Boon Hae comparisom of WTF/ITF/Others

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just bumping this up as Im surprised theres been no comments on it and its a central point to this discussion!!
Either way is good!

Whilst doing some research on something different, I came across this passage that might prove interesting. I noted it particularly as it mentions "rising block"... its part of a piece written by Iain Abernethy (renowned kata bunkai exponent).. its from piece titled "A Brief History of Kata"

-------------------------------------
Itsou’s modifications resulted in huge changes in the way the art was taught. The emphasis was now placed firmly upon the development of physical fitness through the group practice of kata. The children would receive no instruction in the combative applications associated with the katas and deliberately misleading labels were adopted for the various techniques. Today, it is Itsou’s terminology that is most commonly used throughout the world and it is vital to understand why this terminology developed. When studying the combative applications of the katas remember that many of the names given to various movements have no link with the movement’s fighting application. Terms such as “Rising-block” or “Outer-block” stem from the watered down karate taught to Okinawan school children, and not the highly potent fighting art taught to the adults. When studying bunkai be sure that the label does not mislead you. Itsou’s changes also resulted in the teaching of kata without its applications. The traditional practice had been to learn the kata and then when it was of a sufficient standard (and the student had gained the master’s trust) the applications would then be taught. However, it now became the norm to teach the kata for its own sake and the applications may never be taught (as is sadly still the case in the majority of karate schools today).
--------------------------------------------------
Full article: http://www.iainabernethy.com/articles/article_19.asp

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, Stuart. I did not reply to your excerpt because I thought it was largely known information. You can still upset Shotokan people today with a mention of Itosu's 'schoolboy' karate. :) Of course the devil is in the details, karate (and taekwondo) can be taught very superficially as only a percussive striking art. But peel the onion skin a few layers down, and you'll find the good stuff. The advanced material depends of course on sound fundamentals and correct movement however, so the schoolboy approach is a good one, particularly if you are teaching large numbers of students. It's in small sessions with your instructor where these basics are refined and then melded into something decidedly more complete and deadly.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Stuart. I did not reply to your excerpt because I thought it was largely known information.
To some it is, to others it isnt and to many.. they just prefer to pretend they havnt heard the news yet!

You can still upset Shotokan people today with a mention of Itosu's 'schoolboy' karate. :)
I know.. and TKD folk like it even less.. feeling perhaps to admit it would be like having 'hand me downs' that were holey to begin with!

But peel the onion skin a few layers down, and you'll find the good stuff.
Well put.. I may have to use that anology one day!

Stuart

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can still upset Shotokan people today with a mention of Itosu's 'schoolboy' karate. :)

I have never understood why anyone gets upset about this—we have it documented in Itosu's own words. It would be like someone in the US getting upset about the fact that automobile production began first in Europe, not in America. It's just a fact. The documentation is there in both cases. Why linger in denial, if the facts are clear? Even the Japanese Shotokan karateka have begun to recognize the existence of these concealed layers of combat application under the surface form of their kata—Gennusuke Higaki's Hidden Karate, about the deeper fighting content of the Pinans and Naihanchi, came out just a couple of years ago, and talks extensively about all this stuff, and he's in Shozan Kubota's lineage. This is as core Shotokan as you can get...

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never understood why anyone gets upset about this—we have it documented in Itosu's own words.

I think they feel its a 'stain' on what they do.. as if saying that the last 20 years training are a waste or something.. when that is certainly not the case.. when you accept the facts, the art just becomes even better!

For higher grades, they simply dont like to admit they do not know it all.. I have seen this many a time - paper pedastals perhaps!

Stuart

Latest Discussions