Chinese Zodiac

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thead on the Chinese New Year and some of the discussion on Chinese Zodiac signs got me to wondering how many people know what their Chinese zodiac sign is?

I am a wood dragon.

Year of the Dragon - Personality Traits:
The Dragon person is self confident and impulsive and consequently does not always listen to the advice of others. He is also a perfectionist and he sets high standards for himself. Although strong and decisive the Dragon is not manipulative or sly. He refuses to deceive or compromise and fails to spot subversive intent. He enjoys being in command and like an emperor holding court he eliminates obstacles until success is his.
WOOD DRAGON: The Wood Dragon is creative, imaginative, and inquisitive. He is both a thinker and a doer and is capable of brilliant new concepts. His every move is guided by sound logic. His drive and ambition allow him to put many of his ideas into practice, nevertheless this Dragon is capable of concealing his domination and tries not to offend. He will even compromise if it is advantages. Although not as self-centered as other Dragons, he is still outspoken and fearless when challenged.
Sorry, I couldn't find a good link that had the elements for all the animals. If someone knows of one, please share...in the meantime..here is a simple one.
http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/zodiac.html

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this one - I think it was at least a step up from the ones you usually read on menus in Chinese restaurants.

I am a Fire Horse

Element: Fire Heading: South Color: Flame Orange Yin/Yang: more Yang Chinese Name: MA Meaning: Elegance Sign Order: Seventh Season: Summer Favorable Month: June Counterpart:Gemini Friend: Tiger, Dog Foe: Rat
horse1.gif
Positives: Vivacious, Witty, Independent, Cheerful, Refined, Friendly, has Stamina
Negatives: Selfish, Volatile, Impatient, Vain, Reckless
Famous Horses: Rita Hayworth, Mike Tyson, Billie Graham, Boris Yeltsin, Chopin, Cindy Crawford, Calvin Klein, Travolta

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said in the Chinese New Year thread I am a Fire Horse. In fact, I was born on the very last day of that year. In China it is believed that there is an increase in abortions during a Fire Horse year.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Cool link,

Welcome to the year of the Ox
Element: Earth Heading: North-North-East Color: Violet Yin/Yang: Yin/Yang balanced Chinese Name: NIU Meaning: Industry Sign Order: Second Season: Winter Favorable Month: January Counterpart: Capricorn Friend: Rooster, Snake Foe: Goat
ox1.gif
Positives: Honest, Loyal, Sincere, Steadfast, Popular, Reliable, has Integrity
Negatives: Stolid, Stubborn, Inflexible, Impatient, Narrow-minded
Famous Oxen:
Meryl Streep, Margaret Thatcher, Bach, Warren Beaty, Napoleon, Charlie Chaplin, Jackie Collins, W.B. Yeats

Thank you,

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
roosterw.gif
roosterl.gif

Welcome to the year of the Rooster
Element: Metal Heading: West Color: Peach, Apricot Yin/Yang: more Yin Chinese Name: JI Meaning: Honesty Sign Order: Tenth Season: Autumn Favorable Month: September Counterpart: Virgo Friend: Ox, Snake Foe: Rabbit
rooster1.gif
Positives: Resilient, Courageous, Passionate, Protective, Patriot, Industrious
Negatives: Blunt, Conceited, Rude, Impatient, Aggressive, Bossy
Famous Roosters: Dolly Parton, Katharine Hepburn, Eric Clapton, Steffi Graf, Gloria Estefan, Errol Flynn, Benjamin Franklin

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
snakew.gif
snakel.gif

Welcome to the year of the Snake Element: Fire Heading: South-South-East Color: Red Yin/Yang: More Yang Chinese Name: SHE Meaning: Foresight Sign Order: Sixth Season: Spring Favorable Month: May Counterpart: TaurusFriend: Ox, Rooster Foe: Pig
snake1.gif
Positives: Subtle, Insightful, Shrewd, Discreet, Wise, Compassionate
Negatives: Proud, Manipulative, Vain, Malicious, Possessive
Famous Snakes: Mae West, Martin Luther King Jr., Greta Garbo, Howard Hughes, Grace Kelly, Ehud Barak, Yasser Arafat, Oprah

02/21/1965 to 01/20/1966 - WOOD

==============================================================

This from http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/TDB/leChart.asp

Your Lucky Element
Time Zone: PST city Longitude: -120 Gender : Female Birth Year: 1965 Month: 11 Day: 26 Hour: 2 Minute: 30
The following is your birth chart. You are Green Monkey, born in the year of Green Snake. The first character in DAY represents you. So you are equivalent to Wood.

