Cheness Carbon Steel Iaito (Type 8)

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have one? Any pros/cons? I am thinking of picking one up for kata only. I know the carbon steel is more work than aluminum alloy. I'm interested in balance. At about 2lbs with a balance point of 6 inches above tsuba does this feel point heavy or would it be ok for practice sessions of say 1 hour or so? I have a pre WWII era katana that is realy heavy and takes its toll on me (wrist, elbow) after long periods of use.

Thanks

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have one, and love it for the combo of price and quality for the money. It is also the same weight as my shinken (also a Cheness), so the extra weight isn't as big a deal for me as it might be for others. Yes, the balence feels a little forward, but since it handles the same as the blade I have/use for live cutting, it helps with the aspect of the sword arts that I want to improve most.

I highly recommend, if you go with the Cheness steel iaito, that you get the one with the groove. It will give instant, audible feedback on your technique. I have greatly benefitted with mine.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Despite the price, Cheness seems to put out good blades. This is quite surprising, especially given the skyrocketing costs of steel these days.

It never hurts to have both an aluminum alloy iaito, as well as a good quality steel one, since the first can be used to develop finer techniques, and the second one can help build up strength.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone have one? Any pros/cons? I am thinking of picking one up for kata only. I know the carbon steel is more work than aluminum alloy. I'm interested in balance. At about 2lbs with a balance point of 6 inches above tsuba does this feel point heavy or would it be ok for practice sessions of say 1 hour or so? I have a pre WWII era katana that is realy heavy and takes its toll on me (wrist, elbow) after long periods of use.

Thanks

I have purchased 2 cheness blades... the 1045 Maru, and the 9260 Bujinkan OniYuri "Ninja" sword. Cheap *** fittings, decent enough blades. My oniyuri came too dull to cut with, but since you are buying an Iaito, thats not really a worry... If you don't mind the plainess of the fittings and the cheap tsukaito I'd say go for it.

Latest Discussions