Anybody know who Glen Levy "ninjitsu expert" is?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He is listed as a "leading stuntman and ninjitsu expert" in the synopsis for a new show on the science behind martial arts that is going to be on the National Geographic Channel this August?

Anybody ever heard of him? What is his actual bacground?

I think he had something to do with the XMA bs that was on the discovery channel, so that can't be good.

see here

http://www.realitytvwebsite.com/news070606c.html

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ginshun said:
He is listed as a "leading stuntman and ninjitsu expert" in the synopsis for a new show on the science behind martial arts that is going to be on the National Geographic Channel this August?

Yeah, I recognize the name, he was a Mighty Barfing Power Ranger.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ninjitsu spelling alone is a red flag. Google turns up nothing other than a claim of 5 dan ranks on IMDB...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I think that I have just lost interest in watching that show!
Yeah, it's kind of like "Masters of the Martial Arts Presented by Wesley Snipes" from 1998, featuring Ron Duncan. :rolleyes:
A side note: someone must have goofed at IMDB. The Ronald Duncan listed as appearing in that show died in 1982. :lol:

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:

Anybody ever heard of him? What is his actual bacground?

I think he had something to do with the XMA bs that was on the discovery channel, so that can't be good.

see here

http://www.realitytvwebsite.com/news070606c.html

Yeh i saw that.......guess i will wait for the show to air........

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glen’s lack of ego and hunger for filmmaking has made him several connections and warm friends in the entertainment industry, both locally and internationally. Glen continues to train and teach “hyoujutsu” a Martial Art he created through the combination of several other fighting forms, emphasizing fluid defensive movements with superior angling methods.

Source: Glen Levy

IMHO, this is not going to be anything beyond pure entertainment, with regards to Ninjutsu.

It airs on 8/20.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang.

Carol Kaur said:
My AIM ID is: SS7Expert

I'm only an SS7Expert. And I can't get a dan rank in that either. I'm starting to feel deprived. :(

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glen continues to train and teach “hyoujutsu”
Ah, I see. This must be some type of spin-off of the Bronx, NY-based style F-you-jutsu... :lol:

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, the show has some good martial arts representation (a Gracie, Dan Inosanto, ect.), but it looks as though they really dropped the ball when it came to their "ninjitsu expert"

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Well, the show has some good martial arts representation (a Gracie, Dan Inosanto, ect.), but it looks as though they really dropped the ball when it came to their "ninjitsu expert"
Who knows.... He may be a ninjitsu expert. :p

imaybehurt

White Belt
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this thread and I have found this hilarious.

We as martial artists should be able to stop fearing what we don’t understand and upmost, realize that you can’t judge on face value.

I am one of Glen Levy’s students and have been for many years. I have heard first hand of the stories from the States.

The art we are taught is called Hyoujutsu, which is more a series of concepts than an art.

My teacher studied Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu for 12 years, which makes him more than qualified to speak on the subject. Although, he also told the producers of the Nat Geo show, that what he was demonstrating is more a hybrid of the 13 systems that he has learnt in the last 25 years than it is of Ninjutsu.

Upon arriving back from the states, we heard how Glen continued to ask production to change the spelling, as it was wrong, and to stop calling him an expert. One of the first lessons Shidoshi Levy told us was to not call him Shidoshi, and that nobody is an ‘expert’ because there is always someone who is more of an expert than you… and there is always more to learn, and that is how we evolve.

As Americans, surely you know how the film industry blows everything out of proportion in order to make copious amounts of money.

I had been learning martial arts for 12 years before meeting Glen, and despite the fact that he can perform superhuman feats, which rival most Shaolin monks, (No offense) he is the most humble and nicest man I have ever met.

He doesn’t want fame or money he just wants to share his love of the martial arts to the world, hence agreeing on the invitation to appear on the show for free. This is what made me choose him as an instructor over the many meat-head instructors that I have met world wide. He doesn’t wear uniforms or any of the many belt rankings he has achieved.

Remember “Judging at face value on the street will get a man killed” not that smart for anyone that has studied Ninjutsu. ie Hensojutsu, Gisojutsu etc

David Chan

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
imaybehurt said:
My teacher studied Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu for 12 years,

With who?

