CBS reporter raped and beaten by Muslim men.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/op...84&format=&page=1&listingType=opi#articleFull

“[60 Minutes] correspondent Lara Logan was repeatedly sexually assaulted by thugs yelling, ‘Jew! Jew!’ as she covered the chaotic fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo’s main square Friday.”

Powerful reporting on an important story. Two problems: It didn’t run until yesterday, and CBS didn’t run it. The quote is from the New York Post. And it was The Wall Street Journal that reported “the separation and assault lasted roughly 20 to 30 minutes.”

But CBS? They sat on their own story. For five days, as reporters reveled amid giddy celebrations in Tahrir Square, and as President Obama praised President Obama’s handling of the Egyptian crisis, CBS reported nothing.

Larimore wonders if “Logan’s attack [is] an anomaly, or is it to be expected from men raised in a culture that treats women as lesser citizens?” I would point her to the 2008 broadcast on the Al-Aribiya network of a female (!) lawyer arguing that it’s OK for Muslim men to sexually assault Israeli women, because the Jews have “raped the land.” Or this week’s story of Hena, the 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl raped by a family member, then sentenced to 100 lashes by Muslim authorities for having sex out of wedlock. After 80 lashes, Hena died.

There are stories like this — and Logan’s — every week, all with the same cultural denominator.

For the record, Logan isn’t Jewish. And because she’s not Muslim, there’s no possibility she’ll face the lash.

Perhaps she was not "raped"..the story says "sexual assault" which can range from groping to all sorts of sickening things.

:barf:

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before everyone jumps on the "blame all Muslims" bandwagon, a few points:

1) Everyone knows that the "pro-Mubarak protestors" were government thugs sent out with orders to disrupt and harass, including reporters - a number of reporters have been threatened, detained, or assaulted to date by these people.

2) She was saved by a group of Egyptian women and 20 soldiers. If all Muslims are to blame for the assault, then all Muslims are also responsible for saving her.

3) **** like this happens here all the damn time. We just had a thread about a bunch of kids gang-raping a classmate.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fair points there EH, aye.

Degradation and objectification of women is proceeding apace back to earlier era's right now and it is happening in a great many places and cultural niches.

However, having a religious faith that gives it legitimacy is not going to help matters. As I've said before, usually defending it, the Islamic faith is a relatively young one and is going through all the same excesses and mistakes that Christianity did. The problem is that this is the 21st century and we cannot just stand about and wait for that faith to 'grow up'.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair points there EH, aye.

Degradation and objectification of women is proceeding apace back to earlier era's right now and it is happening in a great many places and cultural niches.

However, having a religious faith that gives it legitimacy is not going to help matters. As I've said before, usually defending it, the Islamic faith is a relatively young one and is going through all the same excesses and mistakes that Christianity did. The problem is that this is the 21st century and we cannot just stand about and wait for that faith to 'grow up'.

1600 years isn't all that young. The majority of the known world wasn't Christianized until about 1000 years ago either...

(the tradition of keeping women down is much older though....)

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course the muslim brother hood didn't send out any thugs to beat up western reporters. After all, they are just a secular group who has denounced violence and looks to increase friendly relations with the west.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course the muslim brother hood didn't send out any thugs to beat up western reporters. After all, they are just a secular group who has denounced violence and looks to increase friendly relations with the west.

Unless you have any proof, you know these types of allegations are considered slanderous.

Just because it fits your political agenda it does not mean in any shape or form that members of that group were involved, either directly or indirect.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I would reply that saying that it was people backing Mubarak is equally slanderous. We don't know exactly who it was do we? However, there were reports that they were chanting specific things in the middle of the assault, does anyone know what they were? I also think that "keeping women down," is less of a problem in the christian west today than it is in the middle east today. Where are all the femminists when there is this great femminist battle just waiting to be launched to help their sisters in the middle east?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looking at my post, I don't seem to have said that the muslim brotherhood was involved, quite the opposite if western reporters are to be believed. I am just reporting the main thoughts that are being reported by the media.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I would reply that saying that it was people backing Mubarak is equally slanderous. We don't know exactly who it was do we? However, there were reports that they were chanting specific things in the middle of the assault, does anyone know what they were? I also think that "keeping women down," is less of a problem in the christian west today than it is in the middle east today. Where are all the femminists when there is this great femminist battle just waiting to be launched to help their sisters in the middle east?

