chil sung and yuk ro hyungs on video

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Hwa Sun in Vol 2. Is not the current version of Hwa Sun.

:) Ask your local USSBDMDK Kodanja!

Thank you! I didn't realize that, NOT being a Ko Dan Ja, I'm not privy to the latest updates. Although I've noticed that our hyung are constantly being updated and revamped in minor ways.

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Hwa Sun in Vol 2. Is not the current version of Hwa Sun.

:) Ask your local USSBDMDK Kodanja!

This is quite possibly true, if you look through the books version and also in a fairly famous photo of KJN Hwang Kee he is sitting with one leg out and one leg in half cross legged position with both arms extended in a jang kap kwan. That move WAS NOT in the peformance SBN Kozak and SBN Willard did in March. BUT... i have a photo of KJN HC Hwang in the very position his father was in in that famous photo during a performance of Hwa Sun at last years USSBDMDK Nationals in San Diego... so, go figure.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
There has been a major revision to the Hwa Sun in the USSBD organization. Not sure why, but it just happened within in the last 2 or 3 years.

Reaction score
I agree with some of you that think is better to have a teacher to learn Yuk Ro or Chil Sung hyungs, watching a vido does not give the feeling and purpose to each movement... only the practie built the teacher

Reaction score
Also is true that every strategie to learn yuk ro and chil sung hyungs could be useful, there are the Tang Soo Do volumes, but it is difficult to follow because all the conective movements are registered in there, only by seeing them or practice them

Gi1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes it's the link moves etc. that are hard to pick up from text, photos and sometimes even video.

MasterPistella

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you go on youtube & type in "Joe Bruno" or "Master Joe Bruno" he is doing a form. I don't remember the name, but it is listed in GM C S Kim's book. Is that by chance Hwa Sun?

MCzapka

White Belt
Reaction score
Video that you mentioned is named "Master Bruno's Demonstration"?

I don't know what that form is but it is NOT a Hwa Sun.
Hwa Sun is very long (about 100 movements) form.

Last edited:

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
The form name is Hwarang. It is a form that is unique to the International Tang Soo Do Federation members. If memory serves me correctly, the form was created by Chun Sik Kim when he started or shortly after creating the International Tang Soo Do Federation.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone found any Sahl Chu or Choong Ro on youtube? (Yuk Ro O and Yuk dan respectively)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not on YouTube. I have them on DVD and I have the book that they are in, so I can answer questions, but that's about it. I've been working on translating the book for a while, but it is a slow process.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been out for a while at a military training course....with little to no internet, but I'm back and on the boards again!

Is there something specific that you're looking for or is it more the forms in their entirety?

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just was looking for videos of each in the set just for collection purposes. I don't train them (yet...might try to pick them up, not sure). I like watching good performances of any form. One of my instructors has a great H.C. Hwang performance on VHS... I need to get him to put it on DVD.

mattkulma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am actually going to be filming all the Hyung I know in the next few weeks. I know 1-6 of the chil sung's and 1-5 of the yuk ro's. Hopefully seeing myself performing my hyung will help me make corections and be good memory tools for when things slip my mind.

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is what's really sad about Tang Soo Do & Soo Bahk Do Associations they don't want to share knowledge with anybody but their own group, what every happen to sharing technique, hyungs, self-defense skills and other thing of this nature, is everybody that self centered about something so miner than sharing Hyungs with each other regardless which group we belong to. GM Ferraro, trained with GM H.C. Hwang, and the Chil Sung, Yuk Rho hyungs that are part of the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan are pretty much up to date, and if there are some differences than that just makes my point, change what already been made so it becomes a big secert, that only students of that group can get or learn, it's a sad day when martial artist of the same style can't share because of the group they belong to.

Sincerely
Ken Barrett

Latest Discussions