Buying Dan rank over the Internet

Do you think buying martial arts dan rank over the Internet is a legitimate way to ea

• Yes, it’s just as good or better than actually earning it the normal way by training in a dojo for

• No, it’s crap and not worth the paper it’s written on.

Results are only viewable after voting.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
It's clear to me that someone here doesn't know what the crap he's talking about, and I'm not being rude - just observant. I think I need to unsubscribe to this thread.

The real reason you ignored what I brought on your art is you know its true. I know this because before long JKD I was Kajukenbo. Ed Parkers high rank did not come from William Chow.
I'm only speaking about his 8th degree. It came from adriano Emperado the founder of Kajukenbo. Emperado was qualified to give this rank but the question re-appears.

William Chow is still alive but Ed Parker gets a high rank from Emperado.

Also Adriano Emperado received his high rank from someone other than William Chow. See for your self:

http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hist_gen

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CN: Kajukenbo has a lot of kung fu elements, did you also train in kung fu?

EMPERADO: Yes, in my 30s I also trained in various forms of kung fu under , Professor Wong, and Professor Lau. It was several years later that these Professors and the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association awarded me the title of Professor, 10th degree. I was also awarded a certificate by Grandmaster Ho Gau of Hong Kong appointing me as an advisor and representative of the "Choy Li Fut" system. This certificate was signed by Grandmaster Ho Gau, Professor Cheuk Tse and the directors of the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CN: How well did you know Ed Parker?

EMPERADO: Before he started training with Professor Chow, Ed trained with me for about 2 weeks. While he was with me he took the first 8mm movies of the Palama settlement training. I knew him for many years. At times when I was in California he would have me as his guest of honor at the Long Beach Internationals. After Ed left Hawaii he became estranged from Professor Chow. It was Ed who brought kenpo to mainland America, made it popular, and made so many contributions to the art, so in the late 60s I promoted him to 8th degree black belt.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Hell, I could give you an educated comment about either one....:)

Sorry, that should read "couldn't" give you an educated comment about either one....:)

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Aegis
I can't actually believe that 5 people voted yes on that poll....

I can't believe even one person voted "yes", let alone 5.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

You have posted this same info at least 3 times now on other threads.............we get your point.

Originally posted by akja

William Chow is still alive but Ed Parker gets a high rank from Emperado.

Also Adriano Emperado received his high rank from someone other than William Chow. See for your self:

http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hist_gen

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CN: Kajukenbo has a lot of kung fu elements, did you also train in kung fu?

EMPERADO: Yes, in my 30s I also trained in various forms of kung fu under , Professor Wong, and Professor Lau. It was several years later that these Professors and the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association awarded me the title of Professor, 10th degree. I was also awarded a certificate by Grandmaster Ho Gau of Hong Kong appointing me as an advisor and representative of the "Choy Li Fut" system. This certificate was signed by Grandmaster Ho Gau, Professor Cheuk Tse and the directors of the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CN: How well did you know Ed Parker?

EMPERADO: Before he started training with Professor Chow, Ed trained with me for about 2 weeks. While he was with me he took the first 8mm movies of the Palama settlement training. I knew him for many years. At times when I was in California he would have me as his guest of honor at the Long Beach Internationals. After Ed left Hawaii he became estranged from Professor Chow. It was Ed who brought kenpo to mainland America, made it popular, and made so many contributions to the art, so in the late 60s I promoted him to 8th degree black belt.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

I stand by what I said regarding advanced technique.

I can't believe anyone is still doing 'spinning back roundhouse kicks' and think the're learning a 'martial' art.

They [such kicks] might work if you're a ninja turtle or something, but 'real' fighting requiers 'real' techniques not the hollywood kind. You only have to look back to the shambles that Taekwondo put up in the last Olympic Games to see what this kind of thinking does to martial arts.

A year of training [4 or 5 times a week] can get any fit young person to look like they know what the're doing on the outside, but that is not the same as someone who has a deep 'feeling' for what they know. It's the understanding and intention that make a technique work, not just the physical move.

