Broadsword form

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47martial man,

I agree with you about the nunchakus. They have no place in Taiji training. Although a group here in the UK (Lee Family Arts) claim to teach this art as part of their Taiji programme. Just about sums up their Taiji training programme!!

Regards

Alistair Sutherland.

OP
I

Isrephael

Excellent. I'm working on the Chen Dao Form right now myself. Which one will you be training in, exactly?

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I play Traditional Yang Family 13 posture Sabre form. Interestingly enough, the Yang Family use the Southern Sabre rather than the traditional Broadsword.

Very best wishes

Alistair Sutherland

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ah. I'm not very familiar with Chen style, so it's no wonder I hadn't heard about it. Maybe some day I'll have the time, money, and/or whatever else to study it. It would be interesting to learn the different styles. I'd probably stick with basic barehand forms though.

Aside: I know it's in pretty common use, but I really don't like that "play taiji" phrase/concept because of what "play" implies. I prefer to use "practice" or "study" or something like that. But that's just me.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chen's considered the oldest of the Taiji families.

Why worry about play?? That what the Chinese use... play. It doesn't imply anything negative.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've read about the basic history of tai chi and know that Chen is generally considered the oldest style. "Hadn't heard about it" meant the weapons in the style, not the style as a whole.

I didn't say "play" was necessarily negative, but the first thing it suggests to me is "games". That's why I don't like using it for a MA which people can seriously study and practice for a lifetime. Besides, you don't play karate or TKD or any other MA, do you? Why just tai chi? *shrug* It's not a major worry. I was just saying that I don't like the phrase and don't use it myself, that's all.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dronak,

I have no problem with your objection to "play" and can fully understand your reticence to use it. My own Master (Chinese) always used the word "play" and I have also continued to use it ever since.

Very best wishes

Alistair Sutherland