Chinese Spear and WC's pole

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. It relies more on speed than power needed with a more solid pole.

The spear is usually much lighter and more flexible, so there is a bit more finesse that can be used with it and the actions can be made as large or small as needed.

You can also come down on their lead hand to slice before stabbing. Pole is just a heavier version that uses more body power for displacement and blasting in with the strike.

Understood
So, in the latter, if his forward hand is struck, causing him to release his weapon or in essence causing him to quit etc...would you say this is compliant with 'the pole does not make two sounds '?

Oh, and thx for the info on spear. I've never even seen or held one so it's interesting to read about.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, in the latter, if his forward hand is struck, causing him to release his weapon or in essence causing him to quit etc...would you say this is compliant with 'the pole does not make two sounds '?

In essence, that's just saying to open the attack line and take it asap. So, if you've done that, then you've followed the one-sound principle, since a stab or pole thrust is usually a finisher but doesn't make a loud crack.

Oh, and thx for the info on spear. I've never even seen or held one so it's interesting to read about.

They are fun. Very light and smooth handling, and the flexibility allows for some blinding speeds at the tip from a little movement at the base.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In essence, that's just saying to open the attack line and take it asap. So, if you've done that, then you've followed the one-sound principle, since a stab or pole thrust is usually a finisher but doesn't make a loud crack.

They are fun. Very light and smooth handling, and the flexibility allows for some blinding speeds at the tip from a little movement at the base.

Ahhh. Ok. I think I see what you mean. You are saying the loud crack of pole on pole is 'the sound. Then, the thrust to the body/target is the finisher, but not necessarily counted as a beat. Maybe(?)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhh. Ok. I think I see what you mean. You are saying the loud crack of pole on pole is 'the sound. Then, the thrust to the body/target is the finisher, but not necessarily counted as a beat. Maybe(?)

Right. One sound doesn't mean one beat, because poles don't have elbows.
You can't usually just strike in with the pole without first opening the line.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok. I see now. Thx for your time on this LFJ.

Reactions: LFJ