Boon Hae comparisom of WTF/ITF/Others

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless you condition your hands and fingers (most don't), the spear hand strike has got to be one of the most unconvincing applications I see in kata or hyung.

In your Tae Geuk 4 example, Stuart, I believe the knife hand block is actually a close range knife hand strike to the neck area. The proceeding spear hand strike should be adapted into a clotheslining strike, leading to a take down.

If you want to get fancy and throw in the following move #6, just adapt the clothesline into something more circular, like the shihonage throw from aikido.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless you condition your hands and fingers (most don't), the spear hand strike has got to be one of the most unconvincing applications I see in kata or hyung.

I've always thought of these 'spearhand strikes' as nothing more than rotated palm heel strikes. The striking surface is the palm heel, not the finger tips. This is similar to bunkai I've seen for Pinan Shodan, which has a succession of such strikes mid-kata. In some contexts, a rotation of the palm to deliver the heel strike with the palm perpendicular to, rather than parallel with, the floor, seems to require a lot less pressure on the wrist to get the strikeing surface 'out there'.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it can be used that way Exile bit for the purpose of the thread it would be a spear hand and conditioning needs to be done to kill the nerves at the finger tips for this to happen.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I tried several times to word this post, so as not to anger or inflame folks, but it just is not going to happen. I fully realize the amount of study and effort put forth by Sjon and Stuart and others, but I'm affraid that it fails in it's intent.

Look at the given movement and directions of the offered forms/hyungs. Lets go to TG2 - The double rising or "high" blocks. Gen Choi's listing is correct, they are blocks for a downward strike or weapons attack. Do folks honestly think they can use that block against an incoming punch? Look at the body positioning firstly. You are standing up straight and then rising your arm. Common sense would dictate that if you attempted to use that block that you would let your body sink below the intended path of the incoming punch, not stand there at face level. Secondly, it takes longer to bring your arm fully up to that high block positioning then it does to do an outside middle block, which would be the vastly preferred action. Movements 13 and 14 which follow are turns (210 degrees and 180 degrees) into inside middle blocks. The flow of the given movements not only don't make sense for practical self defense, but don't even offer themselves to be something other than what they are. Folks like to invision what could be, but you have to proceed with what's been given. Anyone can alter and add to the given movements, but then the entire form/hyung has now been altered to suit what somebody wants, not what is. For a form/hyung to encapsulate real self defense aspects, they must be openly seen and practical, not self induced. An example of which would be TG4. The movements in question are practical self defense within themselves, which again Gen Choi presented. Outside middle knife hand block or just an on guard positioning, followed by a left hand inward palm block, then a finger tip thrust to either the solar plexus or the throat (my preference). IMO, the body positioning is to high for the sidekick block that the Gen. also refers to. The movements are what they are and you can readily see what they are and what their doing. Nothing needs to altered or revised.
Just my $0.02

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always thought of these 'spearhand strikes' as nothing more than rotated palm heel strikes. The striking surface is the palm heel, not the finger tips. This is similar to bunkai I've seen for Pinan Shodan, which has a succession of such strikes mid-kata. In some contexts, a rotation of the palm to deliver the heel strike with the palm perpendicular to, rather than parallel with, the floor, seems to require a lot less pressure on the wrist to get the strikeing surface 'out there'.

Many feel the same (including me), though it can be useable, but like I said, not from the same range as a punch, but from very close range more as a pushing strike as a precurser to something else.

In your Tae Geuk 4 example, Stuart, I believe the knife hand block is actually a close range knife hand strike to the neck area. The proceeding spear hand strike should be adapted into a clotheslining strike, leading to a take down.
Nice... a friend of mine uses it as a set up to a head butt. Remember, mine arnt actually based on the Taegueks, just similar moves in the Chang Hon patterns and because the before/after moves effect applications, they may be different and not fit as well becuase of it.