Until you walked a mile in high heels or under the burka...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are all the femminists when there is this great femminist battle just waiting to be launched to help their sisters in the middle east?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavis_Leno
Mavis Elizabeth Nicholson Leno (born September 5, 1946;[1] San Francisco, California) is an American philanthropist, feminist and the wife of talk show host Jay Leno.[2] They have been married since 1980 and have no children.[3]
A leading feminist in California,[4] as well as in the United States and internationally, she keeps a low profile in comparison to her husband, choosing instead to work behind the scenes of the non-profit, politically-charged groups she supports and runs.[5]
She has been the chair of the Feminist Majority Foundation's Campaign to Stop Gender Apartheid in Afghanistan since 1997.[2] In 1999, she and her husband, Jay Leno, donated $100,000 to the organization, to further the cause of educating the public about the plight of Afghan women under the Taliban.[6]
The organization successfully protested the construction of an oil pipeline through Afghanistan, which could potentially have brought in billions of dollars to the Taliban.[7][8]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Larimore wonders if “Logan’s attack [is] an anomaly, or is it to be expected from men raised in a culture that treats women as lesser citizens?” I would point her to the 2008 broadcast on the Al-Aribiya network of a female (!) lawyer arguing that it’s OK for Muslim men to sexually assault Israeli women, because the Jews have “raped the land.” Or this week’s story of Hena, the 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl raped by a family member, then sentenced to 100 lashes by Muslim authorities for having sex out of wedlock. After 80 lashes, Hena died.

I don't think the concern is from a bash-the-Muslms bandwagon. I've personally had to have the "I won't travel there alone" discussion a few times in my career, even before 9/11.

The Sharia states in particular tend to have a 'group' mentality that can be particularly challenging for a westerner. Travel in the Middle East during Ramadan, one is expected to fast and abstain, regardless of one's faith. At the same time, it is a very festive time. Our field engineer for the region (a Dutch fellow currently living in Oman) has shared stories about having more Eid invitations than he knew what to do with.

Where this works against us (as females) is women -- especially western women -- are often subject to harassment and hassles when traveling in Muslim nations, hassles we typically do not face when traveling elsewhere. I can be denied entry to, and exit from, Saudi Arabia if I do not have the appropriate sponsor waiting for me at the airport when I arrive. In other countries, a style of dress that would be considered formal even by Wall Street standards would be considered too risque. These hassles are amplified further when traveling alone, which is the norm for a business traveler.

When does routine hassling of western women become something worse? I don't personally want to find out.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1600 years isn't all that young. The majority of the known world wasn't Christianized until about 1000 years ago either...

(the tradition of keeping women down is much older though....)

I don't want to sidetrack the thread and I agree that the Koran was penned in about the 7th century (pulling that out of the air there, I am not sure of the exact century) but it was my perception that the faith didn't really 'get going' until more recently? Certainly in terms of the division that most of us are guilty of thinking of as being the Muslim/Islamic religion i.e. the 'nasty' one.

Time for some in depth research I reckon ... then again, searching for details of such things on the Net may well get me on a 'watch list' these days :(.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always assume that any crowd that I'm in is one beer shy of a riot. And if the crowd you happen to be in is a bunch of angry men protesting the government, it's reasonable to assume that they're going to be indifferent, at best, to the rule of law.

Flamers attacking me for "blaming the victim" in 3... 2... 1...

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to sidetrack the thread and I agree that the Koran was penned in about the 7th century (pulling that out of the air there, I am not sure of the exact century)

Muhammad had his first "revelation" in AD 610 (interstingly, he was convinced that he had been possessed, or at least encountered, an evil spirit and was going to kill himself; it was his wife Khadijah that convinced him it was actually an encounter with an angel). Further revelations didn't occur until AD 612 and apparently lasted until his death in AD 632. While Muhammad supervised the recoring of the individual Surahs he did not himself write any of them as far as I am aware. Many people claim Muhammad was actually illiterate so what effect this supervision would have is debateable (personally, I think this wasn't the case since he was a merchant and would likely have had at least rudimentary reading and writing skills; regardless though, he had others write down the verses for whatever reason).

