Cheness Bujinkan Katana

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheness Cutlery released a new Kat this month called the

"Oniyuri Custom Bujinkan Katana"

I was looking at their Onibasu, because it was the closest thing I could find to a Togakure-ryu sword, but now I see that they have this one...

What do you guys think?

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Cheness Cutlery released a new Kat this month called the

"Oniyuri Custom Bujinkan Katana"

I was looking at their Onibasu, because it was the closest thing I could find to a Togakure-ryu sword, but now I see that they have this one...

What do you guys think?

Mine will be here any day, I am reviewing it for bujinmag.com, it should be live next week.

Markk Bush

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
Mine will be here any day, I am reviewing it for bujinmag.com, it should be live next week.

Markk Bush

I have one coming too... I had to get one.

I hope you remembered to get the one without the Bo-hi this time.

:p

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are these the guys that have made swords for Hatsumi sensei in the past?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Jeff,

No I do not believe it is them. (though I am not one hundred percent sure) However, they have observed that there is a growing need for these types of training tools and hopefully their product will be good.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
Well... I guess my next question would be... Do they have permission to use the Bujinkan name?

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Well... I guess my next question would be... Do they have permission to use the Bujinkan name?

This is a touchy situation, as they did not try to capitalize on the Bujinkan name out of the blue, rather some Bujinkan students asked them to make the sword to certain specs..........so the name is only used for identification purposes. The next question you might ask is "why did they not just make the ones for those who requested them". Well, since it takes a long time (and money) to create a sword, they had more made as other students would shurely want them.

Really, if you talk to them you will see that there was no ill intent in the use of the name, especially since the owners are not Bujinkan practitioners and probably couldn't care less if we have the sword. I think we are fortunate that someone had them made for us.

Markk Bush

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
This is a touchy situation, as they did not try to capitalize on the Bujinkan name out of the blue, rather some Bujinkan students asked them to make the sword to certain specs..........so the name is only used for identification purposes. The next question you might ask is "why did they not just make the ones for those who requested them". Well, since it takes a long time (and money) to create a sword, they had more made as other students would shurely want them.
I read the description, so I knew it wasn't a cheap knockoff with the Bujinkan name slapped on. With morons like the head of the Bujinkan Brian Dojo running around, it is indeed a touchy subject from both sides.
Really, if you talk to them you will see that there was no ill intent in the use of the name, especially since the owners are not Bujinkan practitioners and probably couldn't care less if we have the sword. I think we are fortunate that someone had them made for us.
They do look nice. And I would consider buying one in the future (read "when I can sneak a new toy purchase by the gf" :lol:). I wasn't trying to paint anyone in a bad light, I was just honestly curious if this was some kind of "official" product.

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I read the description, so I knew it wasn't a cheap knockoff with the Bujinkan name slapped on. With morons like the head of the Bujinkan Brian Dojo running around, it is indeed a touchy subject from both sides.

They do look nice. And I would consider buying one in the future (read "when I can sneak a new toy purchase by the gf" :lol:). I wasn't trying to paint anyone in a bad light, I was just honestly curious if this was some kind of "official" product.

I'm curious to see how they handle. I urged them to make a mogito version as I think people would be using them with a training partner as opposed to cutting exclusively, they wanted to see if there were a lot of requests for that, so we shall see.

Markk Bush

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ironic thing is that the tsuka is too long.

The last time Hatsumi got the mogito made for Togakure ryu, it was the year after he had the Kukishin sword made. The tsuka for the Kukishin sword is supposed to be longer than normal. The Togakure ryu sword is supposed to be longer than that for a wakizashi, but only about as big as for a normal katana.

Well, the maker came back with the sword with a tsuka the same length as he had made for the Kukishin sword. Someya has the older version Hatsumi commisioned and if you try doing things like kage no itto with both you see the advantages of the correct version.

Any way to get one with the tsuka the same size as for a normal katana?

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
The ironic thing is that the tsuka is too long.

The last time Hatsumi got the mogito made for Togakure ryu, it was the year after he had the Kukishin sword made. The tsuka for the Kukishin sword is supposed to be longer than normal. The Togakure ryu sword is supposed to be longer than that for a wakizashi, but only about as big as for a normal katana.

Well, the maker came back with the sword with a tsuka the same length as he had made for the Kukishin sword. Someya has the older version Hatsumi commisioned and if you try doing things like kage no itto with both you see the advantages of the correct version.

Any way to get one with the tsuka the same size as for a normal katana?

I remember Luke Molitor saying that there were no set specs, that the Togakure ryu sword was customized for te users specific needs. tht being said, I am sure certain specs work best for certain applications.

The Cheness swords seem to be in a constant state of improvement and alteration, be it better steel, hardening process, fittings, etc.. I know that were working on about 3 variations of this one.

I will ask about the handle length. Would 11-12" be what your looking for?

Markk Bush

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am definately interested in one but I need to see a review of it first.
I rarely buy lower end live sword's though. I generally prefer to save and buy live shinken of quality. If they had a mogito version I would probably buy one tomorrow. It is very cool though in the last few years the increasing number of people making Budo Taijutsu products.
icon10.gif
I look forward to your review Mark and Technopunk's as well!

Brian R. VanCise

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I rarely buy lower end live sword's though. I generally prefer to save and buy live shinken of quality. If they had a mogito version I would probably buy one tomorrow.
Brian R. VanCise

At thier price you could remove the edge and have a nice mogito. The spring steel is highly resistant to bending, one reviewer bent the blade at 90 degrees and it went right back. hopefully the blade has a good feel.

Markk Bush

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
At thier price you could remove the edge and have a nice mogito. The spring steel is highly resistant to bending, one reviewer bent the blade at 90 degrees and it went right back. hopefully the blade has a good feel.

Markk Bush

Hey Mark,

That is definately a very good point! I am looking forward to hearing what you and technopunk think when you get your sword in. Take care.

Brian R. VanCise

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping mine would be here today, but no luck.

Last sword I ordered from them came in 4 days, so I was hoping the same of this one... no such luck.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
I will ask about the handle length. Would 11-12" be what your looking for?

That would be about right- but I can't own a copy here in Japan. If they make it still a few years from now, I can get a real version of a sword that I have been practicing with for years in Japan. Heck, for that matter, since the version I have is the one with the long tsuka the current version should fit that bill.

At this point I do not know where I will be moving back to and don't know how harsh the regulations about weapons are. But I am sure I can own a sword in my house.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, mine came today.

The Fittings are BEYOND cheap, although I expected that from Cheness... its how they can make the swords so inexpensive.

The balance on the sword is nice, it draws well and feels clean when I swing it. Honestly, for a short blade, it think it has the comfortable feel of a full size katana.

I have not cut with it... so I can't speak for that...

cpoints

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't wait to get one.I think I will order one today! Have to talk to the Wife. So wish me luck;)

Latest Discussions