Changing curriculum

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the beginner students, currently we train everybody the same. I was told by everybody I know I should have a seperate curriculum for those student that are here just to be here and the workout should be geared towards them, so I need help, I teach Traditional and Olympic style TKD and I'm a hard *** paople tell me.

So for my school to grow and statr to make a enough to cover bills every month and hire instructors I need that light to medium rage workout and I have not ever had one of those so where and how should I statr this for those types of students the recreation one's

Thanks in advance for all your well thought out responses.
Terry

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a tough spot..and one I don't envy.

This is one of those catch 22's I think. How do you know *what* people are there for when they just walked in the door? How long did it take for you to figure out why you were there and what you wanted out of it when you first started?

I think it borders on the unfair to expect people to know what they want right away..they might think they know what they want ..but what they *need* may be another thing entirely and the only way you'll know is if you have the opportunity to push them harder to bring the best out of themselves.

Oh,and I doubt you're a hard *** in the classical sense :asian: :) ..you're just a demanding teacher who expects more of themselves and more from their students and there isn't any other kind of teacher to be in my eyes.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have had to look into what I see as todays method And have had to slow the workout phase to a productive step Week 1 and so on. Building up there enderance at a rate they can not feel as pushed. Then phase in the harder workout when I feel the students are in better shape. Still have a problem in the contact training and have to do the same start it light keep it there longer then move up the contact level. I do not know for sure it just seems that people though they look to be in shape are not as active as in the past so puuting back into shape requires a step program. Or you see more not return. Which in a way is fine but it does not pay the bills.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
For the beginner students, currently we train everybody the same. I was told by everybody I know I should have a seperate curriculum for those student that are here just to be here and the workout should be geared towards them, so I need help, I teach Traditional and Olympic style TKD and I'm a hard *** paople tell me.

So for my school to grow and statr to make a enough to cover bills every month and hire instructors I need that light to medium rage workout and I have not ever had one of those so where and how should I statr this for those types of students the recreation one's

Thanks in advance for all your well thought out responses.
Terry

Are the people that are going to fall into the other category, going to advance in rank, or are they just there to get a workout and possibly learn some basic SD? If they're not advancing, focusing on the fitness/cardio area is always a good start. Teaching some basic SD techniques, not necessarily part of the other material or a condensed version is another idea.

Mike

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Are the people that are going to fall into the other category, going to advance in rank, or are they just there to get a workout and possibly learn some basic SD? If they're not advancing, focusing on the fitness/cardio area is always a good start. Teaching some basic SD techniques, not necessarily part of the other material or a condensed version is another idea.

Mike

That is the problem Mike they want rank but just not the hard workout, they wan to be able to show progession without really given any dedication, it will not be Kukkiwon but just a house rank certificate.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What we do is basically the same format, but instead of dividing up the classes, we keep the classes the way they are and offer "Advanced Technique" classes for both sparring and self defense. That way, all students get the minimum requirement but for those who are more into certain aspects of the art, don't get frustrated with the "learn at one pace" mentality. Problem is, the landscape is always changing. What worked well a year ago has to be revisited and the offerings have to change with it. It seems to never end.