Breaking the Cross and The Bridge

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see these two techs as a variation on the same theme. They both begin with the same countergrab and stepping to 9:00.

The variation comes with the next step. With Breaking the Cross, you step forward to about 12:00 with the right foot and pivot to face the opponent, ducking the head and clearing his hands off and crossing his elbows while gripping his wrists; break his elbows across your knee and finish with a kick.

With The Bridge, you step back to about 7:00 and duck your head, removing his grip; then step forward to where you were, gripping his wrists with his arms crossed at the elbows, to be broken as you step forward. Finish with elbows and hammerfists, etc.

What I see as the common thread here is that this is essentially the same technique, with a variation if the attacker grabs and pushes you forward, or grabs and pulls you back. We have the clearing movements, and we end up with his arms crossed at the elbows for the break, in both techs.

Comments, anyone?

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Bridge works well if you are forced up against a wall and really being pinned.

Breaking the Cross/Opening the Cowl step to 11:00 and work well if you have a strong right side, (some guys just like to break ribs with their right punch, etc--I don't recommend it for women so often.)

On a similiar note--The Lion has got to be one of the worst techniques we have for a front two hand choke, if there is room to move. However, it is about the only technique that will work if you are being bent over the hood of a car.

Of course, I have never done such a thing...really, never...you can't count that time when I was really young and did not know any better.

Jim

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see these two techs as a variation on the same theme. They both begin with the same countergrab and stepping to 9:00.

The variation comes with the next step. With Breaking the Cross, you step forward to about 12:00 with the right foot and pivot to face the opponent, ducking the head and clearing his hands off and crossing his elbows while gripping his wrists; break his elbows across your knee and finish with a kick.

With The Bridge, you step back to about 7:00 and duck your head, removing his grip; then step forward to where you were, gripping his wrists with his arms crossed at the elbows, to be broken as you step forward. Finish with elbows and hammerfists, etc.

What I see as the common thread here is that this is essentially the same technique, with a variation if the attacker grabs and pushes you forward, or grabs and pulls you back. We have the clearing movements, and we end up with his arms crossed at the elbows for the break, in both techs.

Comments, anyone?
Just from my knowledge of similar EPAK stuff, You shouldn't think of the arms as equal. One gets pulled long and the other crosses.
Sean

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Comments, anyone?

Yep, go one more step. They are both variations of Dancer. Which is the opposite of Crash of the Eagle. Orange Belt covers the rear chokes fairly completely. Just about everything beyond this belt is a variation on these same concepts.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is bringing back such memories! You guys are making me pull out my notes.

Thanks!

TOD, good point about the arms. Pulling one arm harder tends to add more contorl and insure better compliance. I also find it easier to let go of one arm if needed to pull the attacker into an even more advantageous position (like a toy top).

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, go one more step. They are both variations of Dancer. Which is the opposite of Crash of the Eagle. Orange Belt covers the rear chokes fairly completely. Just about everything beyond this belt is a variation on these same concepts.

Good points. thank you.