Chinese Styles

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Hey Guys! I'm trying to make a complete list chinese styles(not substyles) So, any styles that you know about would totally help.
Thanks!

OP
S

SifuAnderson

of course you have the three internals hsing-i of which there are two styles shanxi and honan(I may be wrong on that last name I might be thinking of foods) then there is the 6 styles of tai chi ( yang, sun foo chen yin, and yang{yes there are two yang styles}. then there is shaolin , northern and southern, short and long fist. there is white lotus chang chuan. you can add the forbidden arts of white tiger, and white eyebrow. chi na and suagio are arts in themselves.ba qua chang and that is about all i know of.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
There are six styles of tai chi? I don't doubt there are some less popular or lesser known styles, but I thought there were only five major styles -- Yang, Chen, Sun, Wu, and Wu (Hao). I don't think I've ever heard of Foo and Yin styles, or a second Yang.

OP
T

theneuhauser

someone recently found a neat webpage with a listing of alot of styles and a description for each.

i think it might have been arnisador, can you shoot us that link again?

i talked to the guy and we made some corrections but i cant remember his webpage:(

he was a nice guy and basically is trying to build up a really good database from scratch, so he welcomed any help we could offer.

maybe i can find that old thread......

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

ok just a question but why would white tiger and white eyebrow be considered forbiden arts? and to add to your list of style... there are hung gar and wah lum pai

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

ok just a question but why would white tiger and white eyebrow be considered forbiden arts? and to add to your list of style... there are hung gar and wah lum pai

One of the stories I've heard about White Eyebrow (pak mei/bak mei...named for the founder's white eyebrows...go fig) is that it was designed for fighting against Shaolin kung fu.

As with most stories regarding the history of many of the Chinese systems, this should be taken with a grain of salt...maybe a salt lick.

Cthulhu

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

yeah i agree that things should be taken with a grain of salt i havent seen anything negative like that about pak mei... i did some searching but and found out there is a school about an hour from me... it doesnt mention it being designed to fight against the shaolin but it doesnt say much about the history of the style at all just gives their lineage... and yeah ive seen the white tiger stuff about being the emporers bodyguards style but dont get why it would be forbiden... but it does seem to be extremely rare only found one school in the US and its in California of course... and your welcome for the reference to Wah Lum Pai but did not know it was rare??? ive been working with a school here in nashville but have not been in a few months due to having to pay some other bills which sucks i really like the style

OP
T

theneuhauser

awesome!
who is the sifu in nashville?

i think bak mei was one of those martial arts that was developed in a tong(secret society). some of them worked for the emporer and some were just like gangs, in general they were more secretive because of the nature of their different work. i would expect that the finer details of the early years would be still buried in history or lost alltogether.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

the wah lum sifu here is Jim Smyer... and here is a brief description ok pak mei... "Pak Mei Kung Fu was created by the Taoist Monk Pak Mei,during the Ching Dynasty in China. He began his training in the Shaolin Temple at Sung San Mountain. After leaving the temple, Pak Mei traveled to Ngo Mei Mountain where he refined his art. Pak Mei's Martial Art was passed on to Gwong Wei, the only heir to the system who named the style Pak Mei Kung Fu out of respect for his teacher. The style was then solely passed to Jok Fat Wan who traveled with his disciple Lin Sang from Northern China to Southern China, eventually ending up at the Gwong How Temple in Canton. Grand Master Cheung Lai Chun began his training in Pak Mei Kung Fu in the Gwong How Temple at the age of 24 after being introduced to Jok Fat Wan by Lin Sang. Cheung Lai Chun was already a Sifu and well versed in 3 styles: Dragon,Lee Ga and Wanderers.Lin Sang his training brother did not have an heir or any students. Grandmaster Cheung Lai Chun was considered (A MAN OF MATCHLESS KUNG FU SKILLS) and was undefeated throughout his matrial arts career. He was one of the Famed 3 Tigers Of The East River Region, and earned the title of The 7 Southern State Champion. In 1949,Grandmaster Cheung Lai Chun moved to Hong Kong and in the fall of 1964, he died at the age of 84 in Hong Kong."

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

choy lee fut, lan shou, lama pai, white crane, black tiger, im sure ill think of more later

OP
C

CWong

Hung, Lau, Choy, Li, and Mok gar, Wing Chun and Eagle Claw.

OP
C

Chiduce

Shaolin Quan;
Lu He Ba Fa;
Baguazhang;
Pong Gua Noon;
Qin Na;
Black Crane;
Tai Shing Pek Kwar:
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Hey Guys! I'm trying to make a complete list chinese styles(not substyles) So, any styles that you know about would totally help.
Thanks!
There are hundreds if not thousands... I doubt anyone knows all of them from the top of their head :p

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure there aren't too many to be listed. It will take some work, but should be able to be done.

7sm

Latest Discussions