If you want to get fancy and throw in the following move #6, just adapt the clothesline into something more circular, like the shihonage throw from aikido.
Dam.. you think a lot like I do.

Stuart

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well regarding the rising blocks in TG2, basically the rising block actually, my instructor[more of senior but qualified coach, there's a main instructor] always uses a downward handmitt strike to help people position their rising blocks. So I guess yeah, it's more of a defense for downward strikes. I mean my natural response to punches are to hit it aside, or dodge it, not hit it upwards >_>

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

First of all thanks for getting in on this thread, the more the merrier. I take it your an ITF'er or practice the Ch'ang Hon patterns?!

I tried several times to word this post, so as not to anger or inflame folks, but it just is not going to happen. I fully realize the amount of study and effort put forth by Sjon and Stuart and others, but I'm affraid that it fails in it's intent.
By disagreeing you are not going to inflame me (or Simon/others I believe), disagreement creates questions & research and from that comes answers... so its all good. :) Though I disagree with the last part of course!

Look at the given movement and directions of the offered forms/hyungs. Lets go to TG2 - The double rising or "high" blocks. Gen Choi's listing is correct, they are blocks for a downward strike or weapons attack.
Downward attacks I agree with, though these are pretty rare in reality. And though I agree you could block a downward strike with a pole with one, in reality it would most likely break your arm and thus put you in a worse position anyway, and thus would only be a last resort/flynch type defence.

Do folks honestly think they can use that block against an incoming punch?
In the examples given, I believe it was the WTF applications that show that, however, Im pretty sure that given all the Chookyo makgis (rising blocks) in the chang hon patterns, theres a similar application given for it somewhere by Gen Choi.

The flow of the given movements not only don't make sense for practical self defense, but don't even offer themselves to be something other than what they are.
An application does not have to start at the beginning of one move and finish at the end of the last one, they do not even have to use all the moves involved. In the example given, move 13 could be the start of something entirely different.

Anyone can alter and add to the given movements but then the entire form/hyung has now been altered to suit what somebody wants, not what is.
The elbow break example I give uses the 2 rising blocks exactly how they are performed in Dan-Gun! Nothing is altered, even slightly

For a form/hyung to encapsulate real self defense aspects, they must be openly seen and practical, not self induced.
Thats a modern outlook (and a decent one) but based on the history of Kata (and thus patterns), its incorrect as the real intent isnt openly seen above and beyond p/k/b - as it is folly to let your enemy know what you know (thinking Japan/Okinawa here - but could be attributed to Japan/Korea also perhaps)

An example of which would be TG4. The movements in question are practical self defense within themselves, which again Gen Choi presented. Outside middle knife hand block or just an on guard positioning, followed by a left hand inward palm block, then a finger tip thrust to either the solar plexus or the throat (my preference).
Interesting that you say about not altering them, then you alter the height of the fingertip thrust to suit you!! (Though I agree with you that the throat is a better target area). Why have a knifehand guarding block as an on guard position, rather than hand up in front? Besides, you are refering to a stand-off fight, and thats different from self defence.. where on-guard positions are rarely of use. I could probibly strike hard targets with fingertips, as I've done near on 20 years conditioning on them (and yes i ahve done boards and tiles and wouldnt advise anyone to do them as the fingers are way to sensitive even after conditioning), however, Dancingalone makes the valid point that most students could not due to the lack of conditioning, making such a technique less viable, as to hit the solar plexus, in the heat of battle, with the fingertips would be extremely hard (as a long/mid range strike as shown in the books) and most likely either hit bone (ribs, hip etc) or a flailing arm.. both of which would damage the fingers, putting the defender at a further disadvantage.

IMO, the body positioning is to high for the sidekick block that the Gen. also refers to. The movements are what they are and you can readily see what they are and what their doing. Nothing needs to altered or revised.
Just my $0.02
Well, I wouldnt want to risk stopping a side kick with a knifehand block, thats for sure. The manuals often show them at full stretch (for the photos).. where as even in sparring, the distance is a lot closer as the attacker is actually trying to hit the body and the block is unlikely to work no matter what height (there are high section KH blocks in other patterns).

