Cab driver stabbed after being asked if he was a Muslim

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. Unfortunately, as the rethoric keeps getting turned up I think we'll start to see more and more of these crazies.

I suspect it's not different than radicalization of all sorts - many suicide bombers are children and/or mentally unstable or developmentally-impaired. The radical message (from any side) seems to resonate first with those who are least grounded in reality, then works its way in from the fringes. Just an opinion.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of the John Birch Society reminded me of McCarthy:

[yt]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXlVnd6WXA8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXlVnd6WXA8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

And yet it is Pelosi who wants an investigation into the people that are speaking out against the mosque. How very insidious!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why will speaking out against this center give muslims a bloody shirt? You truly are bonkers!!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129387963&ft=1&f=1091

All this controversy and vitriol are not only encouraged; they're welcomed. Extremists and radical clerics posted a stream of "I told you so" messages: After years of telling followers that Islam was under attack by the West, the harsh reaction to a simple community center seemed to prove it.
That message, transmitted in a multitude of chat rooms and websites, has law enforcement worried. There have been a record number of homegrown terrorist plots in this country since late last year, and the conventional wisdom has been that the long wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have moved some young Muslims — many of whom came of age watching U.S. forces fighting in two wars on television — to join the fight.
"Over the past nine to 12 months, Anwar al-Awlaki has tried to promote this notion that the West, and particularly the United States, will turn on its Muslim citizens," Fishman said. "And some of the anti-Islamic tone that has been going around the country in connection with the mosque debate feeds into this notion that people like Anwar al-Awlaki can take advantage of."

I'm not 'bonkers'. Neither am I playing into the hands of terrorists by giving them a bloody shirt to wave around. I stand by my words.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129387963&ft=1&f=1091

I'm not 'bonkers'. Neither am I playing into the hands of terrorists by giving them a bloody shirt to wave around. I stand by my words.

Extremists and radical clerics (not unlike our own politicians) will play this issue up no matter which way it goes. If it the Muslim center is allowed, they will consider it a "Victory Mosque". If the activity center is denied, it will show the world Americans are evil and hate Muslims. To the extremists it will either be a bloody shirt or a white flag.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Extremists and radical clerics (not unlike our own politicians) will play this issue up no matter which way it goes. If it the Muslim center is allowed, they will consider it a "Victory Mosque". If the activity center is denied, it will show the world Americans are evil and hate Muslims. To the extremists it will either be a bloody shirt or a white flag.

So you admit that there is a bloody shirt and I'm not bonkers?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you are quite bonkers because it's you who believes that these hateful extremists will somehow become pacifists if we play ball with their plans.

No, you're bonkers for failing to acknowledge that not all Muslims are "these hateful extremists." :lfao:

As for the FoxNews thing, facts are facts, and usually incontavertible: if you cite Fox, and it proves to be true, it doesn't matter who says it. The website says that the sources of funding will be vetted and made public-we kind of have to take them at their word, since they don't seem to have any significant funding yet...

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, you are quite bonkers because it's you who believes that these hateful extremists will somehow become pacifists if we play ball with their plans.

I haven't said anything of the sort.

I've said that the visceral and emotional negative reaction to the so-called 'Ground Zero Mosque' has the unwanted consequence of giving the extremists a bloody shirt to wave around as a recruiting tool, which they're clearly doing.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, you're bonkers for failing to acknowledge that not all Muslims are "these hateful extremists." :lfao:

As for the FoxNews thing, facts are facts, and usually incontavertible: if you cite Fox, and it proves to be true, it doesn't matter who says it. The website says that the sources of funding will be vetted and made public-we kind of have to take them at their word, since they don't seem to have any significant funding yet...
Look through my past posts Jeff and you will notice that I refer to Muslim extremists, most notably muslims who are fixted with sharia.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look through my past posts Jeff and you will notice that I refer to Muslim extremists, most notably muslims who are fixted with sharia.

"Sharia" covers a loit of grouind, and is subject to quite a few interpretations, most of which are no more extremist than Hebraic law. In fact, that's akin to what the Imam is proposing, as far as sharia goes: if an Orthodox Jew gets a divorce in the U.S., court rulings generally follow the Hebraic proceedings-he wants the same for his moderate, and far more commonplace interpretation of sharia.

He doesn't want to stone accused adulterous women in Central Park, or anything of the sort-though it's easy to see how someone who wasn't apprised of the somewhat nuanced facts could assume as much....

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't said anything of the sort.

I've said that the visceral and emotional negative reaction to the so-called 'Ground Zero Mosque' has the unwanted consequence of giving the extremists a bloody shirt to wave around as a recruiting tool, which they're clearly doing.
Exactly, you believe that demonstarting and speaking out against the mosque is giving extremist muslims a "bloody shirt". So what is your solution, stay quiet and don't speak out. You want us to ignore our first amendment right because muslims will get offended and cut more westerners heads off worldwide. Listen to what you're saying.

Now, as I've said, the loser who stabbed the cabby needs to be dealt with accordingly and punished to the full extent of the law, but tell me this, what are the statistics on violence against muslims in the US since 9/11? Then again, what are the statistics on violence against non muslims by muslims in the Islamic world since 9/11? Let's start with Nick Byrg, I'm sure his beheading is still on Rotten.com or some of those other despicable websites.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Sharia" covers a loit of grouind, and is subject to quite a few interpretations, most of which are no more extremist than Hebraic law.

Consider Canon Law for Catholics, or Halal for Muslims, or Kosher for Jews. None of these things have any meaning outside of their religious believers, but they accept that such law exists for the believers.

http://askfsis.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...?p_faqid=375&p_created=1180974843&p_topview=1

Question
If a label bears a Halal or Kosher statement, does FSIS have to monitor the production of the product to observe ritual slaughter of animals?

Answer
No, the acceptability of the ritual used is the responsibility of the religious organization. How they verify the acceptability is up to the organization. FSIS inspection personnel may verify that the label is not falsified by verifying that the appropriate religious organization was contacted.

Of course, 'Sharia Law' means a lot of different things, to different Muslim groups as well as to non-Muslims. Unfortunately, it has a very sinister meaning in the West, and it scares people.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Sharia" covers a loit of grouind, and is subject to quite a few interpretations, most of which are no more extremist than Hebraic law. In fact, that's akin to what the Imam is proposing, as far as sharia goes: if an Orthodox Jew gets a divorce in the U.S., court rulings generally follow the Hebraic proceedings-he wants the same for his moderate, and far more commonplace interpretation of sharia.

He doesn't want to stone accused adulterous women in Central Park, or anything of the sort-though it's easy to see how someone who wasn't apprised of the somewhat nuanced facts could assume as much....
I understand what sharia is and how it works to some extent. Sharia itself is extremely vast and can be interpreted in many ways and oftentimes correlates with the civil laws that we follow on a day to day basis. Sharia however has no place in US society, the law of the land should be our guide. I know of some boroughs of the UK now where Sharia is being followed as an alternative to the law of the land because of the pervasive nature of Islam. Now, I understand that these folks got this building on the cheap, but it would be a noble gesture if they would simply relocate this center. Tolerance goes both ways.

Latest Discussions