulder, and a lack of stamina from lack of exercise.
Today, one year and a few months, we are green juniors and testing at the end of January for senior. Is it a belt mill? No, I don't think so, our instructor won't test if we don't earn it. Also the dojang looks at more than just money in that the kids grades have to be good, not C's. Attitude attendance all these things.
I stand today, 62, more flexible, stronger than I have been in years, and more confident I can defend myself should the need arise.
All arts have their points, this one just works for us, and in that I am happy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find belt mills in pretty much ANY organization. They're in the minority, I think, but they get talked about the most.

Monaro

White Belt
Reaction score
I am now a senior citizen but after many years as a military instructor, I know what is real and what is not. In addition I trained in a number of martial art styles. Choi Kwang Do is a style I know well and believe it has the potential to be a superior system to most. However, you must first decide what you want to achieve. If your really want to toughen up and be able to really defend yourself, forget these many play-schools and go to a boxing gym. A real boxing gym where you will have to get in the ring and learn what works in the real world. Having said that, I believe CKD to have many good points as a training system when taught as it was designed. Unfortunately, martial arts instructors want to make money from their training efforts. This is really unlikely as once a skill is taught it becomes the property of the student, not the teacher. In order to make money, many instructors set up grading tests to advance students to the next belt level. Then they charge a fee. Then you need a new belt. Then perhaps a new uniform of different colour. On it goes. If a student is not good enough but has paid a grading fee, he feels cheated if he doesn't pass so, the instructor makes a business decision and passes the inferior student. This gives the student a false belief in his ability. There are a lot of black belt holders who would lose a fight in any bar in town. They just lack real fighting experience. I don't advocate going looking for fights, in bars or anywhere else. However, we must sell a real product and not be guilty of false advertising. The traditional colour of a gee or martial art suit is WHITE. This stands for purity of spirit, honesty and integrity. Now I see CKD students and instructors dressed in white, red, black (like ISIL fighters) and even the founder Mr. Kwang Jo Choi dressed in Gold Satin. He looked like the Grand Wizard. Ridiculous. Lock out techniques are false and look good on a military parade ground but have no relevance to correct human movement and only result in self injury. So, CKD having pioneered a breakaway from this style is to be applauded. However, few of the instructors teaching today have any background in physical education. Nor do they have any combat experience. What do they know? Only what they have been told. A lot of self promotion by the organisation and a lot of nonsense. Training must reflect the truth. If you play squash to improve your tennis game, it won't work. So, if you want to learn to defend yourself, you must learn to fight and so, go learn in a recognised boxing gym. Then take up martial arts to add to your skills inventory. However you will already have some idea of what your are up against. Nothing worth having ever comes easy. You work hard for your money. Don't give it to snake oil salesmen who might look pretty but in fact have nothing worthwhile to sell you. Live a good life. Be a good person. Don't look for trouble and you will probably never have to defend yourself. Use common sense to avoid bad people and bad situations.

Sparkles1

White Belt
Reaction score
I am now a senior citizen but after many years as a military instructor, I know what is real and what is not. In addition I trained in a number of martial art styles. Choi Kwang Do is a style I know well and believe it has the potential to be a superior system to most. However, you must first decide what you want to achieve. If your really want to toughen up and be able to really defend yourself, forget these many play-schools and go to a boxing gym. A real boxing gym where you will have to get in the ring and learn what works in the real world. Having said that, I believe CKD to have many good points as a training system when taught as it was designed. Unfortunately, martial arts instructors want to make money from their training efforts. This is really unlikely as once a skill is taught it becomes the property of the student, not the teacher. In order to make money, many instructors set up grading tests to advance students to the next belt level. Then they charge a fee. Then you need a new belt. Then perhaps a new uniform of different colour. On it goes. If a student is not good enough but has paid a grading fee, he feels cheated if he doesn't pass so, the instructor makes a business decision and passes the inferior student. This gives the student a false belief in his ability. There are a lot of black belt holders who would lose a fight in any bar in town. They just lack real fighting experience. I don't advocate going looking for fights, in bars or anywhere else. However, we must sell a real product and not be guilty of false advertising. The traditional colour of a gee or martial art suit is WHITE. This stands for purity of spirit, honesty and integrity. Now I see CKD students and instructors dressed in white, red, black (like ISIL fighters) and even the founder Mr. Kwang Jo Choi dressed in Gold Satin. He looked like the Grand Wizard. Ridiculous. Lock out techniques are false and look good on a military parade ground but have no relevance to correct human movement and only result in self injury. So, CKD having pioneered a breakaway from this style is to be applauded. However, few of the instructors teaching today have any background in physical education. Nor do they have any combat experience. What do they know? Only what they have been told. A lot of self promotion by the organisation and a lot of nonsense. Training must reflect the truth. If you play squash to improve your tennis game, it won't work. So, if you want to learn to defend yourself, you must learn to fight and so, go learn in a recognised boxing gym. Then take up martial arts to add to your skills inventory. However you will already have some idea of what your are up against. Nothing worth having ever comes easy. You work hard for your money. Don't give it to snake oil salesmen who might look pretty but in fact have nothing worthwhile to sell you. Live a good life. Be a good person. Don't look for trouble and you will probably never have to defend yourself. Use common sense to avoid bad people and bad situations.
I totally agree mate about going to a boxing club, then working a GOOD martial art into your regime, like BJJ/Judo to cover grappling, but to also source a good street instructor who can give you realistic street scenario role play like 'Line ups' 'Dissuasion' techniques etc and before I forget a weapon defence instructor. On this subject you realistically cannot defend against a determined 'stabber' but knife recognition drills can help, also keep very fit so you can sprint away if needs be. I used to be a CKD instructor in the UK in the mid 90's. I left as I was becoming bored after also joining the British Combat Association in 94. The in depth knowledge the 2 main instructors had/have was/is fantastic, still with them today.

Latest Discussions