Stuart

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score

Look at the given movement and directions of the offered forms/hyungs. Lets go to TG2 - The double rising or "high" blocks. Gen Choi's listing is correct, they are blocks for a downward strike or weapons attack. Do folks honestly think they can use that block against an incoming punch? Look at the body positioning firstly. You are standing up straight and then rising your arm. Common sense would dictate that if you attempted to use that block that you would let your body sink below the intended path of the incoming punch, not stand there at face level. Secondly, it takes longer to bring your arm fully up to that high block positioning then it does to do an outside middle block, which would be the vastly preferred action. Movements 13 and 14 which follow are turns (210 degrees and 180 degrees) into inside middle blocks. The flow of the given movements not only don't make sense for practical self defense, but don't even offer themselves to be something other than what they are. Folks like to invision what could be, but you have to proceed with what's been given. Anyone can alter and add to the given movements, but then the entire form/hyung has now been altered to suit what somebody wants, not what is. For a form/hyung to encapsulate real self defense aspects, they must be openly seen and practical, not self induced. An example of which would be TG4. The movements in question are practical self defense within themselves, which again Gen Choi presented. Outside middle knife hand block or just an on guard positioning, followed by a left hand inward palm block, then a finger tip thrust to either the solar plexus or the throat (my preference). IMO, the body positioning is to high for the sidekick block that the Gen. also refers to. The movements are what they are and you can readily see what they are and what their doing. Nothing needs to altered or revised.
Just my $0.02

No offense intended. I think you were looking at my examples. In each case i showed what I'd often seen proposed which is the inferior application. I prefer the use of these blocks as either downard pinning techniques to a grab that then turn into strikes. I'm certainly not advocating highblocks to parry punches.

When i did Aikido, we often used similar tehcniqques against overhead attacks (usually for bokken or Jo). the object is not to stand still and receive the weapon attack on your arm, but to enter in quickly and attack the armholding the weapon and drive it up and back before it really gets going.

Peace,
Erik

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at the given movement and directions of the offered forms/hyungs. Lets go to TG2 - The double rising or "high" blocks. Gen Choi's listing is correct, they are blocks for a downward strike or weapons attack. Do folks honestly think they can use that block against an incoming punch? Look at the body positioning firstly. You are standing up straight and then rising your arm. Common sense would dictate that if you attempted to use that block that you would let your body sink below the intended path of the incoming punch, not stand there at face level. Secondly, it takes longer to bring your arm fully up to that high block positioning then it does to do an outside middle block, which would be the vastly preferred action.

Hi, Brad. I do believe the rising block can be used to defend a face punch; in fact it's often the most natural response. If you're standing with your hands down by your sides, you would have to raise your arm anyway to ward off a blow to your face. Might as well combine the upward motion and make it a block as well.

In my dojo, we occasionally practice a random punch/block drill among the advanced ranks where two partners take turns throwing a punch to the head or to the midsection, straight or hooking. It's up to the uke to defend himself with the correct instinctive block. Believe it or not, the rising block often arises spontaneously in response to a face or head attack.

Movements 13 and 14 which follow are turns (210 degrees and 180 degrees) into inside middle blocks. The flow of the given movements not only don't make sense for practical self defense, but don't even offer themselves to be something other than what they are. Folks like to invision what could be, but you have to proceed with what's been given. Anyone can alter and add to the given movements, but then the entire form/hyung has now been altered to suit what somebody wants, not what is. For a form/hyung to encapsulate real self defense aspects, they must be openly seen and practical, not self induced. An example of which would be TG4. The movements in question are practical self defense within themselves, which again Gen Choi presented. Outside middle knife hand block or just an on guard positioning, followed by a left hand inward palm block, then a finger tip thrust to either the solar plexus or the throat (my preference). IMO, the body positioning is to high for the sidekick block that the Gen. also refers to. The movements are what they are and you can readily see what they are and what their doing. Nothing needs to altered or revised.
Just my $0.02

One of the keys to kata I have been taught in Goju-ryu karate is to not be tricked by the embusen or layout of the pattern. Just because the choreography moves in a certain direction doesn't mean the actual application has to correspond as well. If you allow yourself to be constrained by the choreography, you'll be reducing the pattern to just a way of practicing your basics: kicking, punching, and blocking.

