Brand Loyalty?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do any of you here insist on using only one brand of uniform/equipment, such as Macho, Proforce, etc?

Instructors, do you require the students in your school to only use one brand in the school? If so, why? Is it about quality of the product or uniformity?

AoG

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know someone that does. An acquaintance that teaches part-time that gets skin rashes easily and sticks to one brand because it doesn't make their skin break out as much. They don't insist that their students only use one brand though...it's just a personal decision they made for their own gear. Makes sense to me.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, our school pretty much uses Pro Force equipment. I do have a couple of Munzo JudoGi as well. Most of our students end up getting Pro Force just because we have a wholesale account with them. I encourage them to look around and find other stuff, possibly at a better price.

Jeff

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been partial to Macho & Ringside for equipment, primarily because their customer support and service has been extremely good, in my experience. Macho also was one of the few places I could find the safety punch type of glove with fully enclosed fingers; everywhere else seemed to be selling lightweight boxing gloves. Ringside stands behind their products, and their phone sales reps have even checked to see how they could get me the best prices...

Of course, having wholesale/dealer accounts with both helps, too.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't require any particular brand, but I do have my preferances the same as any other person. My only requirement I palce on my students is the color of uniform that they wear.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used a lot of different companies for a lot of different items. But some things I have a great loyality to. Macho Dynakicks, for one. They were the 1st foot gear that I used when I started TKD in 1982. Almost everything else I'll use whatever I find that works.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We carry Century uniforms for the students but I highly recomend and use Shureido products when people are ready to move up.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
The students can choose different companies because each co. has a different cut for the body types. Century tends to be more sport figure cut, where proforce has a little more room for, ummm, not sport figures. What i found to be great and i might catch some slack for this but hey, century has a new womens gi out that my females students have really taken a liking to. It is tailored for a women. the biggest thing for uniforms is they have to buy their uniforms from the school so when i see someone come in with a brand i have never bought i pull them aside and show them the school policy on uniforms that is posted on the walls. Also when they order through the school we can tell them if the gi is acceptable or not. (colors, styles)
In Peace
Jesse

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't set a hard-line rule about brands, but we do want people to have decent quality uniforms.

We've been going primarily with Kamikaze / Tokon (essentially the same uniform, just different companies now), since they have an excellent selection of uniforms that range from your entry-level student gi (Kodomo, much better than most other student gi's), all the way to the really nice middle and heavyweight gi's preferred by the instructors. I've used a Europa (middleweight), Monarch (heavyweight), Asia (heavyweight, a bit lighter than the Monarch), and Sovereign (middleweight, but a very nice one, especially in the summer), and have been quite satisfied with them.

If you're a school, then either of the above companies will gladly open up a wholesale account for you.

As stated above, we don't require that people use the above brands, and if someone wants us to order a $200+ Shureido uniform, then we'll certainly be happy to do so.

We strongly recommend to our students, that they get their supplies from us. It's not really for the $$$, since the amount we charge is about in line with what ordinary retailers would charge (actually a bit less, and since they don't have to pay shipping...), but because of the fact that we know what they're getting.

Yes, people can probably do some internet scouring and find cheaper prices, but how many of you who are instructors dread seeing someone come into class with a brand new Century gi that was purchased from the local sporting goods store?

I don't mean their nicer heavyweight ones; I'm referring to those awful paper-thin gi's that stick to your skin once any measure of perspiration has been absorbed. Yes, the same ones that when students start doing situps on the floor, leave a big wet spot, and the same ones that a hard-working will complain of overheating in, since the sweat sticks to them. They're also the same uniforms that will rip with any modicum of throwing / grappling.

Yup, I thought so!
icon10.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say that I don't give a lot of choices to my students, tho. Basically, because I don't want them to get "stuck" with something that is either poor quality or something they don't need. I will encourage to buy items of higher quality as they progress & ask about them.

I will say that I'm quite loyal to Eosin Panther for my belts, also. A quality black belt makes a different IMO.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The students can choose different companies because each co. has a different cut for the body types. Century tends to be more sport figure cut, where proforce has a little more room for, ummm, not sport figures. What i found to be great and i might catch some slack for this but hey, century has a new womens gi out that my females students have really taken a liking to. It is tailored for a women. the biggest thing for uniforms is they have to buy their uniforms from the school so when i see someone come in with a brand i have never bought i pull them aside and show them the school policy on uniforms that is posted on the walls. Also when they order through the school we can tell them if the gi is acceptable or not. (colors, styles)
In Peace
Jesse
OK... So why do you require that they purchase through the school? I could see suggesting certain brands or even requiring them... But, to me, it seems like a "must purchase uniforms through the school" is just a money making gimmick, without some explanation as to why.

Our uniform is a black karate-style gi. I don't even push that on new students, and in a typical class, black sweats and t-shirt are fine.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have tried alot of stuff over the last 20 yrs. As far as sparring gear use what you can get/afford. Uniforms, some fit me better than others. Tokon is nice. Tried an HSU gi, not bad for the $. Tried Kwon an KI recently, ok but not my top pick.

Students can wear any brand dogi they want, just has to be white.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What i found to be great and i might catch some slack for this but hey, century has a new womens gi out that my females students have really taken a liking to. It is tailored for a women.

Actually, that's a pretty good niche for those who make uniforms. JUKA also makes a gi that quite a few women Karate-ka prefer (Diamond).

Kime's Maestro also seems to be popular with the ladies.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK... So why do you require that they purchase through the school? I could see suggesting certain brands or even requiring them... But, to me, it seems like a "must purchase uniforms through the school" is just a money making gimmick, without some explanation as to why.

I disagree. I want my students to order through me because I sell them for cost, rather than $45, which is what the local sports store sells them for. Plus, if they order from me, I can make sure they get a black uniform and not the wrong color (students wear black only).
Finally, if they order from me, I can make sure it is from KWON or Proforce, the two companies I prefer.

AoG

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, people can probably do some internet scouring and find cheaper prices, but how many of you who are instructors dread seeing someone come into class with a brand new Century gi that was purchased from the local sporting goods store?

Yup, I thought so!
icon10.gif

lol
I agree!

AoG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jks9199
I disagree. I want my students to order through me because I sell them for cost, rather than $45, which is what the local sports store sells them for. Plus, if they order from me, I can make sure they get a black uniform and not the wrong color (students wear black only).
Finally, if they order from me, I can make sure it is from KWON or Proforce, the two companies I prefer.

AoG

And that's fine. Note that I said "without some explanation as to why." You've got an explanation that makes sense, as does keeping to brands that you feel have good quality. Would you permit a student to wear a uniform they purchased somewhere else, if it matched the quality?

Personally, I don't require my students to order uniforms through me -- but many do, simply because I sell them at about cost (plus a buck or two towards shipping), as well. (In fact, I've sold them at a loss before, because I quoted the wrong price.) So it's probably cheaper. The ones I order for them are decent, not outstanding... But the price is reasonable. If they want something heavier or better quality, they can shop for themselves! Like I said -- all I require for class is black sweats and a black t-shirt, available at any of several local stores for around $20. I've got plenty of white belts around to distribute!

But we also all know, I'm sure, of the places that require you to buy their official, approved, custom embroidered uniform with a nice profit for the school, too...

Latest Discussions