Muhammad also had a habit of having people insert new material in texts that had already been recorded. The verses were recorded on a variety of materials such as parchment, papyrus, palm leaves, flat rocks and animal bones. There is also the probability that some of the verses of the Qu'ran were actually lost at the Battle of Yamama.

It was Abu Bakr, the first Caliph, that had the Qu'ran verses collected into one place. Once this was done Abu Bakr gave the text to one of Muhammad's widows. Oddly, the text was kept under wraps and not copied or spread fo several years. Meanwhile, different versions of the Qu'ranic text were in circulation. It was the third Caliph, Uthman who actually codified the Qu'ran and made this text the official version. This was done since areas such as Damascus and others had their own traditions regarding the text (I blieve there were four versions of the text in existence at the time, but it could have been more). Uthman formed a committee, got out the text that Muhammad's widow had apparently kept hidden since Abu Bakr entrusted her with it and had them revise the text and then distribute it throughout the empire with the orders that every other version of the Qu'ran, whether complete or a partial collection of verses, be destroyed.

One very important thing to keep in mind when actually reading the Qu'ran is the abrogation theory. Namely, the later verses abrogate the earlier verses when they stand in conrtadiction. Unlike, for example, the Catholic view that there is no contradiction in the Bible because God is the source of all truth and so cannot contradict himself the Muslim view is quite different. God in Islam is not bound by anything, even his own nature, and so is free to change his mind. (I don't have my notes with me now but IIRC there is even a verse in the Qu'ran where Allah actually says this.) Any discussion of Qu'ranic interpretation that doesn't take abrogation seriously is not going to get an accurate picture of the religion. While some individual Muslims reject abrogation it is still the view of the religion in general.

but it was my perception that the faith didn't really 'get going' until more recently? Certainly in terms of the division that most of us are guilty of thinking of as being the Muslim/Islamic religion i.e. the 'nasty' one.

You might want to study a bit of history about the spread of Islam, particularly as it spread westwards.

Time for some in depth research I reckon ... then again, searching for details of such things on the Net may well get me on a 'watch list' these days :(.

I seriously doubt this, but if this is a real concern a trip to the local library, or better still, to a near by university library would be easy enough.

Pax,

Chris

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
....but it was my perception that the faith didn't really 'get going' until more recently?

Islam grew more rapidly and displaced native religions more rapidly as it spread than in comparison to Christianity. It took 300 years for Christianity to gain widespread acceptance, before it began to spread in earnest. By comparison, Islam was spread by conquest to much of Africa, the entire middle east, and parts of central Asia, India and Europe within a few centuries. The reconquista of Moorish Spain was completed as late as 1492. The Ottoman Turks threatened Europe with conquest as late as 1683 with the Siege of Vienna, where their defeat by the Habsburgs marked the turning point in their incursions into Europe.

The Muslim world was more humane, and more advanced than their Christian counterparts, for the entire early and middle ages. The seat of science and culture in the world in 1200 was in the Muslim world, not in Europe. The decline in power started in earnest in the late 1700's, and the ascendance of Europe at the same time. This was epitomized by the centuries long decay and eventual dissolution of the Ottoman Empire after WWI.

Even so, the rise in radical religious belief and behavior is the product of the last century, and mostly the last 40-50 years. In the 50's-60's, the widespread Arab movements were nationalist in character, not religious. We've seen a recent surge in fundamentalism and extremism in Islam that is not demonstrated by their past history. It's a new development, not the old mark of a religion that never grew up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always assume that any crowd that I'm in is one beer shy of a riot. And if the crowd you happen to be in is a bunch of angry men protesting the government, it's reasonable to assume that they're going to be indifferent, at best, to the rule of law.

Flamers attacking me for "blaming the victim" in 3... 2... 1...

LOL, I don't think it's 'blame the victim' when there is a shred (or more) of truth to it.

it's a group phenomenon. You see that in any large gathering where the emotions run high. And naturally there is always the small element of people who take a situation like this for their own gratification. be it the free TV or setting a cop car on fire. Or groping an outsider.

Latest Discussions