Breathing in fast punches

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you throw 5 punches in 1 second, what will be your breathing pattern?

Since you don't have time to inhale, we may just talk about exhale here.

Do you

1. hold your breath when you throw 5 punches?
2. exhale any way that you may feel like (such as hold breath on your 1st punch, exhale on your 2nd punch, …)?
3. exhale equally and partially for each of your 5 punches such as 1/5, 1/5, 1/5, 1/5, 1/5 and end with empty lung?
4. exhale equally and partially for each of your 5 punches 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, and end with 1/6 lung capacity?
5. ...

In the following clip, he throws 17 punches non-stop. Did he

1. hold his breath during these 17 punches?
2. exhale partially at any punch he may like.
3. exhale partially and equally at each punch?
4. inhale between punches?
5. ...

Your thought?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you throw 5 punches in 1 second, what will be your breathing pattern?

Since you don't have time to inhale, we may just talk about exhale here.

Do you

1. hold your breath when you throw 5 punches?
2. exhale any way that you may feel like (such as hold breath on your 1st punch, exhale on your 2nd punch, …)?
3. exhale equally and partially for each of your 5 punches such as 1/5, 1/5, 1/5, 1/5, 1/5 and end with empty lung?
4. exhale equally and partially for each of your 5 punches 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, and end with 1/6 lung capacity?
5. ...

In the following clip, he throws 17 punches non-stop. Did he

1. hold his breath during these 17 punches?
2. exhale partially at any punch he may like.
3. exhale partially and equally at each punch?
4. inhale between punches?
5. ...

Your thought?

i don't think many people can throw five punches in 1 second, i timed that roughly and it looks like 17 punches in 5 seconds and some were far from proper punches, its the volume rather than the quality that over welms him. i think he was going down after 4.

as to the question, punching on the exhale is mostly nonsense, if you have the blood oxigene to do your punches you don't need to breath at all, though its good practice to breath in a normal controlled way, it makes no difference if he was inhaling or exhaling or quite probably both durry the flurry, as really you should be breathing at a second in, a second out, you should not be running out of oxygen in 5 seconds ( in fact you should not be using oxygen at all), there's no need to elevate your breathing

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember when we did a slow multiple technique combination, we would do little breaths in prior to each technique.

BUT when we did it fast paced, we would just do the one breath for the whole sequence, little exhales on each technique, but the final technique would usually be a "kiai" and would be the most air expelled with that one. So what would that be for a 5 technique combo... something like

1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 4/8

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me it depends on the type Punch combo

It's either one controlled exhale or one controlled choppy exhale. The choppy exhales are almost like a mix between holding our breath and exhaling but we don't actually hold our breath. We exhale in spurts. When I used to do my sparring class we would do 100 punches as fast as we could non-stop. This helped us learn how to breathe in while punching.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me it depends on the type Punch combo

It's either one controlled exhale or one controlled choppy exhale. The choppy exhales are almost like a mix between holding our breath and exhaling but we don't actually hold our breath. We exhale in spurts. When I used to do my sparring class we would do 100 punches as fast as we could non-stop. This helped us learn how to breathe in while punching.
why did you have to learn to breath in? its a natural thing to do. the only answer is you trained yourself to only punch on the exhale which is not a natural thing, then had to relearn normal breathing when you got to do more than two or three punches in succession, which seems to be a waste of time all round

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BUT when we did it fast paced, we would just do the one breath for the whole sequence, little exhales on each technique,
Little exhales is a good description. This is how my breathing is some time, but i don't hold my breath in between I still exhale continuously but with short bursts of little exhales.

If I punch slower than 5 punches a second then "slower speed than my fastest" then I can get short inhales. If I do large circular punches the I can get longer exhales.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Little exhales is a good description. This is how my breathing is some time, but i don't hold my breath in between I still exhale continuously but with short bursts of little exhales.

If I punch slower than 5 punches a second then "slower speed than my fastest" then I can get short inhales. If I do large circular punches the I can get longer exhales.
a genuine question, what6 possible benefit does t5hat give you over normal breathing ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why did you have to learn to breath in?
When I'm say this I mean large deep inhales while not losing power in my punches. Sort of like when you get your cardio up after a sprint a lot of people take those short quick inhales because that's the natural way. But some will take deep inhales instead. This isn't natural it's controlled breathing. So during the 100 punches we would take the longer deeper inhales. One of the problems that I had to correct during forms and sparring is that they would hold their breath. But learning how to take those deep inhales helped to get rid of that habit.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a genuine question, what6 possible benefit does t5hat give you over normal breathing ?
Little choppy exhales helps with bracing for impact of an incoming punch or kick to the torso, or helps get a mini refill of air in between a punch.or kicks. Depending n a the combo I may be able to get a bigger inhale or deeper exhale. I think of it like Sprinting vs Running long distance. The breathing methods are not the same.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Little choppy exhales helps with bracing for impact of an incoming punch or kick to the torso, or helps get a mini refill of air in between a punch.or kicks. Depending n a the combo I may be able to get a bigger inhale or deeper exhale. I think of it like Sprinting vs Running long distance. The breathing methods are not the same.
there's no science in that answer, the question is how does punching on a long choppy exhale aid your punching over normal controlled breathing ?

neither sprintors or longer distance runners do long choppy exhales, in fact im struggling to think of any other sport except tma that does !

