Buying Dan rank over the Internet

Do you think buying martial arts dan rank over the Internet is a legitimate way to ea

• Yes, it’s just as good or better than actually earning it the normal way by training in a dojo for

• No, it’s crap and not worth the paper it’s written on.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
I used to watch that show... Lee Van Cleif as "the (ninja) Master."

Gotta love 1980's TV programming...

By far and away THE worst martial arts TV series ever.......dude, did someone pay you to watch that?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
By far and away THE worst martial arts TV series ever.......dude, did someone pay you to watch that?

I dunno .. did ya ever watch "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues"?
That one 'stank t' high heaven':rofl:

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
....My credentials go beyond "paper" I Can Fight!....

Good for you. Now go to Lumpinee Stadium, Bangkok , Thailand and prove it :asian: ;) . The Muay Thai fighters there will do you honor.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO and limited knowledge about JKD, since Bruce Lee did not intend for JKD to be a style, all this lineage claim is meaningless. Since almost everyone interprets and evolves his/her own JKD, the most you can say is "my martial art as inspired by Bruce Lee's JKD".

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
IMHO and limited knowledge about JKD, since Bruce Lee did not intend for JKD to be a style, all this lineage claim is meaningless. Since almost everyone interprets and evolves his/her own JKD, the most you can say is "my martial art as inspired by Bruce Lee's JKD".

You don't understand what you trying to give an opinion of.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is not just my opinion. That view was also expressed by Hawkins Cheung. Cheung is one of Yip Man's original top studends, and Bruce Lee's training partner. Cheung has several articles about JKD, Bruce Lee and Wing Chun. His understanding of JKD is most illuminating.

I can see that you are the one who does not know as much about JKD as you claim. ;)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
That is not just my opinion. That view was also expressed by Hawkins Cheung. Cheung is one of Yip Man's original top studends, and Bruce Lee's training partner. Cheung has several articles about JKD, Bruce Lee and Wing Chun. His understanding of JKD is most illuminating.

I can see that you are the one who does not know as much about JKD as you claim. ;)

What you don't understand is Bruce died before " whatever he was doing" was complete. Whether a style, a system or a concept it dosen't matter what it was for Bruce. Neither you nor I was there. All we have are his writings and what he taught.

Bruces JKD was far from complete and when he left us, it was left to the individual students on what paths they would walk. I've talked at great lenth with my Sifu and Sigung and they have an art and that is what I learned and my lineage is legit, straight to Bruce.

You can quote people who knew Bruce if you want but you overlooked that although they trained with Bruce before JKD, they still were outsiders to JKD. And the closest they got to JKD was little more than conversation. As far as their conversations with Bruce, it was about "Bruces JKD!" :D Not the Macias Method that I learned. I don't even like the word JKD because people like you always have somebody to quote thinking it applies to me.

Thats what Bruce didn't want. No fussin' and fightin' over what is JKD! Mine is Kempo Jujitsu and it is just a name, so don't fuss over it. :D

OP
S

sweeper

as I understand it Hawkins Cheung didn't realy train much with bruce lee after he came to the US. (may be wrong?) Though he corosponded with him and trained with him when BL was in hong kong? (or am I thinking of someone else?). If that is the case I would imagine his students would have the best idea of what JKD is/was/should have been.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
As the "story " goes William Cheung was Bruces senior in Hong Kong and Hawkins wasn't much involved at all.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea I saw them advertising RyuShiKado Dan Rank in the Tokyo daily news.

Would that be the JKD version?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
What you don't understand is Bruce died before " whatever he was doing" was complete. Whether a style, a system or a concept it dosen't matter what it was for Bruce. Neither you nor I was there. All we have are his writings and what he taught.

Bruces JKD was far from complete and when he left us, it was left to the individual students on what paths they would walk. I've talked at great lenth with my Sifu and Sigung and they have an art and that is what I learned and my lineage is legit, straight to Bruce.

You can quote people who knew Bruce if you want but you overlooked that although they trained with Bruce before JKD, they still were outsiders to JKD. And the closest they got to JKD was little more than conversation. As far as their conversations with Bruce, it was about "Bruces JKD!" :D Not the Macias Method that I learned. I don't even like the word JKD because people like you always have somebody to quote thinking it applies to me.

Thats what Bruce didn't want. No fussin' and fightin' over what is JKD! Mine is Kempo Jujitsu and it is just a name, so don't fuss over it. :D

I suggest reading Hawkins Cheung's articles first. :asian:
Cheung's understanding of WingChun and JKD is most illuminating. One needs to read his articles before making judgement on whether he is an outsider or not.

OP
S

sweeper

could you give a link to somewhere where we could find some?

OP
S

sweeper

hmm.. my last post didn't go up..

yeah I went there, I did a google search and a blackbelt mag search, but all I could find was the "inside kung fu" article, is this the one you were talking about?

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Buying rank over the net is crap, no matter how you look at it. The only way I can see video coming into play is if you record your classes so you can better yourself, and improve your speed through constant repetition.

Also if you're not so good with language you always know what stance to be in, and what it's called. Permission from the instructor to do this should be asked before hand.

That would be the only way to video test, would be if you, or somebody else recorded your classes.

Still its still not the same as being there getting the first hand experience and knowledge offered in class.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can't believe this thread was revived...guess I didn't help by posting here either.

My own 2 cents: I am surprised there was a debate on this topic that generated 16 pages. It would be like, "is it legitimate to buy a law degree/medical degree on the internet?"

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can't believe this thread was revived...guess I didn't help by posting here either.

My own 2 cents: I am surprised there was a debate on this topic that generated 16 pages. It would be like, "is it legitimate to buy a law degree/medical degree on the internet?"

Similarly, people throw around the term "chef" when they really shouldn't. People have referred to me as a chef. I politely remind them that I never attended any school for culinary arts, and I certainly don't have enough experience running a kitchen to be a chef. I just like to cook, and sometimes people pay me to, and on occasion I've had to figure out how to run one myself because the manager was less than qualified or not there when he should have been. Not that I was qualified, but I was forced to try not to let the kitchen burn down on a couple occasions.

What made me sick (physically, literally) semi-recently was when a new restaurant opened up in town and the menu said things like "Our chef's own recipe" and other mentions of their "chef."

I worked in that kitchen for a day and a half. I had to leave before I actually threw up. The supposed "chef" had apparently cheated on her safe serve exam, if she even took it. Prepped food, including raw beef and chicken, was kept at room temperature for entire shifts. I saw the meat before it was cooked, and then realized that it was being served to the public. The thought of people eating beef that I had just seen turning grey (serve up a nice RANCID-BURGER! mmm) on the "prep table" made me about yack. Same thing with the chicken. They just let it sit out all shift so they wouldn't have to go all the way to the freezer to get it for an order. Salmonella, anyone? The list goes on.

I'm friends with the owner, so I wrote down a list of everything that would get them fined, if not closed down immediately, by a surprise visit from the health board.

Latest Discussions