Your birth chart was generated using the Chinese Stem-Branch Calendar system. The Stems, upper row in the chart, are Five Elements which are Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth. The Branches, lower row in the chart, are 12 animal names which are related to Five Elements. The following Five Elements distribution chart is produced from your birth chart. Five elements
Wood.gif
Wood (you)
Fire.gif
Fire (kids)
Soil.gif
Soil (money)
Metal.gif
Metal (job)
Water.gif
Water (mom) Total 163 23 37 56 78
Here we select an element from the Five Element chart as your Lucky Element. The Chinese Yin-Yang Five Elements describe the BALANCE. When the Five Elements are balanced, they are in harmony and you will be lucky. When they are out of balance, they are in conflict and cause you trouble. So your lucky elements are the ones that bring the Five Elements into balance. Usually the lucky elements are the ones with a lesser weight (score). Here we want to pick Fire as your lucky element, because your Five Elements have a better shape when the weight of Fire increases. Using the balance theory, we can predict the rise and fall of your entire life.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I said in the Chinese New Year thread I am a Fire Horse. In fact, I was born on the very last day of that year. In China it is believed that there is an increase in abortions during a Fire Horse year.

Unfortunately it is more often than note female children that are not wanted during this year as they are more likely to bring disgrace to the family. :(

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fire Horse with Fire being the element of the Horse.

Element: Fire Heading: South Color: Flame Orange Yin/Yang: more Yang Chinese Name: MA Meaning: Elegance Sign Order: Seventh Season: Summer Favorable Month: June Counterpart:Gemini Friend: Tiger, Dog Foe: Rat

Positives: Vivacious, Witty, Independent, Cheerful, Refined, Friendly, has Stamina
Negatives: Selfish, Volatile, Impatient, Vain, Reckless
Famous Horses: Rita Hayworth, Mike Tyson, Billie Graham, Boris Yeltsin, Chopin, Cindy Crawford, Calvin Klein, Travolta

I knew the song "Your so Vain" was written about me. ;)

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
from http://www.horoscope.com/chinesezodiac.html

Element: Wood Heading: East Color: Pale Green Yin/Yang: Yin/Yang balanced Chinese Name: TU Meaning: Peace Sign Order: Fourth Season: Spring Favorable Month: March Counterpart: Pisces Friend: Goat, Pig Foe: Rooster

Positives: Wise, Astute, Docile, Thoughtful, Refined
Negatives: Cunning, Possessive, Fussy, Snob
Famous Rabbits: Orson Welles, Billie Holiday, Arthur Miller, Drew Barrymore, Nicolas Cage, Fidel Castro, Kasparov

from http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/Rabbit.html

People born in the Year of the Rabbit are articulate, talented, and ambitious. They are virtuous, reserved, and have excellent taste. Rabbit people are admired, trusted, and are often financially lucky. They are fond of gossip but are tactful and generally kind. Rabbit people seldom lose their temper. They are clever at business and being conscientious, never back out of a contract. They would make good gamblers for they have the uncanny gift of choosing the right thing. However, they seldom gamble, as they are conservative and wise. They are most compatible with those born in the years of the Sheep, Pig, and Dog

from http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/TDB/AnimalSign.asp

Day (you) Month Year
Male Metal Male Earth Female Wood
White Dog Brown Rat Green Rabbit

i really dont get any of this stuff.
how did you all get the images and everything to look the same as it did on the websites?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The following is your birth chart. You are White Pig, born in the year of Red Horse. The first character in DAY represents you. So you are equivalent to Metal.

Hour (kids) Female Wood, Green Sheep

Day (you) Female Metal, White Pig

Month (parents) Male Water, Black Dragon

Year (ancestor)
Male Fire, Red Horse

Your birth chart was generated using the Chinese Stem-Branch Calendar system. The Stems, upper row in the chart, are Five Elements which are Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth. The Branches, lower row in the chart, are 12 animal names which are related to Five Elements. The following Five Elements distribution chart is produced from your birth chart. Five elements
Metal.gif
Metal (you) 55
Water.gif
Water (kids) 41
Wood.gif
Wood (money) 39
Fire.gif
Fire (job) 75
Soil.gif
Soil (mom) 106

