Chapterhouse: Dune

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich asked for my opinion of the book when I was finished.

Hmm.

One specific incident in the book makes me wonder why more people haven't called for a ban of it.

Lots of stuff going on, but that's usual for a Frank Herbert book. I describe them as 'dense'. Lots of material in a small amount of space.

I think I'll need to give it another read or two to find out exactly what happened. One definite feeling I came away with: he wasn't done with the story.

Cthulhu

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Rich asked for my opinion of the book when I was finished.

Hmm.

One specific incident in the book makes me wonder why more people haven't called for a ban of it.

Lots of stuff going on, but that's usual for a Frank Herbert book. I describe them as 'dense'. Lots of material in a small amount of space.

I think I'll need to give it another read or two to find out exactly what happened. One definite feeling I came away with: he wasn't done with the story.

Cthulhu

C

I agree with all you said. I needed a second reading before I could put it all into prospective.

And he was defintely not done writting :(

:asian:

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to his son, extensive notes were found for a 7th Dune book. Supposedly, the three prequels he wrote with Anderson, along with the book covering the Butlerian Jihad, are leading up to the two actually writing the 7th book.

I hope they do.

Cthulhu

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Banning Chapterhouse. Isn't that a little harsh? The worm created people even he could not fathom. That was his golden path. All other possibilities were dead ends for the human race. Whats there not to understand?
Brian Herbert does have some pretty big shoes to fill with a sequal but I'll read it if he ever writes it.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loved them all, with a notable exception of Dune Messiah. I liked Chapterhouse, and have read it a couple of times, but did not have too much difficulty switched "realities" a little. The writing style was so close, and the complexity of the book was what I liked.

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well im a little behind you guys and just finished book 1. I plan on reading the entire series. i just wonderd why you feel chapterhouse should be banned, that seems harsh, is it just poorly written?

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a scene involving a minor that many would find questionable. Not going to say anything more about it.

Other than that, it's written as well as the five books preceding it. It's clear that he wasn't done with the story, though.

Cthulhu

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally liked it, but it was hard relating it to the other books. It is a prequel, and if you read it that way, it is more enjoyable. I had friends who hated it. OH WELL! I am pretty ecclectic in my reading and pretty addicted to the printed word. It was not great ... but good!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you can locate a copy of the "Dune Encyclopedia" it'll flesh alot of things out. AFAIK its been outta print for quite some time though.

I liked the books, but they are a much 'denser' read than the STTOS stuff I was used to.

Funny enough, I read the first book due to a song by Iron Maiden.

Alot of imagry in the sci-fi movies seems to have been similar to the DE, where as the earlier attempt was more 'standard sci-fi'.

I havent read any of the 'new' books though.

:asian:

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you'll like the prequels as they're not as 'dense' as Frank Herbert's writing.

I believe the song you're referring to is 'To Tame a Land' off of the 'Piece of Mind' album. :)

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IRON MAIDEN

To Tame a Land

Steve Harris

He is the king of all the land
In the Kingdom of the sands
Of a time tomorrow.

He rules the sandworms and the Fremen
In a land amongst the stars
Of an age tomorrow.

He is destined to be a King
He rules over everything
On the land called planet Dune.

Bodywater is your life
And without it you would die
On the desert the planet Dune.

Without a stillsuit you would fry
On the sands so hot and dry
In a world called Arrakis.

It is a land that's rich in spice
The sandriders and the "mice"
That they call the "Muad'Dib".

He is the Kwizatz Haderach.
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar.

He has the power to foresee
Or to look into the past
He is the ruler of the stars

The time will come for him
to lay claim his crown,
And then the foe yes
they'll be cut down,
You'll see he'll be the
best that there's been,
Messiah supreme
true leader of men,
And when the time
for judgement's at hand
Don't fret he's strong
and he'll make a stand,
Against evil and fire
That spreads through the land,
He has the power
to make it all end.​

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (unlikely), that song got me to first see the Lynch Dune movie, which led me to the books. I've read the first three numerous times since then, but only read God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse fairly recently.

Very rich books, with lots of material. Subsequent readings always seem to lead to new revelations.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions