Buying Dan rank over the Internet

Do you think buying martial arts dan rank over the Internet is a legitimate way to ea

• Yes, it’s just as good or better than actually earning it the normal way by training in a dojo for

• No, it’s crap and not worth the paper it’s written on.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja

I don't put down the traditional arts. I have 3 traditional Instructors. But like in my other posts I stated that I teach my students to beat any system that I've learned.

There are no kata, no chambered punches, no deep stances that I have yet to see anyone use in actual combat. Just realistic fight training based on all of my experience with Jun Fan Gung-Fu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu being drawn from the most.

I teach differantly in a lot of respects. I like to start in the clinch. ... Thats how I teach starting in the clinch.

Don't misunderstand me. I understand the importance of preseving the old and I know that I can and do learn from Kata. But a realistic approach for the students of today is much differant than what most are actually doing.

Anybody can say so and so's rank isn't worth anything but mine is an "eclectic system" which really has nothing to do with traditionalism. I am actually putting back in "some"of the traditionalism.
I

Well, why should you be different. good luck.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Don't misunderstand me. I understand the importance of preseving the old and I know that I can and do learn from Kata. But a realistic approach for the students of today is much differant than what most are actually doing.

I think the problem is most people that teach and sing the praises of kata today don’t understand kata well enough.
Much of the so-called “bunkai” I see here in Japan as well as in the west is absolute crap.
As a result many if not all MMA people see that kind of teaching and think kata is uselss….and rightly so. If I didn’t know better I would think the same thing.

Anybody can say so and so's rank isn't worth anything but mine is an "eclectic system" which really has nothing to do with traditionalism. I am actually putting back in "some"of the traditionalism. Structure is important and students who respect one another but at the same time they need to be modern day warriors.

Structure is needed to a certain degree in anything humans do because it makes things more understandable and logical. We tend to disregard what doesn’t make sense to us.
With out some sort of natural progression and order all we get are bits and pieces, which slows, if not stagnates, the learning process.

IF YOU DON'T MIND. COULD YOU ENLIGHTEN ME ABOUT YOUR SYSTEM. DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS NOT YOUR OWN. I JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO I AM TALKING TO. I THINK IT IS FAIR SINCE YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT ME.

To whom are you addressing this question?

If you are asking me there is a www under my user name and it should take you to my website. There you will find some links to other members in the same association as myself.

If you want to see what we actually do here is a website for our dojo in Poland. This was a seminar so the techniques in the mpegs you will see are done rather slowly and were done for teaching and explanation purposes only. The actual techniques are done much quicker without any pauses.

http://www.kempo.org.pl/ramka.html

Sorry, forgot it's in Polish.
You'll need to go to the section called "GALERIA" to see the mpegs.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Well, why should you be different. good luck.

Why ask why??

In a confrontation are going to you react using the "actual' traditional techniques you were taught or are you going to adapt and modify as needed?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I think the problem is most people that teach and sing the praises of kata today don’t understand kata well enough.
Much of the so-called “bunkai” I see here in Japan as well as in the west is absolute crap.
As a result many if not all MMA people see that kind of teaching and think kata is uselss….and rightly so. If I didn’t know better I would think the same thing.

Structure is needed to a certain degree in anything humans do because it makes things more understandable and logical. We tend to disregard what doesn’t make sense to us.
With out some sort of natural progression and order all we get are bits and pieces, which slows, if not stagnates, the learning process.

To whom are you addressing this question?

If you are asking me there is a www under my user name and it should take you to my website. There you will find some links to other members in the same association as myself.

If you want to see what we actually do here is a website for our dojo in Poland. This was a seminar so the techniques in the mpegs you will see are done rather slowly and were done for teaching and explanation purposes only. The actual techniques are done much quicker without any pauses.

http://www.kempo.org.pl/ramka.html

Sorry, forgot it's in Polish.
You'll need to go to the section called "GALERIA" to see the mpegs.

Seriously you sound like your interpetation is the correct way so everybodies elses is wrong. I'm just giving you my opinion from your posts. I heard the song and dance too many times already. Nobody understands the Bunkai but I do.

But based on your "Historical Post" you must be a genius! What book did you "copy " it from?

I put my real name out there and I want to know who you are!

OP
C

chufeng

AKJA asked: In a confrontation are going to you react using the "actual' traditional techniques you were taught...?

Yes !!!

:asian:
chufeng

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why ask why??

In a confrontation are going to you react using the "actual' traditional techniques you were taught or are you going to adapt and modify as needed?
If the question is for me, you're really asking the wrong person. I see you'e attempting to set yourself up here as an expert because you use the word "kenpo" in your distance video program, however as they say - "It ain't that kind of party."