Here we select an element from the Five Element chart as your Lucky Element. The Chinese Yin-Yang Five Elements describe the BALANCE. When the Five Elements are balanced, they are in harmony and you will be lucky. When they are out of balance, they are in conflict and cause you trouble. So your lucky elements are the ones that bring the Five Elements into balance. Usually the lucky elements are the ones with a lesser weight (score). Here we want to pick Wood as your lucky element, because your Five Elements have a better shape when the weight of Wood increases. Using the balance theory, we can predict the rise and fall of your entire life.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I just type in my year, I'm a dragon:

People born in the Year of the Dragon are healthy, energetic, excitable, short-tempered, and stubborn. They are also honest, sensitive, brave, and they inspire confidence and trust. Dragon people are the most eccentric of any in the eastern zodiac. They neither borrow money nor make flowery speeches, but they tend to be soft-hearted which sometimes gives others an advantage over them. They are compatible with Rats, Snakes, Monkeys, and Roosters.

However, when I go by my exact birthdate (02/11/1975 to 01/30/1976), I'm a rabbit:

Element: Wood Heading: East Color: Pale Green Yin/Yang: Yin/Yang balanced Chinese Name: TU Meaning: Peace Sign Order: Fourth Season: Spring Favorable Month: March Counterpart: Pisces Friend: Goat, Pig Foe: Rooster
rabbit1.gif
Positives: Wise, Astute, Docile, Thoughtful, Refined
Negatives: Cunning, Possessive, Fussy, Snob
Famous Rabbits: Orson Welles, Billie Holiday, Arthur Miller, Drew Barrymore, Nicolas Cage, Fidel Castro, Kasparov

Feb 11, 1975 to Jan 30, 1976
Rabbit people love to play under the moonlight. Quite fanciful, they respond to the power and beauty of nature and are always being pulled one way and the other to examine what they find. They are the luckiest of all twelve signs! But, it's more a result of "the harder I work, the luckier I get" than taking crazy chances. They are cautious, conservative, bright, and have a good head for business. Supremely pleasant to have around, these affectionate, naturally shy peacemakers seldom ever lose their temper. They sometimes appear to be singing the blues because of a natural but short-lived tendency towards despondency. Rabbits always inspire deep admiration and trust.
From the time Wood Rabbits were small children delighting in Story Time, Wood Rabbits have pursued knowledge. Charming conversationalists, they regale others with anecdotal glimpses into literature, history, and current events. They are lifelong members of the Legendary Rendezvous for People in the Arts and are frequenters of bookstores, libraries, and halls of academia. Their innate cunning makes them superb players not only in the game of chess but the game of life. No wrong moves allowed! Wood Rabbits are alert to new experiences, hang-loose philosophically, and very generous to friends and love ones. But, here's some good advice to Wood Rabbits everywhere! Find a good financial advisor. You might think it's hip to be The Big Spender, but, hey, look at it this way, what are you going to do on that rainy day? Hmmmmm? A little frugality will do you a world of good. Love Life for the Wood Rabbit is filled with rapturous sweetness, so incredibly generous in affection, it puts the partner's head in a spin. Fireplace cuddles are the way of life.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a rat!

Element: Water Heading: North Color: Light Blue Yin/Yang: More Yin Chinese Name: SHU Meaning: Charm Sign Order: First Season: Winter Favorable Month: December Counterpart: Sagittarius Friend: Dragon, Monkey Foe: Horse
rat1.gif
Positives: Charismatic, Affable, Intelligent, Sociable, Quick-witted, Popular
Negatives: Exploitive, Deviant, Calculated, Secretive, Greedy, Acquisitive
Famous Rats:
Diego Maradona, Lauren Bacall, Gene Kelly, Buddy Holly, Alan Alda, Charles Aznavour, Marlon Brando

More specfically I'm a Wood Rat ( found here http://www.tuvy.com/entertainment/chinese_horoscope.htm)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Arial,Helvetica]WOOD RAT Horoscope[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Arial,Helvetica]Feb 5, 1924 to Jan 23, 1925
Feb 2, 1984 to Feb 19, 1985
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+2]Rat[/SIZE][/FONT] people are so charming and attractive they are always surrounded by friends and admirers. They can also be lone tumbleweeds, seldom making lasting friendships. Known as Perfectionists, they never want to lose face. It takes an understanding friend to get them to "put on the dancing plumes." Rat people have vivid imagination and are known for creating extraordinarily magic moments in time. Not surprisingly, the sensitive Rats have the gift of insight and clairvoyance, so you better watch out what you think around them! Rats enjoy being leaders and pacesetters and usually enjoy extraordinary success in life.
Hearty Bean Soup is one of the keys to good health for a Rat!!

