Capoeira seems to be rising in popularity (again)...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm noticing Capoeira beginning to pop back into the mainstream after it was blasted into the back burner because of its perceived ineffectiveness in combat. Interestingly, Capoeira practitioners themselves acknowledged that their art was more dance and sport than combat system. That acknowledgment has appeared to work towards its benefit as people are beginning to flock back to the system as a form of exercise and cultural experience. I'm seeing the sport popping up on college campuses and YMCAs all over the place.

Even caught an episode of Conan where Connor McGregor demonstrated a Capoeira kick on Conan. Pretty cool I guess (not a fan of McGregor, but the guy is a very talented martial artist). Here's a vid.

Anyway, what are your general thoughts on Capoeira? Ever tried the style? Do you think its a true Martial Art?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a yellow cordie thing in capo. Possibly one of the most fun martial arts you can do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to train a guy, Nassim, in DT, who did Capoeira for a long time. We did some sparring a bunch of times. He used to stay way low to the floor, much lower than I'm used to seeing on Capeoira vids. It was interesting. He looked easy to sweep, but he wasn't. He threw circular kicks from that low position, which would catch you if you weren't careful. His punching wasn't too effective from that position, but neither was mine against him, he was too low to the floor. He had a good scissors take down, I guess they all do, but I'm hep to scissors. He caught me with a nice sweep once, kind of like an iron broom from Kung Fu, but I handled him on the ground. I started showing him some ground work and he developed a nice closed guard and pretty good escapes from mount. And he scrambled really well.

Tell you one thing, he had legs like steel from all that low stuff. Started to get a good rubber guard, too. But he transferred to another department and we never worked out again. I've seen Capoeira since, but never played with it again. Not really my cup of tea.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing Capoeira beginning to pop back into the mainstream after it was blasted into the back burner because of its perceived ineffectiveness in combat. Interestingly, Capoeira practitioners themselves acknowledged that their art was more dance and sport than combat system. That acknowledgment has appeared to work towards its benefit as people are beginning to flock back to the system as a form of exercise and cultural experience. I'm seeing the sport popping up on college campuses and YMCAs all over the place.

Even caught an episode of Conan where Connor McGregor demonstrated a Capoeira kick on Conan. Pretty cool I guess (not a fan of McGregor, but the guy is a very talented martial artist). Here's a vid.

Anyway, what are your general thoughts on Capoeira? Ever tried the style? Do you think its a true Martial Art?
It seems really inefficient (I'm not sure if that's true, but it looks that way), and looks like it would generate a lot of power from those long circles. I've always thought it would be fun, and that sparring against someone trained in Capoeira would be an interesting challenge. They present a different view than I'm used to and tend to attack from a different angle. I have a young woman who might be joining my program who has some background in Capoeira, so I might actually get a chance to play a bit.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to train a guy, Nassim, in DT, who did Capoeira for a long time. We did some sparring a bunch of times. He used to stay way low to the floor, much lower than I'm used to seeing on Capeoira vids. It was interesting. He looked easy to sweep, but he wasn't. He threw circular kicks from that low position, which would catch you if you weren't careful. His punching wasn't too effective from that position, but neither was mine against him, he was too low to the floor. He had a good scissors take down, I guess they all do, but I'm hep to scissors. He caught me with a nice sweep once, kind of like an iron broom from Kung Fu, but I handled him on the ground. I started showing him some ground work and he developed a nice closed guard and pretty good escapes from mount. And he scrambled really well.

Tell you one thing, he had legs like steel from all that low stuff. Started to get a good rubber guard, too. But he transferred to another department and we never worked out again. I've seen Capoeira since, but never played with it again. Not really my cup of tea.

Yeah, I'm curious how a combination of Capoeira and Bjj would work out. Seems like their main area of weakness is getting the distance closed and taken down. Bjj fills all of those holes extremely well. Could be a rather potent combination if utilized properly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

there are different versions of capoeira.

your mate probably did Angola.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm curious how a combination of Capoeira and Bjj would work out. Seems like their main area of weakness is getting the distance closed and taken down. Bjj fills all of those holes extremely well. Could be a rather potent combination if utilized properly.
I'd be curious to see the transitions between them. Some of the ground movement in BJJ has enough circularity to it that I could see a Capoeira kick leading into them quite smoothly, but I can't envision the circumstance that makes that transition make sense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
quite often people do capoeira and bjj. comes from the same place. there is a focus on takedownside in capo. so the transitions would be related to that.

historically they used to scrap it out with bjjers. vale tudo is also a capoeira term.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are there many major variations? Do you happen to know of some YouTube videos that would be good examples of some of the variations?

three basic ones.
angola regional and contemporânea. I will hunt down a video.

here is a famous capo jits fight song. which is where you get most of the history of capo.

I will see if there is a video with the differences.

found a link but. not a video.

What are the different styles of capoeira? | Capoeira Connection

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry there is also maculele which is a machete game. samba of course which is the dance and Apanha laranja no chão tico-tico which is a game where you try to pick up a hanky full of money with your mouth and they can kick you in the head to try to stop you. although mostly that is symbolic these days.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That got me thinking...I know Brazil is about the size of the U.S., but I'm wondering if there's any Brazilians who've done both and kind of combine them? Any idea what BJJ guys and Capeoira guys think about each other's art over in Brazil?

I imagine it would make for interesting forum discussions over there. :)

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That got me thinking...I know Brazil is about the size of the U.S., but I'm wondering if there's any Brazilians who've done both and kind of combine them? Any idea what BJJ guys and Capeoira guys think about each other's art over in Brazil?

I imagine it would make for interesting forum discussions over there. :)

So I went ahead and found this on Youtube;

I just found out how I'm spending my Sunday afternoon....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It's a legit Martial Art. The movements are irregular compare to other systems and that's where the danger is.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been training Capoeira for a little over a month now. It's a lot of fun and it's taking me very much out of my comfort zone. I tend to favor an old man approach of minimal movement for maximum efficiency and Capoeira forcing me to get better at large movements.

I wouldn't argue that Capoeira is the most efficient martial art around. I'm training to build attributes, expand my movement vocabulary, and for the sheer fun and beauty of the art form. At the same time, I'm glad that my instructor is very cognizant of the martial aspect of the art and emphasizes that from the beginning. We may be practicing the big spinning kicks and cartwheels, but at the same time he's showing how we have to protect ourselves from knees, elbows, and head butts and shows the opportunities for takedowns which can lead into jiu-jitsu.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been training Capoeira for a little over a month now. It's a lot of fun and it's taking me very much out of my comfort zone. I tend to favor an old man approach of minimal movement for maximum efficiency and Capoeira forcing me to get better at large movements.

I wouldn't argue that Capoeira is the most efficient martial art around. I'm training to build attributes, expand my movement vocabulary, and for the sheer fun and beauty of the art form. At the same time, I'm glad that my instructor is very cognizant of the martial aspect of the art and emphasizes that from the beginning. We may be practicing the big spinning kicks and cartwheels, but at the same time he's showing how we have to protect ourselves from knees, elbows, and head butts and shows the opportunities for takedowns which can lead into jiu-jitsu.

what sort of capo are you doing?

Latest Discussions