Can we over come the Olympics

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry,

You still coming out here in a few weeks for the JKI?

We are still planning on it, I have pit in the request from work, but I have not heard back maybe today at the meeting. I sure hope so.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
12.) Olympic feasco when competitor kicks judge in face.....which didn't injur the judge.....If TKD kicks are so "lethal" why is that judge still alive? he didn't block. The offender had just lost the "Gold Medal" bout....shouldn't his kick have been lethal?
I believe the intent was to biarch-slap the ref, not kill him. I do believe that the ref needed his lip stitched up; I know that it was split.

Regarding the rest of your comment, the martial art itself, nor its olympic inclusion are the cause of taekwondo's problems. Egos and greed are, which lead to many of the problems that you enumerated. Such things are not unique to taekwondo, nor do all, or even most taekwondo schools follow in that mold. Most are just ladies and gents who love the martial arts and are just trying to make a living doing what they love.

As for Olympic inclusion being influenced by a gent with ties to both the WTF and the IOC? As the saying goes, it isn't what you know, but who you know. Gotta hand it to him for networking effectively, though.

Daniel

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the olympics that we saw are NOT what the founders of taekwondo had in mind. Like my opinion matters (haha) but I dont think taekwondo should be in the olympics anymore. That is what the public (non ma) world sees AS taekwondo.

slingblade01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The USAT can start by changing the rules so that fighters who are not Ji Do Kwan are equal to those that are. The USAT is a Ji Do Kwan organization.

:BSmeter:

1. You obviously don't know the CEO or anyone on the BOD.

2. You have no concept of the method to formulate or ammend the rules.

3 You obviously know nothing about the people of the Ji Do Kwan.

To everyone else,

I am new to this site. Is it a common practice for members to speard such blatant misinformation on this site without accountability?

While I am not personal happy with the progress of the current administration of the USAT, this is absolutely irresponsible and slanderous behavior.
The USAT has enough issues to deal with.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would personally like to see TKD pulled from the Olympics until the corruption could be taken care of.

That would be the first step, in my honest, humble opinion toward purging the corruption.

I attribute all of the things I hate about Olympic TKD to the corruption of the "higher-ups". The bouncy, hands down sparring, the no-power kicks, not scoring punches of any kind, etc.

I have no idea of how to go about purging the system, but something needs to happen. And I really think that if TKD was taken out of the Olympics, it would be a great first step in the right direction of whatever needs to happen to bring honor back into our martial art.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I attribute all of the things I hate about Olympic TKD to the corruption of the "higher-ups". The bouncy, hands down sparring, the no-power kicks, not scoring punches of any kind, etc.

I'm sorry, the ruleset is what leads to the guard used in Olympic TKD...nothing to do with corruption. Same with bouncy sparring. As to the power of the kicks...welp, they certainly are not without power...nor is that a corruption issue.

Not scoring punches is a political/corruption issue, as is who is in charge of things and what they do with th emoney they take in. All that stuff sucks, but it doesn;t impact how I fight.

Whether or not TKD is an Olympic sport is not going to have a great impact on how competitiors compete. What the ruleset is and how it is enforced is what will impact how things are done in the ring. No more no less.

Peace,
Erik

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who knows. I think the introduction of the electronic gear might improve scoring and change the selection of techniques...assuming that the gear works like some of the recent videos seem to indicate. It might mean punches to the torso get scored. IF that happens then the "Frankenstein clinch" will be less popular...(you clinch like that, I punch you and score a point)

That is my hope and thinking. Take the subjectivity out of it: if a technique &#8212; ANY technique, not just the two or three current judges like &#8212; gets the trembling shock level of force, ya get a point.

This in itself should solve a lot.... I hope.

Another change that is needed, IMO, is to simply open it up to ANYBODY (well, just about). That's right: shouldn't matter what martial art style you study. Kung fu, karate, tkd (ALL kwans, not just the politically connected ones) &#8212; even Muay Thai and MMA.

Another idea for rule change: hands to the head but ONLY to the headgear. Amend rules so only kicks to the headgear score. Make face mask area shots into fouls. This also may solve the chest-rubbing "clinch" problem.

Hard to stand around pushing your chest into opponent when he/she is rocking your noggin with ridgehands ;)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
And removing "seeding" from national qualification tournaments.

Make EVERYONE fight their way to the top to get a slot.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you think about it, though, they are all related:

The points are not scored for any punches at all. This means that only kicks are scored. For a fighter to score a point with a kick, the clearest points are going to be scored with headshots, as the point is most evident that the kick is not being blocked. There is no mistaking a kick to the head.

Since kicks to the head are the most effective way to score a point, holding your hands up only slows down the kicking process, as well as slowing down your ability to move quickly out of the way of any oncoming kicks. So no one spars with their hands up; instead, they spar with their hands by their sides.

The fighters bounce constantly as to be able to spring to one side or the other to quickly evade and counter-kick.

All of this as a result of points not being awarded for hand techniques. And that is a direct result of corruption, as judges can get away with saying that they "did not see the point".

It's all basically the political trickle-down effect.

But, like I said, I have no idea how to get rid of the corruption in the higher levels.

And, by the way, I was rather shocked to read that the "higher-ups" in the organization do not have any TKD experience. I understand that they don't need TKD experience to run a company, per se, but considering what type of organization they are running, it would make a certain amount of sense to at least have some kind of rank.

