Cheness Bujinkan Katana

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Incidentaly, I wasnt too impressed with the cutting ability of this sword.

Maybe It was our technique... we cut just fine with the PPK, but because of the different dimensions of this blade, maybe the technique is very different.

Maybe the blade wasnt sharp enough.

I can't honestly say, as I lack the experience to do so...​

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Incidentaly, I wasnt too impressed with the cutting ability of this sword.

Maybe It was our technique... we cut just fine with the PPK, but because of the different dimensions of this blade, maybe the technique is very different.

Maybe the blade wasnt sharp enough.

I can't honestly say, as I lack the experience to do so...
Well, basicly, the ninja to was not supposed to be a "cutter" per se, its use was more tactical and situation, it was customized to the specs of the user, kind of like a ninja "swiss army knife". I urged cheness to make a Mogito version but it did not happen.

I did think that it cut well for its configuration, however it would not be my first choice as a "cutter", but I do think it did was it was intended for.

markk bush
www.bujinmag.com

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
Well, basicly, the ninja to was not supposed to be a "cutter" per se, its use was more tactical and situation, it was customized to the specs of the user, kind of like a ninja "swiss army knife". I urged cheness to make a Mogito version but it did not happen.

I did think that it cut well for its configuration, however it would not be my first choice as a "cutter", but I do think it did was it was intended for.

markk bush
www.bujinmag.com

I hope that they eventually come out with a mogito version!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
So, then, mine may be dull.

Probably not, like I said, it cut well for its design, but like you, my Hanwei Practical plus cut much smoother.

I dont mean to take anything away from the Oniyuri, the Cheness spring steel is great, it is really forgiving, but as I said, it is a specialty sword, by it's nature it will not cut as smooth as a shinken designed specificaly to do so.

So yeah, a mogito version would be golden. I agree with Don as well, a 12" handle would have felt much better.

Still, I would not pass this sword up. In fact, I want 2. one live and one that I wll dull myself to have a nice mogito.

Perhaps the next time we have Luke Molitor out we can ask him to cover Togakure Ryu Ninja-to techniques.

markk bush
www.bujinmag.com

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
Probably not, like I said, it cut well for its design, but like you, my Hanwei Practical plus cut much smoother.

Well mine cut like we were smacking the tatami with a boken. Was that your experience?

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have one of these of my own now. Totally unexpectedly.

Tuesday night's class was very small (9 people) as I knew in advance it would be, since many in the dojo were out celebrating Hallowe'en in various ways. But these folk are incredibly devious, and how they could have gotten that way just mystifies me. At the mid-class break I was chatting outside with one of my black belts, and at one point he changed his position as we talked, moving to my other side on the sidewalk for no obvious reason. I did notice this -- as an executive/dignitary protection professional I'm trained to take note of anomalous things -- but quickly dropped it as he adroitly kept me focused on the conversation. In actuality he was directing my attention away from the dojo doorway (which I'd previously been facing) to keep me from noticing what was going on inside; and had the group been an assassination team I might have died. :eek:

It makes me so proud. :cool: :D

When we walked back in, there in the center of the floor was a longish box which could only contain a sword, and a camera on a tripod had been set up at one end of the dojo and focused on that part of the floor.

Yes, it was a Cheness Oniyuri, with the "updated" tsuba. There also was a card inside the box signed by all those who had contributed toward it, many of whom were not even there for training that night.

I still am not sure why they picked that evening, except perhaps for the fact that they knew it was the night of the old Celtic New Year festival of Samhain, which has now become Hallowe'en, and that this meant something to me. But whatever -- I freakin' LOVE this sword!

Mine has a different tsuba, as noted above, from the one Markk tested and wrote about in his bujinmag.com article. Also, while the cotton tsuka-ito is not really optimal, on mine it's quite tight. As Don Roley noted the sword seems to be sort of a Kukishin/Togakure hybrid; I'd have been fine with a somewhat shorter tsuka but I really don't mind this one either. I've done a lot of drawing and other moving-around stuff with it over the last couple of days, and still have all my appendages and an intact saya. The sword is "beefy" yet well-balanced and agile, great for either one- or two-handed work.

The sword is not really optimized for tameshigiri, as others have noted; and it's certainly not a "objet d'art" either. What it is, though, to me, is a good, inexpensive, well-balanced, functional weapon. Kinda like a ninja-to in those respects.

And now, when the zombies come, I'll be ready!!!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dale,

That was a nice surprise.
icon14.gif

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At thier price you could remove the edge and have a nice mogito. The spring steel is highly resistant to bending, one reviewer bent the blade at 90 degrees and it went right back. hopefully the blade has a good feel.

Markk Bush

I know this thread is old, but I just saw Cheness now has this sword without an edge:

Non-Sharp Oniyuri Katana (with Bo-hi)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - Blunted[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN STOCK NOW![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] (New Item). (ONLY $199.99)[/FONT]

So if you were lookin for a really really basic but functional non-sharpened practice "ninja sword" they have em now.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I just saw Cheness now has this sword without an edge:

So if you were lookin for a really really basic but functional non-sharpened practice "ninja sword" they have em now.

I saw that too! I would love to get one. The only thing that would worry me is grabbing the wrong one! :eek:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that too! I would love to get one. The only thing that would worry me is grabbing the wrong one! :eek:
We use "red guns" in police training. If a gun IN A TRAINING SCENARIO has red tape on the grip and barrel (or is even all red) -- it's supposed to be an inert/non-firing model. We use different colors to mark Simunitions type guns, as well. You might apply a similar approach; put red tape on the hilt/handle of "unedged edged weapons."

But we also always double and triple check that no live weapons/live ammo make it into a training environment. For example, we might practice room clearing one night with 5 of us; one instructor and a 4 man stack. Before we start, everyone checks their own gun. They then check someone else's. And then the instructor checks EVERYONE's (and someone else re-checks his). We repeat this procedure after any break where people might have left the training environment.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use "red guns" in police training. If a gun IN A TRAINING SCENARIO has red tape on the grip and barrel (or is even all red) -- it's supposed to be an inert/non-firing model. We use different colors to mark Simunitions type guns, as well. You might apply a similar approach; put red tape on the hilt/handle of "unedged edged weapons."

But we also always double and triple check that no live weapons/live ammo make it into a training environment. For example, we might practice room clearing one night with 5 of us; one instructor and a 4 man stack. Before we start, everyone checks their own gun. They then check someone else's. And then the instructor checks EVERYONE's (and someone else re-checks his). We repeat this procedure after any break where people might have left the training environment.

I was thinking after I posted that... I would have to mark the practice sword with something like that, that would really get my attention. On top of being vigilant about visually checking it as well.

Latest Discussions