Can you say sleeping on the couch?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nevada Deputy Arrests Wife on Drunken-Driving Charge

The Associated Press

ELKO, Nevada --
This might make for a tense time at home.
An off-duty sheriff's deputy was pulled over and charged with driving under the influence - by her husband.
Charlotte Moore, 36, a jail deputy and 11-year veteran, was driving her 2004 Pontiac Grand Am when she was pulled over by her husband, Elko County Sheriff's Deputy Mike Moore, a police report said.
She allegedly left before being administered a portable breathalyzer test, the Elko Daily Free Press reported.
Mike Moore pulled her over again and called the Elko Police Department for backup. He left shortly after another officer arrived.
Charlotte Moore was released at 1:47 a.m. on Sunday and placed on paid administrative leave, Elko County Undersheriff Rocky Gonzalez said.
Neither Mike nor Charlotte Moore was available for comment Monday, the Elko Daily Free Press said.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Huh. I was thinking divorce, actually.

I can only hope that she has a history with this sort of problem, and this was some type of tough love act.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can only hope that she has a history with this sort of problem, and this was some type of tough love act.

She should (note:should not will) expect nothing less. Cops letting off their friends and loved ones is grossly unethical.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
She should (note:should not will) expect nothing less. Cops letting off their friends and loved ones is grossly unethical.

He must have known it was her car, so it's not obvious to me that he had to pull her over at all. If you don't pull somebody over, you don't have to "let them off".

Do you believe that spousal privilege as it applies to the American justice system is unethical?

If she pleads not guilty and the arresting officer refuses to testify, what would happen?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well the law is the law and as a sheriff's deputy and 11-year veteran, she would or damn well should know the legal ramifications of being caught driving under the influence irregardless of her job. She should also be understanding that her husband was doing his job and the law is the law. Not to mention that the hubby was probably being taped by a dash-cam, so everything is recorded. Would/should he jeopardize HIS job and career because his wife decided to jeopardize HERS? Even without the dash cam how does his conscious play out?
He lets her go on the rest of the way home and she crashes into another car injuring or killing someone?
If anyone sleeps on the couch it should be her... with a plastic lined garbage can for her to throw up in.
Just because she is in law-enforcement doesn't elevate her above it. It doesn't elevate ANYONE above it... period! Her husband obviously knew that and thus did what he was legally bound to do; to protect and to serve!
Hopefully she'll get a wake-up call and not lose her job and wait to get home to start drinking so she doesn't have a chance to hurt anyone (except maybe herself).
Kudos to the husband for sticking to his job and removing a potentially dangerous driver off the streets.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that if he'd really been concerned about her getting home he'd have given her a ride.

No, I'm thinking this was something he planned.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
He must have known it was her car, so it's not obvious to me that he had to pull her over at all. If you don't pull somebody over, you don't have to "let them off".

She's still being "let off", because if it was any other car, the husband would presumably pull it over.

Do you believe that spousal privilege as it applies to the American justice system is unethical?

Basically yes, although as you may know spousal privilege is a far more restricted right than most people believe.

If she pleads not guilty and the arresting officer refuses to testify, what would happen?

Presumably, if he he had no good reason, disciplinary action of some sort. I don't know what that would be.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
She's still being "let off", because if it was any other car, the husband would presumably pull it over.

Oh, I think from the few facts we know that any presumption - including my own above - is just wild speculation.

But, in a broader sense, I believe in police officers having the right to make judgment calls about enforcement. And I think that pulling over your wife is a poor one.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I think from the few facts we know that any presumption - including my own above - is just wild speculation.

But, in a broader sense, I believe in police officers having the right to make judgment calls about enforcement. And I think that pulling over your wife is a poor one.
A poor decision for domestic tranquility perhaps but a good one for public safety is she was, indeed, impaired and driving.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things...

First... I've given far more breaks to civilians with no connection to law enforcement until I introduced myself following their driving mishap than I have to cops or family members of cops. I'm entrusted with discretion; I use it in the fairest and most consistent way I feel I can, while serving the interests of justice and public safety. Make of that what you will...

Second... I suspect that there is much more to this story than provided in the news article.

And that's all I intend to say on this topic.

Latest Discussions