Chin Na

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who regularly practices Chin Na in their training?
If you do, do you have a favorite China Na technique or move?
I really like wrist locks, especially those that lead to strikes.

Peeling the Orange is one of my favorites.

7sm

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice chin na as part of tai chi training, mostly as manuevers relate to the form. when we do stray from what is in the form, the techniques don't really have names... so..

what is peeling the orange?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is hard I think to find common names for Chin Na techniques. Peeling the oragne is on ethat works from a grab to the wrist. (It can be used in many different scenarios, but this is the easiest to learn it from) The opponant grabs your wrist, you rotate at the elbow basically bringing the palm of your hand up and facing you. You then use your other hand to reach around in front of your raise arm adn grab their hand. Your fingers should really be placed at their knuckles. Basically then you "Peel the Orange" peeling their fingers off your wrist and continuing the circle to effectivly perform a wrist lock.

It can be used off of a punch as well.

7sm

wingchunner

Orange Belt
Reaction score
On a regular basis...
I think one of my favorites is one that we call: "skin-na". Basically, grabbing skin expeciallly on the neck, and either pulling and/or twisting.

Our chinna comes directly from our push hands and chi sao training.

Marty

C

CloudChaser

i learned a few chin nas from a previous school as well as pressure point techniques... unfortunately, i can't remember much... is breaking a hold part of chin na too?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes, hold breaks are a part of chin na, especially turning that hold into one of your own.

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have done some Chin na and we are told that its all in our forms! One technique we have done is where you block a punch and push the opponents elbow upward or inward and thus knocking them off balance! I also have books on Chin na By Yang jwing ming, very interesting but theres only so much you can learn from a book! But Chin na is fascinating and I would love to learn more about it!

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite technique is probably the "heaven looking"...similar to a standing guillotine applied from a side position. It can be applied in a very gross motor kind of a way. My personal touch is to throw a sweeping elbow after parrying and side stepping an attack. You can then use the elbow to pry up the oponents chin and pull their head back into a guillotine like position while controlling their body with an arm bar on the attacking arm.

I used it once when a guy tackled me in a friendly soccer game...I guess he wasn't too friendly =) I didn't really modify anything even though I was on the ground at the time. The conflict was over fast. With the chin na applied he said, "What the hell are you doing to me." I squeezed a bit, he struggled for breath and I let him go. Next thing I know, he said "Jeezus that was crazy." and we were all playing soccer again!

R

RHD

7starmantis said:
Who regularly practices Chin Na in their training?
If you do, do you have a favorite China Na technique or move?
I really like wrist locks, especially those that lead to strikes.

Peeling the Orange is one of my favorites.

7sm

Chin Na is integral to my training. Every move has Chin Na applications or involves Chin Na in some form as a part of the technique. I like a tehcnique we call "Roll and Press". It works well both on arms and legs.
Mike

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My favourite is a fan change (pass from front hand and catch with my rear hand) on the lead arm of an opponent's open stance opening out into an elbow strike to the head with the lead arm while the body does a straight arm bar with the rear hand, all while doing a crossover step to the outside. Turn the body and a forward trip completes. If the opponent resists by bending the arm you follow with a T-shaped lock (figure 4 chicken wing) to the same arm, moving in the other direction while sweeping in an O-soto gari like fashion (sorry for the JMA expression in a CMA forum).

I figured this out all by myself from the components, but I then saw an almost identical flow in a Bagua video I bought last week.

The beauty of the move is that you cannot reliably catch a hand, but brushing and catching is quite possible. Ask any catch wrestler. If you miss the elbow strike still lands and your hands are high.

When an opponent is extending a lead arm you must be wary of the rear arm which can wallop you pretty hard. Moving to the outside takes you away from the rear hand's power.

The trip falls into place, your feet are just there.

I managed to teach the follow on to a chap with only weeks of locking experience. It is a very simple technique to flow into, with an elbow to the face to keep it moving.

It actually looks vaguelly chinese.

T

tumpaiguy

Those are very common moves in Kajukenbo Tum Pai. It is very hard to catch a punch in mid air. It is much simpler to brush block then grab. Brush blocks allow you to feel the attack without triggering a response from the attacker.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We use lots of joint lock techniques in our style. I have 2 books on Chin Na and I look for similarities in the techniques documented in those books to the techniques we practice in class, then try to graft them. I can't always make it work, but when it does it is sweeeeeet. It's what we call "putting a little extra love into it" LOL.

W

WLMantisKid

My favorite is one where the opponent punches, we slap it with the opposite hand (if they punch with left we block with right) bring the other hand under and around and grab the wrist and elbow, pull their arm in and push our elbow over theres, essentially pushing all of our weight onto their locked out elbow and pulling them down. When done fast enough - can snap their elbow.

T

tumpaiguy

Tai Chi is a big part of our art. All of the moves I see described here are moves we use quite often in training. Chin Na is all about being sensitive to your opponents every move and always keeping in contact with him. I love the "rolling elbows." If you really want to make it fun throw in the groin as target and kicks also.

F

FasterthanDeath

It is integrated into techniques and what I do love about it is the simplicity of it!!!! One technique is called breaking twigs, and its used when a person either throws a straight or wide punch and you sort of pop the arm with both hands creating a sandwhich effect which breaks there arm before they finish their stride. Very neat!!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite chin-na applications from Taijiquan is "small bind" (shao tran), an application of Needle at Sea Bottom.

S

SPQR

I never practised any of CMAs. However, I've looked at a couple of Chin Na books and loved it. I plan on trying it to supplement my hapkido practice. Do you think it's a good idea?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hapkido would fit very well with chin na in fact many believe that hapkido came from a system of chin na. The principles will work very well together.

7sm

S

SPQR

7starmantis said:
Hapkido would fit very well with chin na in fact many believe that hapkido came from a system of chin na. The principles will work very well together.

7sm
Really? I thought it came from the Japanese Daito-Ryu.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said....many believe. There is a difference of opinion there I believe. We are also talking further back than that though. I'm not really that knowledgable about it, I spoke with a Hapkido instructor for quite a while about it, but I'm not versed in it.

7sm