Capoeira seems to be rising in popularity (again)...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That got me thinking...I know Brazil is about the size of the U.S., but I'm wondering if there's any Brazilians who've done both and kind of combine them? Any idea what BJJ guys and Capeoira guys think about each other's art over in Brazil?

I imagine it would make for interesting forum discussions over there. :)
According to my Capoeira instructor, one of his teacher is also a long time BJJ practitioner. He's hoping to get him to visit town one of these days, which would be a fun (and doubtless humbling) experience.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if you're good at capoeira, I would assume you're pretty damn strong... and surely the first thing you would've learned is a roundhouse kick.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if you're good at capoeira, I would assume you're pretty damn strong... and surely the first thing you would've learned is a roundhouse kick.

probably a crescent kick.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of those. I would assume a low to mid height roundhouse is easier to start with.

there is a convention to using capoeira. you have to give the other guy something to work with. so you quite often trade crescent kicks. until you find an opening to set the guy up.

it is more about looking awsome than beating on people. so you are trying to trick the guy into a shot he cant defend. Rather than pushing through them.

it is a deception game. the concept is called. Mandinga.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
there is a convention to using capoeira. you have to give the other guy something to work with. so you quite often trade crescent kicks. until you find an opening to set the guy up.

it is more about looking awsome than beating on people. so you are trying to trick the guy into a shot he cant defend. Rather than pushing through them.

it is a deception game. the concept is called. Mandinga.
Actually the concept is called malacia. Manginga is more along the lines of " magic" in the since of using the concept of malacia to do what seems difficult to impossible to do. ie being cornered with no where to go but still turning the table.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions