Not talked about...
Hidden.

:asian:
chufeng

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current issue of Inside Kung Fu (Feb. 2003) has an article on ngor chor (ngo cho), though it tries to relate it to JKD.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chiduce
I teach Clandestine Black Dragon Kenpo Karatejutsu & Butokutsuru Ryu Kenpojutsu. The Black Crane Kung Fu was mentioned as another chinese style, which was suppose to be what this posting is about. The changes were made to black crane kung fu by Shaolin. Why, it did not say or justify. The Black Crane information came from the Shaolin Gung Fu Institute online.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

So your saying the Chin Na system was changed by shoalin and called Crane. But that doesn't mean the original Chin Na system was changed, just the new system created. Right ?

7sm

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Probably gonna mess the name up. But the Lohan Fist. Or there is also the Long Fist, unless they're the same. Chinese MA mess me up.

OP
D

dogma173

I know several styles, wing chun, choy li fut, crane, hungar, Dragon, jeet kuen do, eagle claw. There way more styles I just listed the ones that came to mind.

Kennesten

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Chinese styles, but I am very interested in learning one and I am going to research some this summer to determine what I will study. I'm surprised (and a bit disoriented) at the enormous quantity of them -- how do you guys keep track of them? I guess what I'm really wondering is how I can find out which kind I might be interested in?
There are many different styles of swordsmanship in Japan, but they can typically be organized into five or six types, with further subdivisions in those types. With Chinese MA, all I know is that there is Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and Wing Chun (which is a later derivative of Kung Fu?), and also an assortment of internal arts. Basically, what's the best way of looking at the whole world of Chinese martial arts from the perspective of someone who is looking for a style?

Thanks!
Nicholas Lauridsen

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by dogma173
I know several styles, wing chun, choy li fut, crane, hungar, Dragon, jeet kuen do, eagle claw. There way more styles I just listed the ones that came to mind.
Do you know them? I doubt you really "know" them

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
This might be hard to find, but the nationalists under Chaing tried to compose a comprehensive list of all the extisting CMAs in the 1930s. I think they ended up with something like 6100 external styles and something like 20-odd internal ones - while many of these may be substyles or variations on a theme, and many have surely died out in the cultural revolution, a comprehensive list will end up very, very long.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shaolin.com has a pretty good list
also shaolinwolf.com

Huo Fist, Drunken Fist, and i have to repeat mantis :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you practice Jow Ga? I've always had an interest in that system. My sifu knows a few Joe Ga forms, I'm about to learn one of them I believe its called Small Tiger?

7sm

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Do you practice Jow Ga? I've always had an interest in that system. My sifu knows a few Joe Ga forms, I'm about to learn one of them I believe its called Small Tiger?

7sm

i've been training in jow ga for about 3 1/2 years now. siu fok fu (small tiger) is one of my favorites! i fell in love with jow ga the moment i saw it. let me know what you think of the form when you start learning it!

-ft

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hu Ren Qianzai Long said:
Hey Guys! I'm trying to make a complete list chinese styles(not substyles) So, any styles that you know about would totally help.
Thanks!

I know that I am way behind here, but define sub-styles?

