Canada - The True Home of Freedom!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Melissa426 said:
Hmmm. I think that means I can worship and practice my religious beliefs in the manner of my choice. Guess what, so can everyone else, I am not opposed to that. Or choose not to practice, if that is what they want.
I think the original tone of this article was just that. No one is saying "you're wrong and they're right". Forgive me for sounding like a hippie, but everyone wants to get along and live happily ever after in the end.

I believe that you can worship and practice your religious beliefs in any manner of your choosing, yes, unless it harms another. Homosexuals in and of themselves aren't hurting anyone. You don't believe in it? Fine. No one is asking you to. Are you actively opposing it? THOSE are the type of people that are the problem. Too many people in the US, and in the world at large just don't believe in a live-and-let-live type of environment, and it's saddening.

*walks back to his lurking corner, contemplative*

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
At least we don't have the KKK marching here (that I know of...)
Nope. Gotta go to Skokie for that - you know, where there is a very high Jewish population?

Carrying what some would call the ultimate symbol of fascism and murder down the streets where intended victims lie - now THAT'S obscene in my book.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, first picture, 3rd gal from the left....I think I know her.....or rather, she looks like someone I've met. Can't put a name to the face though.....damn humans, you all look alike. :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BTW, before we praise Canada too much, let's remember that this is the country responsible for Bryan Adams, Alanis Morrisette, and Celine Dion... ;)

Jeff

R

raedyn

Kreth said:
BTW, before we praise Canada too much, let's remember that this is the country responsible for Bryan Adams, Alanis Morrisette, and Celine Dion... ;)
And Avril Levigne & Pamela Anderson & Nickelback & Neil Young & Dan Aykroyd & Alexander Graham Bell & Linda Evangelista & Michael J Fox & Mike Myers & Norm MacDonald & Cirque Du Soleil & Patrick Roy & James Cameron & Morley Safer & Frederick Banting & Jim Carrey & Tom Green & Wayne Gretzky & Peter Jennings & Leslie Neilson & Bill Shatner & Alex Trebek & Douglas Coupland....
I don't know if I should puff up with pride, or hide under the rug!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
And Avril Levigne & Pamela Anderson & Nickelback & Neil Young & Dan Aykroyd & Alexander Graham Bell & Linda Evangelista & Michael J Fox & Mike Myers & Norm MacDonald & Cirque Du Soleil & Patrick Roy & James Cameron & Morley Safer & Frederick Banting & Jim Carrey & Tom Green & Wayne Gretzky & Peter Jennings & Leslie Neilson & Bill Shatner & Alex Trebek & Douglas Coupland....
I don't know if I should puff up with pride, or hide under the rug!
Most in your list I find entertaining, with the notable exception of Avril Lavigne. I didn't realize Leslie Nielsen was from Canada. As a Trek fan, I gotta love Shatner (note that I didn't say Trekkie: I can't tell you how many feet of film were shot for City on the Edge of Forever), but I remember literally falling off my couch laughing once while watching a comedian parody his unusual timing and tendency to overact. "There's......... somethingonthewing, some..... THING!"
Back to the original topic, and the gripe that Technopunk and I seem to share (since you mentioned Jim Carrey). Years ago on In Living Colour, there was a sketch featuring Carrey. He played a gay guy at a party, who would make his sexuality the center of every conversation. I think that sketch pretty well sums up what I find annoying about gay activism. I support gay rights, but to the extent that they are treated equally, not given any special treatment.

Jeff

P

PeachMonkey

Kreth said:
He played a gay guy at a party, who would make his sexuality the center of every conversation. I think that sketch pretty well sums up what I find annoying about gay activism. I support gay rights, but to the extent that they are treated equally, not given any special treatment.
Can you come up with any examples of "special treatment" of gays, other than that some of them speak about their sexuality insensitively at parties?

You may find this shocking, but lots of straight people that struggle with their identities also talk inappropriately about sex. And lots of gay people never mention it in polite conversation. This particular red herring is completely irrelevant to whether or not a group of human beings deserve to have the same rights as other human beings.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nalia said:
... and don't forget all the great inventions from Canada, like Basketball
I thought that was James Nasmith at Springfield College in Massachusetts?

Incidentally, Volleyball, was invented up the road in Holyoke, MA about the same time.

Or so I thought.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Nalia said:
oh, yeah and some would say we have damn fine beer :D
Ok... now HERE'S a real discussion topic. :p Who agrees?

*remembers the scene from Canadian Bacon when John Candy said Canadian beer sucks and starts a riot*

ummmmmm..... no comment. :D

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
Can you come up with any examples of "special treatment" of gays, other than that some of them speak about their sexuality insensitively at parties?
Sure.

When do I get to march in the "Hetero Pride" Parade?

When do I get to call getting Beat up "A Hate Crime" so the perp gets an automatic greater sentence?

I know I know, bash me now, because "Gays are entitled to that because we repress their rights" but ya know what? That attitude is exactly the example of Special Treatment I was trying to pull out...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
When do I get to march in the "Hetero Pride" Parade?