The advanced ability comes not from the move but the mind that's directing it. This is what takes the long hours of training to develop, not the move its self.

Only my opinion of course, all you spinning back kickers out there no doubt know better and will have a few comments of your own?

Mike.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Well I believe there are advanced techniques. Certain techniques that you just would not teach a white belt. Sorry maybe it's just me. But that's my opinion.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike Clarke
I stand by what I said regarding advanced technique.

I can't believe anyone is still doing 'spinning back roundhouse kicks' and think the're learning a 'martial' art.

They [such kicks] might work if you're a ninja turtle or something, but 'real' fighting requiers 'real' techniques not the hollywood kind. You only have to look back to the shambles that Taekwondo put up in the last Olympic Games to see what this kind of thinking does to martial arts.

A year of training [4 or 5 times a week] can get any fit young person to look like they know what the're doing on the outside, but that is not the same as someone who has a deep 'feeling' for what they know. It's the understanding and intention that make a technique work, not just the physical move.

The advanced ability comes not from the move but the mind that's directing it. This is what takes the long hours of training to develop, not the move its self.

Only my opinion of course, all you spinning back kickers out there no doubt know better and will have a few comments of your own?

Mike.

As I recall; Wonder Woman had this spinning technique that worked really well. Everytime she did it the bad guys got whooped.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Yeah, but she had bulletproof bracelets, an invisible plane and a magic lasso, too...

And 2 ICBMs stuck in her back!!........if you know what I mean;)

OP
S

sweeper

Originally posted by SRyuFighter
Well I believe there are advanced techniques. Certain techniques that you just would not teach a white belt. Sorry maybe it's just me. But that's my opinion.

Well in the context of the question, one of AKja's main influences is training in JKD, JKD does not have such techniques.. Latter on there are some tricks thrown in but they aren't real "techniques" as most anyone would think of them. Time is spent learning how to implament those techniques you do use.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Yea like I said somewhere in these 14 pages, different styles, different philosiphies.

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that buying rank over the internet would only be legitimate if you could absolutly prove that you had watched EVERY episode of KUNG FU. Second Dan would require you to watch the Mutant Ninja Turtles. The testing requirements would be very strict though.:rolleyes:

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Why ask why??

In a confrontation are going to you react using the "actual' traditional techniques you were taught or are you going to adapt and modify as needed?
In an argument are you going to use the 'actual' language you have learned, or are you just going to point and grunt?

OP
D

Disco

GM, What could I expect with the following: Watched every kung fu TV show twice. Saw all three ninja turtle movies. Watched all of bruce lee's movies. Also jackie chan's, chuck norris, steven seagal and lots of names I can't pronounce. I also have specialized focus. I did see the original pilot of the green hornet. Plus, mind you, plus I eat chinese food once a week.

In addition (Oh yes there's more), I once talked with a korean guy on the bus for about 4 hours. I think his name was Sum Dum Guy.

You think I should post all this background info on that other thread? I don't want to intimidate anyone.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Disco

In addition (Oh yes there's more), I once talked with a korean guy on the bus for about 4 hours. I think his name was Sum Dum Guy.

I know his cousin Hung Far Low, and his aunt Sum Dum Ho;)

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Disco
GM, What could I expect with the following: Watched every kung fu TV show twice. Saw all three ninja turtle movies. Watched all of bruce lee's movies. Also jackie chan's, chuck norris, steven seagal and lots of names I can't pronounce. I also have specialized focus. I did see the original pilot of the green hornet. Plus, mind you, plus I eat chinese food once a week.

You think I should post all this background info on that other thread? I don't want to intimidate anyone.
I bow to the MASTER:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

Originally posted by SRyuFighter
Yea like I said somewhere in these 14 pages, different styles, different philosiphies.

OK, I must have missed it than. sorry to bring it up again :)

Latest Discussions