All of this is just my humble opinion.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Charlotte craig is too pretty to not fight with her hands up IMO.

slingblade01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since kicks to the head are the most effective way to score a point, holding your hands up only slows down the kicking process, as well as slowing down your ability to move quickly out of the way of any oncoming kicks. So no one spars with their hands up; instead, they spar with their hands by their sides.
This is wrong.
The fighters bounce constantly as to be able to spring to one side or the other to quickly evade and counter-kick.
This is wrong.
All of this as a result of points not being awarded for hand techniques. And that is a direct result of corruption, as judges can get away with saying that they "did not see the point".
This is wrong.

But, like I said, I have no idea...

(edited more appropriately)

slingblade01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And removing "seeding" from national qualification tournaments.

Make EVERYONE fight their way to the top to get a slot.

And risk making the top guys fight in the first round and possible injure one another so that a lesser skilled athlete on the other side of the brackets ends up representing our country?

Smart.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And risk making the top guys fight in the first round and possible injure one another so that a lesser skilled athlete on the other side of the brackets ends up representing our country?

Smart.

how do you know they are the top guys until they fight their way to the top?

I certainly wouldn't consider our current olympians the "top guys". If they really are the "top guys" they could most certainly fight in the first round and do well.

What happens to all these other guys, who your trying to say aren't "top guys" who still have to fight in the first round? Your basically coming right out and saying that politics choose the team, and not skill. I don't care how well someone has done on some tourney circuit throughout the year, anyone that has "Trained" hard enough and would like to make the attempt to be on the team should have just as much of a chance to do so.

Who chooses who the "top guys" are? If they are getting injured, then they probably need.. say.. hmm... put their hands up? Since, how else are they going to get hurt?

I guess you have to be from <School of Olympic TKD champions> to be considered a "top guy" in your eyes. Everyone is equal, until proven otherwise.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is wrong.

This is wrong.

This is wrong.

(edited more appropriately)

Glad you took the time to explain why it is that what he said was wrong. Way to keep the posts informative.

you should go back and edit again, and actually give us some reasons. At least clarify or something.

What Brandon said, didn't seem that far fetched to me. They don't hold their hands up, so their noggins are wide open.

They need to pull TKD from the olympics until they can fix this stuff.

Or perhaps, put another organization in charge that actually has some experience in TKD.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me try.

If you think about it, though, they are all related:

The points are not scored for any punches at all. This means that only kicks are scored. For a fighter to score a point with a kick, the clearest points are going to be scored with headshots, as the point is most evident that the kick is not being blocked. There is no mistaking a kick to the head.

head shots can and do get blocked...it's just preferable to evade and counter. Even a blocked shot can rock you...especially when dealing with full contact kicks. goign for head shots is preferable because they are worht 2 points and have a greater chance of ending a bout quickly (either by knock out or point gap). When you have to fight 3 or 4 times to get to a medal match...it's best to conserve ones energy.

Not exactly. While head shots are preferable...they have to be set up. The most common attack is to the body. most of the kick you see will be some variation of roundhouse or side kick to the torso. A hands up guard lets those kicks slip in underneath the elbows easily. Better to drop the gaurd to protect against those kicks. It's all very pragmatic.

Not exactly. When you bounce, you can kick faster. Speed is the name of the game. You can hit like a Mac truck, but it means absoulutely nothing if those shots never make it to their target.

When you're flat footed, you have to generate kinetic energy and move your enitre body (shift your weight) in some way to throw any kick. If you;re bouncing, that motion is already going...that will save time. It also helps to disguise or hide your intent. If you're flat footed, any movement ios probably an attack...if you're bouncing...who knows? Also if helps with movement, but also disguises your footwork a bit. All of this helps to keep your opponenet guessing...slowing them down.

hell, i don't see what the problem is with bouncing...boxers do it, MMA fighters who like to strike do it...why not TKD fighters?

But, like I said, I have no idea how to get rid of the corruption in the higher levels.

And, by the way, I was rather shocked to read that the "higher-ups" in the organization do not have any TKD experience. I understand that they don't need TKD experience to run a company, per se, but considering what type of organization they are running, it would make a certain amount of sense to at least have some kind of rank.

All of this is just my humble opinion.

The rest is fairly accurate and certainly issues that the WTF, Kukkiwon and USAT need to look at.

Peace,
Erik

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let me try.

head shots can and do get blocked...it's just preferable to evade and counter. Even a blocked shot can rock you...especially when dealing with full contact kicks. goign for head shots is preferable because they are worht 2 points and have a greater chance of ending a bout quickly (either by knock out or point gap). When you have to fight 3 or 4 times to get to a medal match...it's best to conserve ones energy.

Not exactly. While head shots are preferable...they have to be set up. The most common attack is to the body. most of the kick you see will be some variation of roundhouse or side kick to the torso. A hands up guard lets those kicks slip in underneath the elbows easily. Better to drop the gaurd to protect against those kicks. It's all very pragmatic.

Not exactly. When you bounce, you can kick faster. Speed is the name of the game. You can hit like a Mac truck, but it means absoulutely nothing if those shots never make it to their target.

When you're flat footed, you have to generate kinetic energy and move your enitre body (shift your weight) in some way to throw any kick. If you;re bouncing, that motion is already going...that will save time. It also helps to disguise or hide your intent. If you're flat footed, any movement ios probably an attack...if you're bouncing...who knows? Also if helps with movement, but also disguises your footwork a bit. All of this helps to keep your opponenet guessing...slowing them down.

hell, i don't see what the problem is with bouncing...boxers do it, MMA fighters who like to strike do it...why not TKD fighters?

The rest is fairly accurate and certainly issues that the WTF, Kukkiwon and USAT need to look at.

Peace,
Erik

thanks for being informative Erik. I can see how all those things can take place under the ruleset.

Latest Discussions