Every damn day of your life - it's a hetero world and you can walk freely down the street in the arms of your partner and no one will think much of this in-yer-face heteroism ramming your love for your opposing-gendered partner down everyone's throats except for gays who can't do the same without fearing bashing, ostracism, criticism and someone saying they're ramming it down everyone's throats.

Technopunk said:
When do I get to call getting Beat up "A Hate Crime" so the perp gets an automatic greater sentence?

When a gay person beats the living hell out of you for being straight - or when someone of another race beats the living hell out of you for being white - or a woman beats the living hell out of you for being a man.

Technopunk said:
I know I know, bash me now, because "Gays are entitled to that because we repress their rights" but ya know what? That attitude is exactly the example of Special Treatment I was trying to pull out...

No one is saying that bashing you is okay or that any crime anyone commits is "permitted" because they're upset and misunderstood. And I still fail to see how these comments apply as a viable argument as to why gays should not be allowed to marry?

R

rmcrobertson

1. On St. Patrick's Day, and all the other holidays.

2. a) While one doesn't necessarily agree, it's called a, "hate crime," because somebody's been specifically targeted to get beat up for their sexuality; b) Hey, what's worse...yakking about, "hate crimes," or travelling around with your buddies, looking for, "fags," to beat up?

3. Used to live in a part of Long Beach with a lot of gay people. On several occasions, was standing on a corner, waiting for the light to change, ir walking down the street, when a carload of yahoos drove by, yelled, "Fag!" (Perhaps it was the nifty gold lame off-the-shoulder was wearing at the time...) Once, they threw eggs at me and some other guy who was just standing there. Odd thing is, have lived all over the country for quite a while now, and have never had anybody drive by, scream, "Straight!" and throw anything. Nor ever heard of such. So run this by us again...who's got the problem, exactly?

4. Incidentally, if you're a guy and you want to drive these yahoos absolutely crazy, yell back, "Thanks, but I don't date men!" If they stop--and they might--keep a straight face (pun intended), and say, "Really...whatever you're into is fine by me, but I've got this girlfriend, and I don't date men. It's fine if you do, and thanks for the compliment, but no."

5. Let me see if we have this straight (pun intended)--there's a poster on this thread who believes that gay people demand too much BECAUSE HE SAW A COMEDY SKETCH?

6. Still waiting for info on a) why the existence of gay people hurts anybody; b) how people gettting married hurts anybody; c) just considering Christians who happen to be gay, how it is that one justifies telling them that they aren't allowed to read the Bible in their own fashion, follow the teachings of their own Church, and get married in what they see as the sight of God and the presence of their friends and family.
7. Not expecting answers to that last, because there ARE no answers outside of religious bigotry and sexual panic to justify taking people's rights to worship as they please away from them in this case. Expecting, instead, more silence, evasion, topic-shifting, and weird complaining about Gay Pride parades that have only been seen on TV...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
Well, you're reaching a bit in your attempt to find fault with anything I post, but: so-called "hate crime" legislation. Maybe instead of making it more of a crime to assault someone based on their sexual orientation, race, or gender, we should institute stricter sentencing for violent criminals in general, and completely overhaul the ridiculous parole and appeals processes.
You may find this shocking, but lots of straight people that struggle with their identities also talk inappropriately about sex. And lots of gay people never mention it in polite conversation. This particular red herring is completely irrelevant to whether or not a group of human beings deserve to have the same rights as other human beings.
Please quote where I argued that homosexuals did not deserve the same rights as everyone else.

Jeff

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Well sorry about that. I have been in many fights where none of these things ment anything to that fight.

I guess the best way is to come out and speak your mind and try to change the laws.
Get some congressperson who is willing to go out on the limb. Get an editor to write up articles and change the way the majority of people think.

Lots of ways, but as we all know it takes time.

For the time being you could go and visit the place that is so charming for their freedom of views and then test the waters there to see if the population wants it rammed down their throat by a law, when there God does not like it...

Agnostic Dude here, my choice, my preference, stick with that one and see where it gets you Sunday morning in most churchs.

Regards, Gary

shesulsa said:
Every damn day of your life - it's a hetero world and you can walk freely down the street in the arms of your partner and no one will think much of this in-yer-face heteroism ramming your love for your opposing-gendered partner down everyone's throats except for gays who can't do the same without fearing bashing, ostracism, criticism and someone saying they're ramming it down everyone's throats.

When a gay person beats the living hell out of you for being straight - or when someone of another race beats the living hell out of you for being white - or a woman beats the living hell out of you for being a man.

No one is saying that bashing you is okay or that any crime anyone commits is "permitted" because they're upset and misunderstood. And I still fail to see how these comments apply as a viable argument as to why gays should not be allowed to marry?

R

rmcrobertson

One does not necessarily agree with "hate crime," legislation--a little too close to "thoughtcrime," for one's taste.

However--and at the risk of mentioning reality--such laws never apply specifically and only to gay people. They prohibit all forms of specifically attacking people because of their, "race," gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.

Still waiting for answers as to why it's OK to tell Christians that they can't worship in their own way.

Latest Discussions