Reason, I ask, see, is that its the traditon I am most interested in, but It was my understanding no one was teaching it specifically... that you had to learn Koto and Gyokko first... and their are 7 other ryu in there as well.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
imaybehurt said:
My teacher studied Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu for 12 years, which makes him more than qualified to speak on the subject.

Not in my opinion. He has been trainining less than a lot of people here. And it is probable that he has not been as exposed to the subject as you may think.

Take a look at someone like Kizaru, who speaks and reads fluent Japanese and lives in Japan training in the art. Quite simply put, he has far more ability to see and understand the lessons of Hatsumi. If your teacher claims to have been training in Togakure ryu for 12 years, my guess is that maybe he does not even know the difference between Koto ryu and Togakure ryu 'cause what Technopunk said is correct.

Of course, you probably are getting a few things wrong yourself. What you say is not exactly what your teacher probably said so there will be a lot of confusion. You might want to check and get exact quotes from your teacher before you respond. I have been misquoted before by well-meaning folks. I suggest you make your teacher aware of this thread and either get exact quotes or have him come here himself to answer questions. And if he does not want to bother, you might want to take that as a hint from him to not speak in his name.

rustyself

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well, reguardless of his history, he has great balance:)

i know nothing of the art, except for a local guy that taught ninjitsu in the local community center. i was 7 and was also in judo, and when we passed our first test, he had us dye our belts......

thats when i left.

Zaii

White Belt
Reaction score
imaybehurt said:
I just stumbled upon this thread and I have found this hilarious.

We as martial artists should be able to stop fearing what we don’t understand and upmost, realize that you can’t judge on face value.

I agree with you about juding things on face value, but not quite in the way you mean.

The art we are taught is called Hyoujutsu, which is more a series of concepts than an art.

My teacher studied Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu for 12 years, which makes him more than qualified to speak on the subject. Although, he also told the producers of the Nat Geo show, that what he was demonstrating is more a hybrid of the 13 systems that he has learnt in the last 25 years than it is of Ninjutsu.

A google search for "Hyoujutsu" yielded this: http://www.thatninjaguy.com/

The URL of that website says volumes and the content appears to be geared around using the NG show and the stunts performed on it as a publicity piece.

Upon arriving back from the states, we heard how Glen continued to ask production to change the spelling, as it was wrong, and to stop calling him an expert.

Curiously, he had no problem continuing with filming despite misrepresentation, no?

As Americans, surely you know how the film industry blows everything out of proportion in order to make copious amounts of money.

The film industry doesn't deal in reality all the time, or even a majority of the time, and it's debatable if they ever truly do. This is a common fact, as you've said. Given that knowledge, if a person had qualms about a project, why would they participate in it?

I had been learning martial arts for 12 years before meeting Glen, and despite the fact that he can perform superhuman feats, which rival most Shaolin monks, (No offense) he is the most humble and nicest man I have ever met.

The "Shaolin" by and large today is a fantastic parlor trick put on by some skilled stage magicians and various performers, and while quite captivating, has very little to do with authentic martial arts. There are no "Shaolin" monks in this day and age, bu there a bunch of actors who are quite skilled in wushu, putting on an excellent show.

He doesn’t want fame or money he just wants to share his love of the martial arts to the world, hence agreeing on the invitation to appear on the show for free.

He appears to be a talented acrobat and performer, but what was on that show delivered by him had very little to do with martial arts, and if he isn't after hype, why did he agree to play along with the whole "ninja warrior" bit? I particularly am amused by that silly hammerfist spot, and the "explanation" following it that really didn't explain anything at all. Yes, people can die from well placed blows in certain places to the body, but that hammerfist demonstration was ridiculous.

Remember “Judging at face value on the street will get a man killed” not that smart for anyone that has studied Ninjutsu. ie Hensojutsu, Gisojutsu etc

David Chan
Again, when their credibility or the credibility of their teacher is threatened, everyone invokes "the street" as part of their explanation. That's often a cop out.

Latest Discussions