Boys in the Boat

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A friend of mine shared that a movie is being made about his father (along with a book deal, as well).

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Kenn...Drama-The-Boys-In-The-Boat-23496.html?_r=true

My friend's dad was a rower on that team. I've heard the stories over the years, but this is pretty darned cool. He's really pleased (and rightfully so).

According to my friend, they actually came up with the idea of turning the wrists to skim the top of the water, making their strokes much more efficient, and it quickly became the way everyone did it.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine shared that a movie is being made about his father (along with a book deal, as well).

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Kenn...Drama-The-Boys-In-The-Boat-23496.html?_r=true

My friend's dad was a rower on that team. I've heard the stories over the years, but this is pretty darned cool. He's really pleased (and rightfully so).

According to my friend, they actually came up with the idea of turning the wrists to skim the top of the water, making their strokes much more efficient, and it quickly became the way everyone did it.

friends Dad? or Grandfather? Not that it matters... its always cool to hear stories of friends, family, and acquaintences only to eventually find otu it is put into print or even better film after the fact.

I assume that his father/grandfather is no longer around? Or if so that would have to put him at about 100 years old, give or take a couple years.. yes?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
friends Dad? or Grandfather? Not that it matters... its always cool to hear stories of friends, family, and acquaintences only to eventually find otu it is put into print or even better film after the fact.

I assume that his father/grandfather is no longer around? Or if so that would have to put him at about 100 years old, give or take a couple years.. yes?
His dad. My friend is almost 65. His dad died a few years back, in 2007 at 93.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2003880103_obit12.html

Joe's the second from the left.

2003834720.jpg

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that the book came out on Tuesday. I just finished reading it, and it's excellent. Joe Rantz led a pretty damned amazing life, and the story seems tailor made for Hollywood. The author did a very nice job, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boys-Boat-Americans-Olympics/dp/067002581X/

No word on whats going on with the screenplay, but as far as I know, the Weinstein Brothers still own the option.

Edit: just wanted to add that teh 1936 olympics were very well documented because Hitler hired a filmographer, so the video is on YouTube:

I'm pretty sure that the 'in boat' segments were inserted in post production, as the cameras for that time would have been very large. But it's exciting to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I'm really glad you added on to this as I missed it the first time around. That looks like a fascinating story.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the 'in boat' segments were inserted in post production, as the cameras for that time would have been very large. But it's exciting to watch.

Not sure if Leni Riefenstahl was doing the work, but most likely. Considering the equipment though the shots in the boat were amazing still!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not sure if Leni Riefenstahl was doing the work, but most likely. Considering the equipment though the shots in the boat were amazing still!
You're probably right.

I may have some of the details wrong, but of the 7 or so races that day, Germany won 5, and the UK had won one. The 8 man race was the most prestigious and the Nazis had stacked the deck in their favor.

The inside lanes, where Germany and Italy were positioned, were the fastest lanes in the most calm area. The outside lanes, 5 and 6, were where they put the USA and the UK. USA was in the furthest lane, where the wind was stronger and the lake choppier. Typically, the boats with the fastest qualifying times got the favorable lanes. But the UK and the USA had the best qualifying times, and Germany and Italy had the worst.

Also, at the start, the wind was high and the starter (a German) turned towards lanes 1 and 2, so that the UK and the USA teams didn't even know the race had started until they were almost 2 full strokes behind. Shenanigans, I tell you!

Oh, and one of the guys, the stroke seat in the boat, had been sick for two days and rowed the race with a 104F fever.

I'll tell you guys frankly, I was looking forward to this book mainly because I have ties to it and want to support my friend. But, having read the book, I recommend it without reservation to anyone. It's a great story very well told.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the 8 man is the flagshsip of the regatta, regardless of nation.
(yeah, there were a few more shenanigans during those games...the eventers, known then as Military, the Germans knew the shallow path through the water hazard...a lot of the other guys went for a swim!)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's the official trailer for the book, narrated by my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get a copy myself.

A book I'm reading right now is a book on the history of the mountain where I'm volunteering. It was written in 1936, and while the story of the mountain is interesting, I find that I'm equally captivated by the insight to how life was like at that time, and in the decades before. Sure, one can look at historical documents and texts to learn about the period, but to read individual accounts of what a person did or experienced has a special way of making the time come alive and speak :)

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for bumping this thread, had no idea this existed. Will definitely pick up a copy asap, love these types of books and this one looks especially interesting.

Latest Discussions