WOODtrim.gif
Wood rats don't care about firecrackers and whiz-bam-boom special effects. Still waters run very deep! Somewhat introverted and shy in social gatherings, Wood Rats nevertheless make a big impact when it comes to career, finance, and entrepreneurial projects. A big ego keeps this one focused on the big picture, talking only when necessary to make the next move. The enterprising Wood Rat knows and lives the rules in human dynamics: compromise, flexibility, "playing it by ear," the Golden Rule, and generosity. In the Love Boat, don't expect the Wood Rat to whisper a lot of sweet nothings; again, still waters run deep. They don't need words, they ACT their love, showering affection, kindness, and respect on their loved ones, who love them in return. Famous RAT people: Richard Nixon, Shakespeare, Prince Charles, Julia Child, Louis Armstrong, Prince Andrew, Andrew Lloyd-Webber, Kathleen Battle, Albert Finney

Ya know its not all that inaccurate either.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
And...:
E-Sky8.gif
C-Sky8.gif
Female Metal
E-Sky6.gif
C-Sky6.gif
Female Earth
E-Sky2.gif
C-Sky2.gif
Female Wood
E-Chicken.gif
C-Earth10.gif
White Chicken
E-Cow.gif
C-Earth2.gif
Brown Cow
E-Rabbit.gif
C-Earth4.gif
Green Rabbit

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm an Earth Rooster. I didn't realize there was a further breakdown of the signs using the elements before. Looking this up reminded me of this previous related post.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=571563&postcount=4

Happy New Year!

While most people think of the Chinese zodiac as a twelve part cycle, it is actually a sixty part cylce as each of the five elements modifies each of the twelve animals. The system can further be broken down based on the hour of your birth which produces an companion animal to refine the horoscope.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

And in the past an increase on girl babies being dumped in the garbage to perish.

Unfortunately it is more often than note female children that are not wanted during this year as they are more likely to bring disgrace to the family. :(

It's because Fire Horses are very chauvanist or feminist, females are femanist, even sometimes down to the point of feeling that men are inferior and have little use to society. The Chinese culture went totally against this making the women very difficult to "control" and fit in, so it was considered highly unlucky to have a female Fire Horse baby so they just got rid of them.

While most people think of the Chinese zodiac as a twelve part cycle, it is actually a sixty part cylce as each of the five elements modifies each of the twelve animals. The system can further be broken down based on the hour of your birth which produces an companion animal to refine the horoscope.

It is broken down into Years, Months, Days and Hours in a "4 pillars" chart. Each animal and the element effects each other, each animal, as well as being pairdd with an element has a ruling element also.

I'm an Earth Monkey but Earth is a metal sign so that has some bearing on it also.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as I know, I'm a Wood Rabbit but I'm about to follow the link (is that similar to the Yellow Brick Road :)?) and confirm.

Ah, well according to the site, I'm a Water Rabbit. I don't know if that's right but I can't imagine that they'd've gotten wrong such a fundamental as what periods the elements span.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The elements occur once every 5 years, they follow in pattern like the animals.

Rabbit years are:
1999 Yin Earth Rabbit
1987 Yin Fire Rabbit
1975 Yin Wood Rabbit
1963 Yin Water Rabbit

This is what the web site ways about me

Element: Metal Heading: West-South-West Color: Yellow, Gold Yin/Yang: more Yin Chinese Name: HOU Meaning: Imagination Sign Order: Ninth Season: Summer Favorable Month: August Counterpart: Leo Friend: Dragon, Rat Foe: Tiger

Positives: Imaginative, Ingenious, Resourceful, Versatile, Persuasive, good sense of humor
Negatives: Mischievous, Sly, Restless, Superficial
Famous Monkeys: Joan Crawford, Martina Navratilova, Bob Marley, James Stewart, Omar Shariff, Gillian Anderson, Caesar

I dunno about my foe being Tiger though, I get on OK with Tigers, my notes say Monkeys and Tigers get on as long as they don't try and interfere with each others plans. And what's this about those Negatives? I thought they were positives?

Latest Discussions