Canada - The True Home of Freedom!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
If something happens in favor of the Conservatives, the Liberals decry the Conservative media. If something happens in favor of the Liberals, the Conservatives decry the Liberal media.

The truth is that the media is biased toward one thing and one thing only: money. If they succeed in entertaining the public they can go to their shareholders with smiling faces. How same-sex marriage fits into that, I don't know. It's conflict, which probably sells more than the absence of conflict.

Having said that, it appears that Spain has now passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage.
At least that's true as far as the companies that own media outlets are concerned. I'm certain that individual members of the media hold views one way or another, and that large numbers of them allow those views to impact what they report.

That having been said, that's a far cry from the claim that the media is some large, monolithic organization who's sole agenda is to control and manipulate human thought. The opposite is actually likely more the case.

The fact is that individual members of the media espouse far varying views and that's what they are supposed to do.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Didn't you accuse me of painting you with a broad brush on another thread? Irony, what a wonderful thing. The sketch in question merely made the point in a humorous way.

Not to belabor an ancient, musty post, but that wasn't really the sketch's point.

JC was going from person to person in the party yakking about how gay he was. He got annoying real fast. Then he said to a new partygoer "I'm gay!"

The other dude said. (In a whooly relaxed conversational manner) "So am I."

JC caved in started retreating from the room, and tried to cover his body with his arms in some wierd attempt at modesty while shouting "How dare you? Can you beleive that? He shouldn't be super flamey like that!!! How dare you?!?" (well, that's paraphrased) The upshot, and the punchline of the skit was that it wasn't even clear if JC's character was gay at all by the end(wierd thing to affect), and that people tend to grossly overreact to the topic even when it's presented in understated, polite terms.

Latest Discussions