Carpeted Mats???

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this so I'm posting in here.

Because the building my former dojo was in was really damaged by Hurricane Katrina (dojo fine, building is not), my small Aikido club has recently found a temporary place to train in a Han Mu Do dojang. We've only had 4 classes so far since we're only meeting really early on Saturday's now, but we're really enjoying the chance to train with each other again, and very thankful that the Han Mu Do people are allowing us to use their space.:asian:

Anyway, the first Saturday I saw the "new" place for the first time and I was impressed how nice it is! However, I was very surprised to see their blue carpeted mats! I had never heard of carpeted mats before and a friend of mine (not from my aikido class) told me that her Tang Soo Do teacher used to train on carpeted mats, and that it might be a "Korean thing". Is that true? What arts use carpeted mats in their schools? How long have they been around? Is it carpeted for conditioning or another purpose?

It's been interesting experimenting how to go down for pins without getting mat burns all over. Even so, it's neat to have the chance to train in a different place where I get to see and learn of new things. Also I now have the experience of training (little bit so far) on said carpet mats and feeling the burn! :D

Thanks,
Robyn :asian:

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
A lot of commercial places use industrial type carpet. In quite a few Kenpo schools I have been in mostly use them. The school I now teach in uses the puzzle mats. In the early '80's when I was Moo Duk Kwon we had nothing but a concrete floor with linoleum tile overtop. In one of the Aikido dojo's I trained in we used the blue type wrestling mats, another one huge canvas mat. I like the carpeted floors the best for Karate and the canvas mat best for Aikido. Though there has been controversy on the carpeted mats holding more funk.

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm surprised not more people have heard of them. Of course I never did until I saw them, but that's no big deal since I still don't know much in the martial art universe. Still, I thought it was more well known or something.

RichK, I definitly liked the mats we trained on in our dojo. Not sure what they were made of. Canvas maybe??? Great for rolls, falls, and sliding down being pinned on. I only got a very rare mat burn from those. When we practice footwork and turns with the bokkens, I'm not even half bothering dragging my feet on the carpeted mats. It hurt too much after I did it the first time. It does seem to grab more stuff too. In respect of the owner, we vaccum and pick up with our hands lots of lints and fuzzies whether they came off of us or not.

Anyone else heard, trains on, or know why the owners specifically chose the carpeted mats for their students to train on? I particuarlly want to understand the "why?" and "what is its purpose?".

Thanks,

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of them before. The only type of flooring I've trained on has either been all mat, carpet or hard wood.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Opal Dragon said:
Anyone else heard, trains on, or know why the owners specifically chose the carpeted mats for their students to train on? I particuarlly want to understand the "why?" and "what is its purpose?".

Thanks,

Vinyl can get very slippery with even a little bit of water. After mopping they turn into a big slip 'n slide...

So if you where doing gymnastics, something with lots of flips and hand springs and other things where even a slight slip can really hurt a carpeted surface might be desired.

For martial arts I'd say no. Carpet is much harder to disinfect and you would be increasing the chances of passing ringworm and other nasty things. Not to mention rolling around on it will get you some nasty carpet burn.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You sweet just as much in gymnastics, and crash and burn too. I don't ever remember getting rug burns from the floor. I don't think it's as rough as reg carpet.

Our old place we had the burber carpet like in office buildings. Worked well enough. No padding though. When we got the puzzle mats, those were nice. But then when we moved and pulled up all the puzzle mats, OH MY GOD, what a stench! :daf: That funk had been fermenting for months. You know, some of that funk was Mr. Heblers. I should have bottled some and tried to sell it on ebay :lol:

I would love to try and train on an actuall gymnastics spring floor. Just to see. Put a little spring in the tech.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate carpet burns I would rather use a wood floor that is polished by feet and bodies over it. However carpets make a place look much neater.
How are the carpets cleaned to keep bacteria down

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
How are the carpets cleaned to keep bacteria down

I would think that having them professionally cleaned on a regular basis would be a good start. Possibly spraying them with disinfectant such as Lysol might be another option.

This is one of the main reasons why I prefer to wear shoes rather than go barefoot.

Mike

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"blue carpeted mats"

Can you say "Rug Burn"?
Been there. Done that. It hurts.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I say we just use concrete with gravel on them for our training floors. Go all the way for that "Real" experience.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My floor is concrete and cold in the winter
I would gladly take a rug burn to frost bite

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
My floor is concrete and cold in the winter
I would gladly take a rug burn to frost bite

My feet were grateful for the carpet this morning since it was really cold. My mom did get a nasty carpet burn on her wrist though. I saw on the school's bulletin board that the Han Mu Do founder is featured in the current Tae Kwon Do Today (or Times) magazine and I flipped through it and there are pictures of him pinning someone on the same blue mats.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Robyn,

I've never heard of carpeted mats either, except as someone mentioned for gymnastics flooring. I can't even imagine doing forms on a surface like that. It could be worse though, I do have a friend who trains on concrete, although it does add some reality. I say cover up as much skin as possible. It's good to hear that you have found a place to train. :asian:

MJ :)

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"I do have a friend who trains on concrete"
We used to that too. That's why everyone had shin splints and knee troubles.

I also meant to address the sanitary issue of carpets before.
I trained in 2 places that were carpeted - one was a strip mall TKD school, the other an Aikido school in a gymnastics place.

In both places the carpets smelled really bad. They may have been cleaned occassionally, but likely not with disinfectant. I don't know how you can sanitize a carpet. I do know that you can easily sanitize mats.