chil sung and yuk ro hyungs on video

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TSDMDK16485 said:
does anyone know where to get all 7 chil sung and all 6 of the yuk ro hyungs on video or dvd???

Those forms were created by the KJN Hwang Kee and the upper level are especially guarded. You may find some amatuer stuff out there for the lower. For instance, in all of my experience, I have NEVER seen the seventh chil sung demonstrated...

Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to learn any of those forms from video. There are a lot of applications that just won't be understood by watching the motions. You need a teacher for this stuff. Sorry... :idunno:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir, does the MGK have all 7 Chil Sungs AND all 6 Yuk Ros on video? And are they available for public purchase?

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Those forms were created by the KJN Hwang Kee and the upper level are especially guarded. You may find some amatuer stuff out there for the lower. For instance, in all of my experience, I have NEVER seen the seventh chil sung demonstrated...

Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to learn any of those forms from video. There are a lot of applications that just won't be understood by watching the motions. You need a teacher for this stuff. Sorry... :idunno:

Kyo Sa John,

I have a Sa Bom performing Chil Sung Chil Ro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNoK7KoSwPw)on my youtube pages and a Kyo Sa performing Chil Sung O Ro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsbVTCQtAw). Also have Yuk Ro 2(Chung Jul - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rN9pv8wk) and 3(Po Wol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_EC5qVVEn8) being performed by 2nd Dans. I dont think they are as guarded as they once where... i asked permission to put that stuff up from my two regional examiners (one of whom is my instructor) and the only performance i was expressely forbidden from posting was a killer performance of Hwa Sun Hyung. I think they figure these days its almost iimpossible to keep that stuff from getting out publicly and actually what better way to get the art more exposure. They have been trying to drum up membership for a while no and the internet is a great way to do it.

Also there is a great performance of Chil Sung Yuk Ro on youtube by a Sa Bom from the NY area (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCh7FrVhKVY).

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
BTW, the first three chil sungs are on videos for sale from the USSBDMDK federation and are performed by no other than Kwang Jang Nim H.C. Hwang. I would say if you want the most accurate perfomances of these hyung the son of the man who created them is a pretty good benchmark to go by.

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
In fact, here are all seven... 6 on YouTube and one on MySpace Video

Chil Sung Il Ro -
Chil Sung Ee Ro -
Chil Sung Sam Ro - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4406377
Chil Sung Sa Ro -
Chil Sung Sa Ro (Another performance. Worse video quality but performed by a Sa Bom) -
Chil Sung O Ro -
Chil Sung Yuk Ro -
Chil Sung Chil Ro -

Amazingly enough, Chil Sung Sam Ro was the most difficult to find. Well, if i hadnt been the one to post Chil Ro then that one probably wouldve proven to be the toughest to find, i guess. Anyways, there they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Joel,

Thanks!!! I REALLY want to at least watch someone do Hwa Sun. I understand the protective instincts of the USSBDMDK, but I just wanna see it :)

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I could show you, but then i'd have to kill you. ;-)

Actually, if i could, i would. But i was expressly forbidden to show that one in particular. Sorry, sir.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I could show you, but then i'd have to kill you. ;-)

Actually, if i could, i would. But i was expressly forbidden to show that one in particular. Sorry, sir.

My dad is Sir, call me John. When I get my MD you can call me Dr. J if you want, John will work then too. Yeah, Hwa Sun is under wraps for now. Eventually I will see it (the new version... Mi Guk Kwan has the old version in their curriculuum).

:)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that it is published in one of the Federation's books. I would imagine that if you can make it to a Federation event, it would probably be demonstrated. Although I haven't been to many, the senior belts tend to like to demonstrate that one in particular.

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe that it is published in one of the Federation's books. I would imagine that if you can make it to a Federation event, it would probably be demonstrated. Although I haven't been to many, the senior belts tend to like to demonstrate that one in particular.

I believe it is a Yuk(6th) Dan and above form. As you may recall, my instructor performed it at the regionals along with SBN Willard. It is published in the Soo Bahk Do Volume 2 textbook available from the federation. A bit of a hefty price for non members though at 85 bucks (50 bucks for members. Still a bit pricey IMO).

The book contains the following hyung...

Naihanji Cho Dan
Naihanji Ee Dan
Naihanji Sam Dan
Jin Do
Lo Hai
Sip Soo
Kong Sang Koon
Sei Shan
Wang Shu
Ji-On
O-Sip Sa Bo
Du Moon (Yuk Ro Cho Dan)
Chung Jul (Yuk Ro Ee Dan)
Po Wol (Yuk Ro Sam Dan)
Hwa Sun

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand why on net video resources cant find any video of Hwa Sun or Yuk Ro 5-6 ;/ why your organisations forbid you put Hwa Sun on the net?

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand why on net video resources cant find any video of Hwa Sun or Yuk Ro 5-6 ;/ why your organisations forbid you put Hwa Sun on the net?

Well, i just do what im asked with regards to that. I don't make a habit of not doing what my instructor asks of me. I don't think the 4-6 Yuk Ros are forbidden, just Hwa Sun. It's just that performances of those hyung seem somewhat rare. I don't even know at what level those forms are taught at. kodanja level i would wager.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it is a Yuk(6th) Dan and above form. As you may recall, my instructor performed it at the regionals along with SBN Willard. It is published in the Soo Bahk Do Volume 2 textbook available from the federation. A bit of a hefty price for non members though at 85 bucks (50 bucks for members. Still a bit pricey IMO).

The book contains the following hyung...

Naihanji Cho Dan
Naihanji Ee Dan
Naihanji Sam Dan
Jin Do
Lo Hai
Sip Soo
Kong Sang Koon
Sei Shan
Wang Shu
Ji-On
O-Sip Sa Bo
Du Moon (Yuk Ro Cho Dan)
Chung Jul (Yuk Ro Ee Dan)
Po Wol (Yuk Ro Sam Dan)
Hwa Sun

Yep, :) Honestly I was just a bit too lazy to get up and go look at my bookcase. :) I thought it was in there!!!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I believe there are some links to the higher Yuk Ros on You Tube floating around somewhere. But I haven't seen any of Hwa Sun either. I've seen the Hyung in person, but that is all.

I really don't think that it is a matter of forbidding it, more just preference.

At the risk of going WAY off topic and getting into another big political debate....The US SBD Federation is generally pretty protective of material like that. Over the years a lot of KJN Hwang Kee's intellectual property (Hyung) have been capitalized upon by other authors and organizations (please ignore any connotations, as I will refrain from posting my personal opinion on this matter). Therefore, they tend to want to hold on to the ones that haven't "leaked." You can buy many books that have published at least the first 4 Chil Sungs. Honestly, since the Hyung have been ruled (not sure what level court) as nothing more than an organized dance and therefore un-"copyrightable," there is little that the Federation can do to anyone who publishes them. Along those lines, I am SURE that many of the other organizations' Kwang Jangs know the forms and it is nothing more than respect that keeps them from publishing them. I do not know if they are taught within those other organizations.

On top of that, they are very great to see, but in general, these organizations tend to want to keep people from trying to learn the form from the internet or a video. This is one that I agree with. Learning a form WITHOUT the assistance of a certified instructor is not a good idea and contributes greatly to the degredation of any art. Its like photo copying something too many times. If you don't have a good copy to begin with, 5 copies later, it will be REALLY bad.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Hwa Sun in Vol 2. Is not the current version of Hwa Sun.

:) Ask your local USSBDMDK Kodanja!