Based on your site I don't think you know much about what most do here, and myself in particular am a student of Ed Parker's American Kenpo. I see I'm not the only one who picked up on your "vibe."

That lengthy post to advertise your teachings as well as your site, (that you really didn't mean for anyone to see) proposed no real questions therefore I answered none. If there is something specific to the art you would like to know, there are those here who would answer gladly. But I must be honest and tell you I am just not interested in the art you created. No slight, just not interested. I've seem them all. In fact, "Been there, done that, got a poster, a T-shirt, and an autographed picture."

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Why ask why??

"actual" traditional are what in your book?
Also, by the wording of your question it’s obvious you haven’t been exposed to “actual traditional” techniques done properly, because if you were you would have asked that question.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree.

Which is why I am more wary of the guy that says "I am just a shodan" than the guy who claims to be a Soke:rolleyes: .
"The wise eagle hides it's claws"

I've had the occasion to meet Oyate Sensei. I suspect YOUR Bunkai is just fine.

I'm sure you are as I am wary of the guy who has "studied" everything, put together his own system, and then wants to teach you by video.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Seriously you sound like your interpetation is the correct way so everybodies elses is wrong.

You are over reacting and taking what I said out of context.
I have seen a lot of good interpretations from Goju and Shorin Ryu people as well as others.

I'm just giving you my opinion from your posts. I heard the song and dance too many times already. Nobody understands the Bunkai but I do.

Nope, never said that.

But based on your "Historical Post" you must be a genius! What book did you "copy " it from?

That info comes from several sources actually.

I put my real name out there and I want to know who you are!

If you would have taken 10 seconds and looked at the www icon under my user ID as I stated before it would have directed you to my webpage that has my name and other info.

Also, if you want to go off on a tangent about MMA vs xxxx blah, blah, blah start it somewhere else because this thread is not about that.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Doc
I've had the occasion to meet Oyate Sensei. I suspect YOUR Bunkai is just fine.

I'm sure you are as I am wary of the guy who has "studied" everything, put together his own system, and then wants to teach you by video.

Needless to say I am not on the same level as Mr. Oyata, and most likely never will be.
However, I do find it interesting that even 8th~9th dans in Okinawan start taking notes when he is discussing technique/ bunkai.
Nobody has all the answers to bunkai/technique, but I do believe Mr. Oyata is on the right track.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
If the question is for me, you're really asking the wrong person. I see you'e attempting to set yourself up here as an expert because you use the word "kenpo" in your distance video program, however as they say - "It ain't that kind of party."

Based on your site I don't think you know much about what most do here, and myself in particular am a student of Ed Parker's American Kenpo. I see I'm not the only one who picked up on your "vibe."

That lengthy post to advertise your teachings as well as your site, (that you really didn't mean for anyone to see) proposed no real questions therefore I answered none. If there is something specific to the art you would like to know, there are those here who would answer gladly. But I must be honest and tell you I am just not interested in the art you created. No slight, just not interested. I've seem them all. In fact, "Been there, done that, got a poster, a T-shirt, and an autographed picture."

You're only half right about me!

My site really is far from finished thats why I took it out of my profile almost immediately after joining this place.

I am not a creator. My opinion there are no new techniques that haven't been seen sometime in the past. The only thiung new is our training methods, thats it.

I'm far from being "anybody" but I think I am a bit farther from being nobody.

I am just walking my path. I don't claim to teach "Kenpo" nor would I teach it. To many hand techniques that are to differant from my Jun Fan Gung-Fu underlying base.

Kenpo and Kempo are "general purpose" words. Since I'm walking a differant path of my Sifu, I can't rape his arts name. And in the same breath it no longer is just Jun Fan Gung-Fu or any one style of Jujitsu or karate.

Granted my methods are "modified" but it is the training methods which are differant and for me the end result.

BUT IT WAS A SIMPLE QUESTION!

I WANT TO KNOW HOW WILL YOU REACT IN A REAL SITUATION?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Doc

The first “red flags” for me with anyone that starts their own art is the misuse of Japanese/Chinese/Korean terms to describe different aspects of their art.
They always seem to be anti-traditionalists and yet use traditional terms to describe what they do.
Kind of an oxymoron isn’t it………

Originally posted by Doc

I too have heard that “moldy oldy” record. You know the one that says “I have developed something totally new and different, nobody on this plant has ever thought of the stuff I have, and that’s what makes my new art so much better then the old traditional junk that is out there.”
Funny thing is I see most the photos on these guys websites and can almost always tell you which traditional art/arts they have copied………rather poorly most of the time too I might add.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I WANT TO KNOW HOW WILL YOU REACT IN A REAL SITUATION?

