Chest workouts

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of push-pull... you work one area of muscles, you work the complimentary set. For instance, you work biceps and triceps, quads/hams, chest/back.

If you are trying to increase bench/pushup reps, try working auxillary muscles that are used, including triceps/shoulders.

some of the mentioned push up alternatives are great, breaks up the monotony. body weight exercises, at least for me, can get boring. I've always enjoyed time on the bench!

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Neal said:
...the benefits of a well designed age/skill set appropriate lifting program far outweigh any risks.

Indeed they do. The trauma potentially experienced from "excessive, heavy lifting" is due mostly to ignorant training.

The "growth plates" are the epiphiseal lines located on the bones...simply a non-fully matured section of the bones allowing for continured growth.

Contact sports such as American Football and Rugby pose a greater risk to damage in these areas...you break your upper arm and the damage crosses the plate it interferes with that bones (and thus arms) growth.

***Also important to note that will any amount of work there are agonists (prime movers: here delts, tri's, pecs), antagonists (Opposite: Here Lats, Post Delts, Rhomboids, Bi's) and Synergists. It is important to strengthen all these muslces not only as antagonists, for example, for as prime movers. So...ROW, ROW, ROW. Bent BB and DB rows, Low pulley ros if ya like but complimentary strength is important!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
...So...ROW, ROW, ROW. Bent BB and DB rows, Low pulley ros if ya like but complimentary strength is important!
All good advice sir; as always.

I remember reading an article on Ronnie Coleman less than a year ago and his quote was "Row, your back into shape". Good advice.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Take two phone books (or you can buy push up stands) place one under each hand so that you are able to drop your chest further down.

Execessive use of weights by young teenagers as a whole has not been proven to stunt growth. They may do damage to the spin or growth plates if they were to lift (overhead, mostly) excessively or improperly (basically a safety issue for all of us).

I am glad to hear that a 14 year old is so concerned with his health and that he has taken the time to do some research on the subject.

Good luck with your training.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holy cow! Look what happend to bobster_ice! He is a s big as ShirtRipper! :)

Attachments

• $kid.jpg
    $kid.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 101

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bobster_ice said:
Cool, could you explain it to me please?
And again, thank you very much for your replies
Sorry about the delay. I didn't notice your post until now. My work out sessions can be found here at this site
http://www.live2befit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15261#15261
If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm sure shirt ripper can tell you anything you need to know. That guy's full of knowledge you know.:)

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
That guy's full of knowledge you know.:)

Thanks for the kind words, dude.

..and just for the record, the picture used as my avatar as cropped above is not me...that Paul Anderson.

Latest Discussions