Casting for Captain America

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have said, the WWII time frame is really the last time they could set it (in the timeline we're familiar with) where a man with Cap's beliefs could be pulled off - and he was idealized even for that time.

I think the most likely thing to change would be the mechanism that gets him to present day.

Another option I could see (that I alluded to previously) is that he comes from an parallel universe where, for instance, the post-9/11 level of patriotism didn't peter out. It stayed strong through today and Cap was the product of an effort in that universe's "War on Terror."

However, I don't think that's going to happen. I think, in fact, that they already set up Cap as being WWII. I'll have to wait until I see "The Incredible Hulk" again to double check this (or if someone else is going to see it soon, pay attention). There's a scene where Thunderbolt and Blonsky (aka William Hurt and Tim Roth) are talking. T-bolt says something about research that had been done - and I think he said it started during WWII. Blonsky replies with something like, "Super-Soldier Serum? Sure. I've heard of it."

I could be remembering it wrong - or it may be wishful thinking - but I'm pretty sure WWII was mentioned in that conversation.

Mike

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard the Cap Movie is supposed to be set durring WWII... so hopefully that rumor is true.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, I don't think that's going to happen. I think, in fact, that they already set up Cap as being WWII. I'll have to wait until I see "The Incredible Hulk" again to double check this (or if someone else is going to see it soon, pay attention). There's a scene where Thunderbolt and Blonsky (aka William Hurt and Tim Roth) are talking. T-bolt says something about research that had been done - and I think he said it started during WWII. Blonsky replies with something like, "Super-Soldier Serum? Sure. I've heard of it."

I could be remembering it wrong - or it may be wishful thinking - but I'm pretty sure WWII was mentioned in that conversation.

Mike

You memory is quite sharp and correct. I saw the film just yesterday.

Now that Marvel have taken more control in the creation of their material we are seeing better choices for roles and a development of the presentation of the whole Marvel world. The Incredible Hulk has Ed Norton, who looks much more like how Bruce Banner is supposed to. There are allusions to super soldier programmes during WWII. We are seeing more than one or two superhumans in films and there are references to others as well.

I think that they had to update Ironman's origin to suit technology. But they have done it before. Originally he was a prisoner of a Chinese warlord (Titanium Man) during the Korean War, which was later retro fitted to the Vietnam War.

Captain America is very different though. His reason for being is the conflict with Nazism. Even his origin has a story of how he comes to the modern (orignally the'60s) world. I truly hope that they don't mess with it. Because if they leave it be then the character will not appear to be a manifestation of the current US policies.

And remeber this is all leading up to The Avengers. We have a few to go yet.
The Hulk
Thor
Ironman
The Wasp
Giant/Ant Man
Captain America

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard talk for years of the Captain Mavel (Shazam) movie with the Rock as Black Adam

That would be great..Someone once said no one would believe the whole storyline..IMHO If done correctly it would be as believeable as Harry Potter...

The Justice League movie was shelved last month after many British actors were cast in most of the parts. I don't remember the rumoured reasons for that.

Too bad..Maybe the thought of US superheros with UK accents???

Note: my son is name Clark. How awesome is that?AoG

Very Awesome..

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And remeber this is all leading up to The Avengers. We have a few to go yet.
The Hulk
Thor
Ironman
The Wasp
Giant/Ant Man
Captain America

While I am generally a "purist" and like to see the movies stick to the comic books reasonably closely, but I can see them doing the "X-Men trick" and drastically changing the composition of the original team to fit hollywood better. I just can't see "The Wasp" and "Giant/Ant Man" doing well with today's audience. Not the most interesting characters...plus, no one knows them!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I am generally a "purist" and like to see the movies stick to the comic books reasonably closely, but I can see them doing the "X-Men trick" and drastically changing the composition of the original team to fit hollywood better. I just can't see "The Wasp" and "Giant/Ant Man" doing well with today's audience. Not the most interesting characters...plus, no one knows them!

Interesting that you say that because there are suggestions that Hank Pym will get a go 'round as Ant Man, but no mention of The Wasp, though they usually come as a pair. You're right it may need a bit of a rethink about team composition - maybe the Swordsman and Hawkeye.

Latest Discussions