Take your question over to the thread that is on that very subject.
Don't post it here.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since you guys are quick to judge my site (SERIOUSLY IF IT WAS READY FOR THE PUBLIC, IT WOULD BE IN THE SEARCH ENGINES AND I WOULD OF ACTIVATE THE PAYPAL ETC), heres some fuel for the fire.

My training methods are "functional" and the "core" can be taught on a video format! No complete system can be taught in video fashion but a Shodan is not out of the question.

Realistic reactionary fighting methods for a real world.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Since you guys are quick to judge my site (SERIOUSLY IF IT WAS READY FOR THE PUBLIC, IT WOULD BE IN THE SEARCH ENGINES AND I WOULD OF ACTIVATE THE PAYPAL ETC),

I found it in 2 seconds with a Google search.
Now, if you have something you want to say about the topic "Buying Dan rank over the Internet" feel free..........otherwise start your own thread.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry American Kenpo Buddy, but there are a couple of "your schoolmates" who are raping the video format.

You must no who thet are but one takes the cake. Steve sprys "Get your Kenpo Black Belt In One Year!!!

He's not the only one!!

At least I'm attemting t put out there realistic fighting that really works!!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yoiks. The topic of this thread is hoppin' around like a 2-year old with a full bladder.

I'll just hit a couple of points:

1) Buying dan rank over the Internet in another style is just stupid. Stupid. Stupid. The only reason I can see to do this is to defraud others.

2) I didn't pay a single penny for my test or my black belt. All my belt tests up to black were $20 a pop, regardless of what I was testing for (ie, no increase in testing fees as rank got higher). However, I paid zero for the black belt test. My instructor even bought me a very nice belt that I pain zilch for.

3) Sokeship. That term alone sounds ridiculous. How can someone else give you an inheritance? 'Soke' does not mean founder or grandmaster. It just indicates the fella that was left with the system. You don't buy that and someone else outside the system can't give it to you. If you create your own system, you are not the soke of that system, since you don't inherit stuff from yourself. The way it's done in the U.S. by these 'sokeship' (puke) granting organizations is a joke. Just send them enough money and some phoney certificates, and you too can be a 10th degree chainbelt in 'I Take Yu Do'.

4) I've always thought Gogen Yamaguchi's claims about killing a tiger were more than a little farfetched.

5) Urban's book is...interesting. I'm sorry, but I've never heard of a 7-foot Okinawan. Closest I've seen is my younger brother, who is a little over 6' and not full-blood Okinawan.

6) S'mores are tasty.

Cthulhu

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heres some fuel for the fire by some "supposed" well respected types:

http://stevespry.com/

http://www.adrianroman.com/

There is one in art in particular that has taken the heat for producing the 2 year black belt.

Well I just directed you to the 1 year black belt. See for yourself.

I TEACH "GENDAI BUJUTSU" , I DON'T TEACH TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS EXCEPT TO MY FAMILY WHO ALSO ARE STUDENTS OF MY INSTRUCTORS WITH MY INSTRUCTORS CONSENT!

If a student wishes to go the traditional route also, if my instructors approve it then OK, but other wise its pure Gendai Bujutsu which is a very effective and realistic method of training and execution!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found it in 2 seconds with a Google search.
Now, if you have something you want to say about the topic "Buying Dan rank over the Internet" feel free..........otherwise start your own thread.

I'm serious that I haven't put it in a search engines and I haven't complted my site, they have search engine placement but I haven't gone that far yet.

heres your link:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Dan+rank+over+the+Internet&btnG=Google+Search
idon't see myself in there! send me the exact page linking me!

I'M NOT SELLING RANK!! I DON'T CHARGE ANYTHING TO THOSE WHO I TEACH. WHEN I DO CHARGE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO KEEP INT DOWN TO AROUND$40 IN A MARKET THAT IS EASILY $75.-80. AND IF YOUR A GRACIE YOU CAN GET $100, for 1 DAY a week AND NOT EVEN HAVE TO BE PRESENT.

I WANT TO SUPPLEMENT THROUGH TRAINING OUTSIDERS THATS ALL. IF YOU LOOK AT THE WORDING CLOSELY YOU WILL SEE THAT EVEN AN "ASSOCIATED BLACK BELT" HAS TO PROVE THEIR RANK. I WANT TO GROW AN ORGANIZATION. OF COURSE ITS NOT THE SAME AS BEING THERE IN PERSON, BUT THE SCHOOL STUDENTS WILL BENEFIT IN INSTRUCTION AND FINANCIALLY.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
You got it somewhere else. TELL THE TRUTH!!

YOU PUT MY SITE IN THIS THREAD. I DIDN'T GIVE IT TO YOU. YOUR MESSED UP!

Latest Discussions