Chen Xiaowang announces the creation of his 9-posture form

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was getting Chen Xiaowang confused with another guy who was student of Feng, who also is named Chen but I can't remember the rest of his name. The forms I had learned were under Feng's lineage and the other Chen guy would come and do seminars for my first sifu so may have been different from the 9 form that is under discussion. My confusion.

To my knowledge, Chen Xiaowang never did seminars at my first sifu's school.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was getting Chen Xiaowang confused with another guy who was student of Feng, who also is named Chen but I can't remember the rest of his name. The forms I had learned were under Feng's lineage and the other Chen guy would come and do seminars for my first sifu so may have been different from the 9 form that is under discussion. My confusion.

To my knowledge, Chen Xiaowang never did seminars at my first sifu's school.

Likely Chen Zhonghua, not of the Chen Taiji family but damn good

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

yes I think that's him, and no, he is not part of the Chen Taiji family, just has the same name is all. And yes, he is extremely good, but I still don't believe in the seminar method of teaching a system.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

yes I think that's him, and no, he is not part of the Chen Taiji family, just has the same name is all. And yes, he is extremely good, but I still don't believe in the seminar method of teaching a system.

oops, nope, that's not him. I'll do a little google-fu to figure out who I'm thinking of.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It seems to me people who don't train in chen taijiquan or
Under chen xiaowang line without knowing all the facts
Have made there own conclusions.

I really don't have have anything to add to this thread. Hopefully
People who do train in chen taijiquan can ask their teacher about it.
I'm not trying to be confrontational oak, but there are plenty of people around who train in Chen, some under Chen Xiaowang some not. Chen Xiaowang has been doing this a long time and a lot of people have experience with him and his teaching and methods. Chen Xiaowang's students and their students tend to be overly enamored of him and his methods. Others know better. I'm not saying he's a bad guy and he's very good at what he does, but money is an evident motivater of his actions, not just spreading Chen family Taijiquan.

OP
S

sicko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We're a small group of people learning LaoIja. WE're now on half way there, after 2 years!
In fact, if you want to do quality Chen style you need time and patience. It's a hell of an art.
The 9 form it's a nice fresh thing, I just hope this wont be the only thing he'll do in the next years in the european countries.
And we have practice 3 times a week with him + free individual trainings.

I believe in Xiaowang. I just hope he didn't put all European people in the same sack and that the origin of his work will be lost to us.
I just hope that Chen style won't become lost of roots like Yang it's right now.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blind sage
I am part of chen xiaowang line as my teacher is one of
His main students. I also am on the chinese forums(only in hanzi)
That is focused only on chen taiji. If people don't like
The form that is fine don't do it. But calling chen xiaowang
Something he is not or bashing him by saying he only does it
For money without having all the facts is hearsay.
Let me leave it with this, chen xiaowang has an enormous
Responsibility being the figure head of chen village this includes
Meeting with government officials and implementation of construction
On chen village there is more to why and what he does and it really
Isn't anyones business. That is why I made the comment
That students who study in the line like I do can ask there teacher.
If you truly still have questions on xiaowang motives
Why not get your balls in hand and confront him your self.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not trying to be argumentative nor am I trying to commit Chen Blaspheme, I have meant, trained with, had lunch with and talked to Chen Zhenglei and I would train with him again if I had the chance...and had the knees for it, but the truth of the matter is that the Chen family puts everyone they teach into different categories (like just about every other sifu that comes from China). There are those in China at their schools that are Chinese and speak Chinese (some speakers are not Chinese) and there are those outside of China. The ones in China are taken much more seriously than those outside of China from the start. Now outside of China they have serious students, potential students and people that show up at their seminars and there are far fewer serious and potential outside of China as compared to in. Now the serious and potential (outside of China) also go to the seminars but there are a large number that show up that they simply will not take seriously. And some of the serious take care of their visas, housing and entertainment and they would not even bother coming here if they were not getting paid.

Now even knowing this I would train with Chen Xiaowang if I had the chance (and the knees) and it is possible that he came up with the 9 form purely for altruistic reasons… or it could be for money. Time will tell and if he starts a series of 9 form seminars and makes it required then I vote money. If he teaches it where he feels it is necessary or where it is requested then it may be altruistic…or somewhere in between. But currently I am leaning towards money, sorry but that is what I believe. Saw it happen first hand with my first sifu but then I also know the Chen family really does not like my first sifu, and yes, they do know who he is, but regardless this 9 form, to me, sounds an awful lot like Taiji form 1 and Taiji form 2.

If in fact it is as an intro to Laojia Yilu then why is it needed at all. Do a seminar and teach the first few forms of Laojia yilu and then end it. Next time around extend it until you get to the end. Now I also suspect that it may have to do with the impatience most have in learning taijiquan. The “I want to be a master now” kind of thing and if you train laojia yilu for years a few days at a time it is likely people will stop showing up out of impatience. So you give them a short form (although I thought the 19 was pretty short) and they’re happy and keep coming to your seminars. If in fact that is it then the students of those seminars are as much to blame, maybe more so, than the sifu that is giving the seminar

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just hope that Chen style won't become lost of roots like Yang it's right now.

That is why you look for Yang Lineages that come from Fu Zhongwen, Tung Ying Chieh and a few others and not so much Yang Zhendou and Yang Jun (yup, that will get me into trouble :cool:)

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blind sage
I am part of chen xiaowang line as my teacher is one of
His main students. I also am on the chinese forums(only in hanzi)
That is focused only on chen taiji. If people don't like
The form that is fine don't do it. But calling chen xiaowang
Something he is not or bashing him by saying he only does it
For money without having all the facts is hearsay.
Let me leave it with this, chen xiaowang has an enormous
Responsibility being the figure head of chen village this includes
Meeting with government officials and implementation of construction
On chen village there is more to why and what he does and it really
Isn't anyones business. That is why I made the comment
That students who study in the line like I do can ask there teacher.
If you truly still have questions on xiaowang motives
Why not get your balls in hand and confront him your self.
If you're comfortable in your teacher and your system, then your comments should reflect it, criticism shouldn't bother you much. I know Chen teachers and students in the Chen Xiaowang line. They're good at what they do, and enjoy it. But I see what I see, and hear even more from others who know even more than I do. I'll stand by what I say. And like I said before, Chen Xiaowang folks will get their panties in a bunch.