By the way....

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by Rabbitthekitten, Apr 2, 2017.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    We are all imposters in math. That stuff is some kinda black magic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    That's funny. I am the same way. I can be a bundle o nerves and look like I am half asleep. It is a talent. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. tubby

tubby Yellow Belt

you didn't know your patterns the first day you took them, so you shouldn't expect to be calm and on top of a grading or test the first time you take them. they are a skill like everything else. Now you have some idea what is involved - patterns, sparring, basics, breaks, next time it won't be a journey into the unknown even if the specific techniques relate to the next grade.

4. Balrog

Balrog Master of Arts

Pick a technique and practice the hell out of it. Side kick, for example. Do slow side kicks while braced against the wall one day, then full impact against the bag next day. Pull segments out of your forms that include side kicks and grind them the next day, that sort of thing. When you've got that kick up to speed, do the same for another, or for a hand technique.

Concentrate on improving the little things. As they improve, so will the big things. And so will your confidence.

5. yak sao

yak sao Master of Arts

Sounds like you are on the road to not just practicing martial arts but becoming a martial artist . If you got your new rank and were satisfied, you would not practice nearly as much . Being dissatisfied with yourself and your performance is going to make you strive to become that much better.
    Welcome to the club.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten Green Belt

My speciality was planetary science which isn't too mathy. Compared to most people who study it my maths sucks. I was always on the phone to my dad who did maths himself at university. I actually had one exam question on cosmology where I was completely stumped so I made up an equation, worked it out and wrote that the answer didn't make sense. I still passed. :D

This sounds familiar. I was asked to do the four directional block and I simply could not do it. It wasn't something that I was being graded on, more of a warm up so it didn't matter all that much. But it made me go mental in my head and doubt myself for the rest of the grading.

I'm ordering a heavy bag today for exactly this. :D

These make me feel better. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do IKSDA Director

• Supporting Member
    Forgo testing, at least for a while. Progress at your pace and not the pace others think you should adhere to, including your instructor. I once trained with a gentleman that wore a white belt but was obviously much higher. The instructor one day simply handed him his green belt (for that style the green was 2-3 levels up) without a test (and NO fee) simply due to his humility, dedication and clearly demonstrated skill.

I've told the story before of several Okinawan karateka that wore white belts but were actually 5th Dans. They just never got around to getting a black belt but rather let their skill speak for itself.

8. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Senior Master

Make sure you are well prepared for the test and during testing just concentrate on what you are doing and do it the best you can. When testing you are not really doing anything you have not done before, you are just doing it in front of some extra people.

10. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Rabbit.

Mabye you won't stop hating it. It might be a damn war every time you grade.

But you have to do it. So stand up to yourself and do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. _Simon_

_Simon_ Green Belt

I just found this thread and have been really enjoying it. Everyone's contributions were awesome, it's really great seeing that level of support. I know I get super nervous before gradings, and definitely have moments of blankness.. But yeah your instructor wouldn't have sent you there without a reason. I like the saying/idea "You have to be the new belt, before you grade to that belt." I just notice all the immense pressure I'm putting on myself and try to let it go, it's totally unnecessary, and whilst in some cases it's helpful to push yourself in that way, some definitely would benefit more from relaxing and being easier on themselves (ie me hehe).

How has training been going Rabbitthekitten? :)

• Like Like x 1