Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
...and anyone that has seen it can apply the lashings themselves.

Mr. T could take 'em both.:boing1:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Return of the Dragon... written and directed by Lee himself because the Hong Kong studios wouldn't let him so pppffftt on them he went to a Rome location and filmed it there. It became a hit and the HK studios relented and allowed him more artistic freedom(s), which led to Fist of Fury (aka Chinese Connection) and the famous Enter The Dragon.

There were two versions of the fight between Lee and Norris... Each version (respectively) shown that the other won. Norris was Karate Champion back in the states at the time and it was felt that having him LOSE wouldn't be good PR... thus Norris defeats and kills Lee's character. The chinese version of course is the one shown as Lee's popularity over shadowed Norris' in the later years.

Finding the Norris victory is extremely difficult to do. But not impossible. God knows I've tried. If anyone knows where to get their hands on it ... they'd got a gold-mine for the exceedingly rare value that version of the film holds.

:asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
If not a clip of Norris winning, how does the movie resolve if Colt wins? Seems like that'd be completely nonsensical.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
If not a clip of Norris winning, how does the movie resolve if Colt wins? Seems like that'd be completely nonsensical.

I don't know. But you get a gold star for remembering the name of Norris's character in the movie. :)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I kinda feel that Norris piggy backed on Lee's fame...Do you agree?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...Bruce Lee was the rising tide that lifted all martial artists' ships in the movies. His success also dictated conventions for the genre...I don't see how it could have happened any other way than for Chuck Norris to benefit from Bruce Lee' success.

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well...Bruce Lee was the rising tide that lifted all martial artists' ships in the movies. His success also dictated conventions for the genre...I don't see how it could have happened any other way than for Chuck Norris to benefit from Bruce Lee' success.

Good point. The entire martial arts explosion of the 70s and 80s was a direct result of "Enter the Dragon". After that, "everybody was kung fu fighting", then ninja fighting, etc. etc.

Vic
www.combatartsusa.com

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
I kinda feel that Norris piggy backed on Lee's fame...Do you agree?

Bruce Lee was the man who got Norris into acting in the first place. I doubt Lee would've minded seeing a friend become successful in his own right.

green meanie said:
But you get a gold star for remembering the name of Norris's character in the movie. :)

Return of the Dragon's my favorite Bruce Lee movie. "I'm from the country, and in the country, we do kung fu!" The looks of sheer horror on everyone's face when Lee's character starts kung fu'ing about after that speech, along with Lee's almost insane look as he announces it... Classic comedy.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Bruce Lee was the man who got Norris into acting in the first place. I doubt Lee would've minded seeing a friend become successful in his own right.
Absolutely correct, while he became a huge star in his homeland/city he knew the trials and tribulations of actors, which he always considered himself to be first. So the rise of another actor because of him casting is just one way of acknowledging their efforts. If you notice several of the cast members re-appear in his other efforts.

Marginal said:
Return of the Dragon's my favorite Bruce Lee movie. "I'm from the country, and in the country, we do kung fu!" The looks of sheer horror on everyone's face when Lee's character starts kung fu'ing about after that speech, along with Lee's almost insane look as he announces it... Classic comedy.
Again, another affirmation that he was a serious actor.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
That, and it's funny 'cause it's true.

Anyone who loudly announces they do a MA in a random public place, then start demoing moves on the spot's gonna get similar looks. ;)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just saying....Anyways, all of Chuck Norris's Stuff lately has been kinda bland.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
Return of the Dragon

Its called way of the dragon here, i also have a copy of it called fury of the dragon.