Also here is a list of Chinese styles, to name a few.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?dsid=2222&dekey=List+of+Chinese+martial+arts&linktext=List%20of%20Chinese%20martial%20arts
Baguazhang (Pa Kua Chang) - Eight-Trigrams Palm
Bajiquan - Eight Extremes Fist
Bak Mei - White Eyebrow
Black Tiger Kung Fu
Chaquan - Cha Fist
Chuo Jiao - Poking Feet
Choy Lay Fut
Ditangquan - Ground-Prone Fist
Do Pi Kung Fu
Dragon Kung Fu (Lung Ying) (Southern)
Duck Kung Fu
Eagle Claw
Eight Shadows Style (Bayingquan)
Emei Quan
Emeiquan (O Mei Ch'uan)
Fanziquan - Overturning Fist
Five Ancestors - Wuzuquan or Ngo Cho Kun.
Fu Chiao Tiger Claw
Gou Quan - Dog Fist
Houquan - Monkey Fist
Huaquan - Hua Fist
Hung Fut -Budda style kung fu
Hung Gar - famous Kung Fu school based in Shanghai.
Hu Quan - Tiger Fist
Jing Wu Men - Jing Wu, a famous school based in Shanghai that teaches several different styles.
Jing Quan Do-Style used in by Bodyguards.
Jow-Ga Kung Fu- formed in early 1900's by combining Choy Ga, Hung Ga, as well a various Shaolin techniques. www.jowga.com
Kuen-Do
Lau Gar (Lau family style)
Leopard
Liu Shing Ch'uan (Luixinquan)
Liuhe Bafa ( Liu He Pa Fa, Lok Hup Ba Fa)
Long fist kung fu (Northern Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu)
Mei Hua Quan ( Plum Blossom Fist)
Mok Gar -Mok family style kung fu
My Jong Law Horn
Nan Quan
Northern Praying Mantis
Paochui - Cannon Fist
Phoenix (Wu Jia Quan Fa or Wu Jia Dragon-Phoenix style)
Piguaquan - Chop-Hitch Fist
Praying Mantis: see either Northern or Southern Praying Mantis.
Rat Kung Fu ( Choy Gar)
Sanda or Sanshou
San Soo
Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan
Shaolin Quan
Shuai Chiao (Shuaijiao)
Shequan - Snake Fist
Southern Praying Mantis
Tai Chi Chuan (T'ai Chi Ch'uan, Taijiquan) - Ultimate Supreme Fist
Tang Lang Hu Shi - Praying Mantis Kung Fu and Tiger Style Kung Fu
Tantui - Spring Leg style
Tien Shan Pai
Tongbeiquan - Through-the-Back Fist
Tueh Ming Sin'Kung - art of the deadly battle fan
Turtle Kung Fu
White Crane
White Tiger New Style taught in Hong Kong
Wing Chun - Eternal Spring Fist
WingTsun
Wudangquan
Xingyiquan (Hsing-i Ch'uan) - Shape-Intent Fist
Xinyiba
Xinyiliuhequan - Heart Mind Six Harmonies Fist
Yau Kung Mun
Yingzhaoquan - Eagle Claw Fist
Yiquan (I Ch'uan)
Yue Chuan (Yue-family Ch'uan)
Zhuan Shu Kuan
Zuijiuquan - Drunken Fist

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Tibetan sister arts are Lama Pai, Tibetan White Crane, and Hop Gar.

Fukien White Crane, which of course is completely different from Tibetan, and I think has numerous substyles like Feeding Crane, Flying Crane, Hopping Crane, etc.

White Ape
Eight Step Praying Mantis
Tai Mantis

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue...I was about to repost that link that you was so gracious to supply me with in the other styles thread.
Glad to see you back and how was China?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
i've been training in jow ga for about 3 1/2 years now. siu fok fu (small tiger) is one of my favorites! i fell in love with jow ga the moment i saw it. let me know what you think of the form when you start learning it!

-ft

I will, my sifu keeps that form as one of his favorites to perform. He went to a tourney several years back and beat a jow ga school with that form so now he wont teach it to just anyone! Haha, hopefully I can make it look good enough to not make him regret teaching it to me :) HE says if I learn it I have to make it look good.

7sm

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I will, my sifu keeps that form as one of his favorites to perform. He went to a tourney several years back and beat a jow ga school with that form so now he wont teach it to just anyone! Haha, hopefully I can make it look good enough to not make him regret teaching it to me :) HE says if I learn it I have to make it look good.

7sm

wow. that school should be ashamed of itself. letting someone from a different style use their form and beat them with it. *shakes head*

i'd love to see a video clip of you doing it. there a quite a few subtle nuances to the form that i want to see if you sifu caught! ;) i'm going to buckle down and make some clips of myself doing some forms. a little nervous, but I am ready for my close-up mr. demille! :ultracool

-ft

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
wow. that school should be ashamed of itself. letting someone from a different style use their form and beat them with it. *shakes head*
Heh, yeah thats why he's proud of it I think :) I couldn't tell you how much trouble I would be in to have a Jau Ga student come and beat my bung bo form! Eeewww, man that would be bad :)

funnytiger said:
I'd love to see a video clip of you doing it. there a quite a few subtle nuances to the form that i want to see if you sifu caught! ;) i'm going to buckle down and make some clips of myself doing some forms. a little nervous, but I am ready for my close-up mr. demille! :ultracool
Once I learn it I'll try and post it. My kung fu brothers and I just started putting all our forms on video, I'll post a few once they get transfered over.

7sm

Latest Discussions