Casting for Captain America

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ign.com reports that there are rumors that the studio has a short list of 2 A list actors that they want for the role of Steve Rogers aka Captain Amerca... Leonardo DiCaprio & Brad Pitt.

I would be more than fine with Brad Pitt. After seeing him in the movie Troy I can easily see him take a physical role such as Captain America.
Lets hope Leonardo's name was just a rumor and that's all......I refuse to EVEN take that choice seriously.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/881/881582p1.html

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
DiCrapio as Cap'n America? Them's fightin' words. They dare not.

The Pittman would be a better choice...

Don't think Brad's right for Thor, though. Need someone with a HUGE physique for that role, IMO

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Whoever is doing the screenplay is gonna have to be VERY careful how they portray Cap. He will be a VERY tough character to "sell" right now.

But done right, maybe it'd get us all thinking about just what America is supposed to be instead of what it is right now.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ugh, DiCraprio as an action hero? :lol:
They need someone younger anyway if they're going to do the origin story, as they have with all the other Marvel movies...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They might retrofit it. Iron Man was originally set against the Vietnam War.
It'd be hard to retrofit Cap. The patriotism, selflessness, and several other parts of his character aren't exactly popular or encouraged today. The best hope would be something right after 9/11, maybe... but even then, it'd be hard to fit.

Start Cap in WWII. Put him in an iceberg or wormhole or some other explanation for still being around. It ain't like they haven't done it before...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have no clue who would be best but I just can't see Leonardo DiCaprio as

0785107401.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Any more that I could see Eric Bana as
425.the.incredible.hulk.033108.jpg

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leo as Cap??? Hell no...There have been 3 previous Caps out there..One during the Golden days of serials, which wasn't bad for its time..A forgettable TV series and one full lenght movie that I discovered a few years ago that was equally forgettable..Common Marvel take a chance on an unknown actor..

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Leo as Cap??? Hell no...There have been 3 previous Caps out there..One during the Golden days of serials, which wasn't bad for its time..A forgettable TV series and one full lenght movie that I discovered a few years ago that was equally forgettable..Common Marvel take a chance on an unknown actor..

It worked well when they cast Thomas Jane as the Punisher, though he is no longer in the role for the next one( a "reboot" rather than a "sequel")

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. It would be sacrilidge (I misspelled that) to change Cap's background, but it would be pretty easy to change it to a 9/11 kind of thing.
Remember, Spiderman's "radioactive spider bite" was changed to a DNA altered spider for the movie.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just wish DC would get off of their butts and try to catch up with Marvel, who is trying to actually make superhero movies.
The Green Lantern movie was moving along until the fans revolted loud enough over Jack Black being GL (thank goodness). I have heard talk for years of the Captain Mavel (Shazam) movie with the Rock as Black Adam. The Justice League movie was shelved last month after many British actors were cast in most of the parts. I don't remember the rumoured reasons for that.
Come on DC--make a DC man happy!
Note: my son is name Clark. How awesome is that?

AoG

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd prefer to see an unknown....

Though I think that they really need to keep his origins true to the comic (WW2 and all) I don't think that they will....and that is a crime.

Look at how they've ruined GI Joe.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer to see an unknown....

Though I think that they really need to keep his origins true to the comic (WW2 and all) I don't think that they will....and that is a crime.

Look at how they've ruined GI Joe.
GI Joe has gone through multiple changes in origin/backstory throughout his history, though the current version (since the 80s or so; the whole GI Joe as amorphous military unit versus Cobra stuff) doesn't thrill me, nor did the 3 inch figures...

But Captain America? If they rework his backstory, they'll have to be very, very careful, and I don't see how it'll work. You can move Tony Stark to Afghanistan instead of Vietnam and not make really big changes; you can change the mechanism for Peter Parker becoming Spiderman, or any of the others... Those are all really just reasonable updates. I can't see a rewrite of Captain America to the current day that'll work...