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there's no science in that answer, the question is how does punching on a long choppy exhale aid your punching over normal controlled breathing ?
One is punching with the expectation that I'm going to get hit or kicked while punching. When I exhale i can tighten my core much faster. But I don't need a full exhale just short burst for a short period as I know the punch or kick's impact will be quick. The other benefit for me is power generation but I don't have time to get into that now.

I'm not trying to highlight science with my answer. I'm high lighting that there are different types of breathing for different purposes. Breathing for sprinting is different than breathing for long distance running. Breathing for one type of punch is different than the breathing I use for another punch or a kick. You have to keep in mind that we don't punch the same way.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
neither sprintors or longer distance runners do long choppy exhales,
I ran track for 6 years competitively. I did both cross country running (running through the woods) and sprints. So I know first hand that both do not use the same breathing patterns.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ran track for 6 years competitively. I did both cross country running (running through the woods) and sprints. So I know first hand that both do not use the same breathing patterns.
no they dont, but that's largely irrelevant to the question, neither of them use a long choppy exhale either, so the question again as you seem to have a bit of trouble grasping it. what advantage to your punching performance does a long choppy exhale give, in terms of human physiology. clearly you must be believe it does or you wouldn't be doing it

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never thought of that to that detail, but probably 4.

If long combination, probably will inspire slowly during set-up / keep him busy and expire on power strikes.

In sparring, I just breath quite normally as power is often out of the mix and I just need oxygen to last 1 or 2 hours.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
no they dont, but that's largely irrelevant to the question, neither of them use a long choppy exhale either, so the question again as you seem to have a bit of trouble grasping it. what advantage to your punching performance does a long choppy exhale give, in terms of human physiology. clearly you must be believe it does or you wouldn't be doing it
When you run hurdles in track your breath changes each time you jump. So when you jump over the hurdle you give a short excel. your breathing will continue with this pattern so long as you have a hurdle to jump over.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Helps to prepare for an impact. From a kick or punch that I may not expect.
2. Helps execute certain combinations
3. In some cases it helps to generate power

What you aren't understanding is that there is a one size fits all for breathing. My exhales for my long fist techniques are longer than my exhales for my jab. My double jab and my hook combination uses. 2 short exhales and a bigger exhale for the hook. My sweeps have a different breathing pattern as well.

If I do a vertical backfist I give a big sharp exhale so I can collapse my weight into my strike. So yeah I do short choppy exhales sometimes. with each jab I do short exhale burst.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. Helps to prepare for an impact. From a kick or punch that I may not expect.
2. Helps execute certain combinations
3. In some cases it helps to generate power

What you aren't understanding is that there is a one size fits all for breathing. My exhales for my long fist techniques are longer than my exhales for my jab. My double jab and my hook combination uses. 2 short exhales and a bigger exhale for the hook. My sweeps have a different breathing pattern as well.

If I do a vertical backfist I give a big sharp exhale so I can collapse my weight into my strike. So yeah I do short choppy exhales sometimes. with each jab I do short exhale burst.
non of them are scientifically provable , for instances ,in what way does a long choppy exhale generate more power ?, its nonsense wrapped up as information

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
non of them are scientifically provable , for instances ,in what way does a long choppy exhale generate more power ?, its nonsense wrapped up as information
Wang didn't ask me to prove anything he asked me about my thoughts on exhaling and that's what I gave.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would use a continuous smooth exhale, one of the world's top athletics coach's Micheal Johnson, teaches his students regulated breathwork, especially breath continuity, I.e not holding the breath, along with the biomechanics at each phase of the race and which type of breath pattern for each phase.
I do not beleive this former multi world champion and multi world record holder, would teach the importance of breathwork, if he did not understand or beleive, or there was no evidence for.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would use a continuous smooth exhale, one of the world's top athletics coach's Micheal Johnson, teaches his students regulated breathwork, especially breath continuity, I.e not holding the breath, along with the biomechanics at each phase of the race and which type of breath pattern for each phase.
I do not beleive this former multi world champion and multi world record holder, would teach the importance of breathwork, if he did not understand or beleive, or there was no evidence for.
are you taking on the debate ?, no one is saying controlled breathing isn't a good idea, or rather uncontrolled breathing is a really bad idea

but Mr johnson was amongst other things a 400 meter runner, clearly he did not not exhale for the duration of a race, if he was breathing on say a 4 second interval thyats 10 breaths in a 400 meter race( or rather 12 on before he set off and one for he last 3 seconds)

but then how do you reconcile that with the claim above that long CHOPPY exhales are best, im sure mr johnson's breaths aren't choppy and that over extending your breathing long past the point were your extracting oxygen is some how increasing your punching power. if ithis is a good idea im sure its documented somewhere