Boston terrorist Tamerlan Tsarnaev - Photo Essay as MMA fighter: Wai Kru Academy, Boston

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, killed in a firefight w/Boston area LEO
was profiled in a 2010 photo essay on MMA fighters,
shot by photographer, Johannes Hirm.

He trained at the Wai Kru MMA academy in Boston.

There are 15 photos of Tsarnaev in the photo essay, and comments
by him. They are haunting.

Here: http://johanneshirn.photoshelter.com/gallery/Will-Box-For-Passport/G0000VQW7v6xWA7o

or here: http://johanneshirn.photoshelter.com/ click on title Will Box for Passport

to be absolutely clear: I do not believe his hideous acts are in any way a result of, or connected to his
MMA/MA activity. Russia and Chechnya present a grave, twisted duality, each intensifying revenge
and violence.

In a strange and horrific situation, this is another strange, utterly unpredictable aspect
and I wanted to share with others here at MT.

I confess I thought of Bob H, as a professional photographer, with affection and concern.
Thinking of how this professional, Mr. Hirn must feel at this terrible time.

Such terrible acts - my deep sympathy for all Bostonians; my hope and belief they can help each other
grieve and recover; my respect to all those protecting others at the risk of their own
safety. Thinking w/sympathy of Carol and other MT folks in the area and all MT folks who have been
in danger and trouble.

No more tv or news for me today. I'll do what I can today - I'm on-call tonight. Overdosing on
televised ugliness makes me less able to see what is right in front of me and needs tending.

Sent my husband off early today for a MA seminar - w/extra x and o.

with deep gassho,

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, killed in a firefight w/Boston area LEO
was profiled in a 2010 photo essay on MMA fighters,
shot by photographer, Johannes Hirm.

He trained at the Wai Kru MMA academy in Boston.

There are 15 photos of Tsarnaev in the photo essay, and comments
by him. They are haunting.

Here: http://johanneshirn.photoshelter.com/gallery/Will-Box-For-Passport/G0000VQW7v6xWA7o

or here: http://johanneshirn.photoshelter.com/ click on title Will Box for Passport

to be absolutely clear: I do not believe his hideous acts are in any way a result of, or connected to his
MMA/MA activity. Russia and Chechnya present a grave, twisted duality, each intensifying revenge
and violence.

In a strange and horrific situation, this is another strange, utterly unpredictable aspect
and I wanted to share with others here at MT.

I confess I thought of Bob H, as a professional photographer, with affection and concern.
Thinking of how this professional, Mr. Hirn must feel at this terrible time.

Such terrible acts - my deep sympathy for all Bostonians; my hope and belief they can help each other
grieve and recover; my respect to all those protecting others at the risk of their own
safety. Thinking w/sympathy of Carol and other MT folks in the area and all MT folks who have been
in danger and trouble.

No more tv or news for me today. I'll do what I can today - I'm on-call tonight. Overdosing on
televised ugliness makes me less able to see what is right in front of me and needs tending.

Sent my husband off early today for a MA seminar - w/extra x and o.

with deep gassho,
Looks like the first link is down and the second has removed the header "Will box for passport."

OP
A

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I saved the photos:

Johannes Hirn

MY ACCOUNT
|
CART

[h=1]Will Box For Passport (15 images)[/h]
SlideshowDownload
email-icon.png

VIEW: 25 | ALL

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we probably need to ban MMA and boxing...or at least create a waiting period...and background checks, and limits on who can train in them...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, we probably need to ban MMA and boxing...or at least create a waiting period...and background checks, and limits on who can train in them...

What happened at the Boxer Rebellion again? Are all weapons equal, as I keep being told by those who love guns despite them being no more deadly than a palm heel strike?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting aedrasteia,

While I haven't seen the photo's I had heard he was a boxer who wanted to go to the olympics.

I completely understand the need to let go and refocus on the now, as in those that you can help now. Have you heard about W.I.N. ? It is a thought process started in the emergency medical fields for triage that Brian Willis has been exposing to law enforcement. It has started to move into many other fields as well and has been a powerful positive tool addition for professionals and non-professionals.

Regards
Brian King

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score

While I can see what you're trying to do with your statement, and I do agree in principle with the point you're trying to make, there are schools that require both criminal background checks and occasionally psychological evaluations before accepting a student.

I personally would not teach anyone half of the things I know if they showed any amount of unstable or violent behavior. While no one can argue that guns have a distinct advantage in range and lethality, considering one does not need to be strong to be lethal with the weapon (which is kind of the point of the weapon). However at close range, well trained fighters can cause a very painful death with various strikes.

Especially a system that teaches various common weapons and dangerous nerve strikes or limb destruction should NOT be taught to those who are obviously unstable or have a violent criminal background. However that is up to the instructor and the fact is that the instructor is responsible for their students. Which is how it should be.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to hear how martial arts made this guy violent. The media and ignorant people will inevitably claim this, and I'm sure they'll have some kind of BS statistics to back up their argument, even though we should all know that martial arts, when properly taught, have the opposite effect. Many violent people I know, including myself when I was younger, have learned self control from martial arts. It keeps many people out of trouble.
We'll see how it goes. But I bet Martial Arts may come under attack in the near future.

OP
A

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting aedrasteia,

Have you heard about W.I.N. ? It is a thought process started in the emergency medical fields for triage that Brian Willis has been exposing to law enforcement. It has started to move into many other fields as well and has been a powerful positive tool addition for professionals and non-professionals. Regards Brian King

Hey Brian always good to see your posts. Yes, I've read Brian Willis for a while - he's really something. I encounter LEOs from 11 different agencies over 4 counties and must try to work well w/all. I also occasionally did presentations to LEOs so I made
a big effort to learn as much as I could about their challenges. Willis really helped. The job is so hard.
This recent entry from Willis is right on target: http://www.policeone.com/police-jobs-and-careers/articles/3163142-How-do-questions-help-you/.

The quality and value of the questions asked of SA victims by LEOs was so wildly varied it made my head spin. I am often in the room when they are interviewed or write out their statements (I never speak directly to the victim during questioning) and I was really surprised at how some were so good and so many were really bad.

So many LEOs appeared to be severely trauma-affected themselves, still pushing on, badly burned out, stoic, personal lives blown up, marriages destroyed, very resistant to any kind of help, . Its painful to watch. the job is such a killer.

Latest Discussions