When I studied tae kwon do, we never did much pattern analysis, so this perspective is from Okinawan karate. Your mileage may vary, although from all the interest on this board about bunkai, I would think not.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Stuart.

I take it your an ITF'er or practice the Ch'ang Hon patterns?!
No, I've done the Taegueks since they've been introduced.

Downward attacks I agree with, though these are pretty rare in reality. And though I agree you could block a downward strike with a pole with one, in reality it would most likely break your arm and thus put you in a worse position anyway, and thus would only be a last resort/flynch type defence.

Just watching the TV show cops and other like shows, there have been more than their share of store clerks getting attacked by thugs, using that very same downward stike move, so in reality it's not pretty rare. Do you stand the chance of getting your arm broken with this block against an attacking object? If you don't use the correct angle of deflection, you will get your arm broken. Most folks don't know how to deliver this block correctly and thusly offer their arm straight across thier head. If done correctly, the arm is at a minimum of a 45 degree angle, which will allow the incoming object to produce more of a glancing blow instead of a full on decending blow. The arm will be bruised, but it should still be useable if done correctly. Additionally, the body positioning also comes into play, as when doing this block, the body is moving into the on coming attack, which negates a considerable amount of force from the attacker.

An application does not have to start at the beginning of one move and finish at the end of the last one, they do not even have to use all the moves involved. In the example given, move 13 could be the start of something entirely different.

Now this is the crux of my personal discord with foms/hyungs in general. A form is a given set of movements. Finding SD value should be based upon those given sets of movements, not what can be added, for any and everything can be added, but that's not what the given assessment should be based on. Looking at biomachanics of a given movement, it should interface with the next movement in a practical fashion. As stated, anything can be added, but the real question should be..........does it have to be added. If as this thread dictates, additions are the true source of what's being defined, then should not the body positioning be intuned with what is going to be added? If I not only have to add additional techniques but now I must also include secondary body positions to effect this techniques correctly, why not just openly add them to the core of the form/hyung and be done with all this rhetoric.

The elbow break example I give uses the 2 rising blocks exactly how they are performed in Dan-Gun! Nothing is altered, even slightly

That may be fine for Dan-Gun but the examples in question were for TaeGueks.

Thats a modern outlook (and a decent one) but based on the history of Kata (and thus patterns), its incorrect as the real intent isnt openly seen above and beyond p/k/b - as it is folly to let your enemy know what you know (thinking Japan/Okinawa here - but could be attributed to Japan/Korea also perhaps)

Perhaps this is the real crux of the problem/situation. We've been handed this story of secret meanings because the arts were outlawed at some point in time, so practicioners had to disguise what they were doing. Now going with this premise, wouldn't you think that the folks that forbad the practice of the arts, could not see thru the facade of make believe training? These folks were also schooled in the arts, so it would make sense that they would know what to look for, wouldn't it? It also makes sense that if folks did have this ban over their heads, that they would practice in secret, without being observed, so there would be no need to disguise what they were doing.

Interesting that you say about not altering them, then you alter the height of the fingertip thrust to suit you!!

Nothing was altered, the attacking point preference was changed, not the movement and added nothing else to it. I referenced Gen. Choi's position of the solar plexus, because the movement is the same, but solar plexus was not the target area I was taught. In truth, finger tip strikes are meant for soft tissue, so eyes and throat would be the prime areas anyway.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now this is the crux of my personal discord with foms/hyungs in general. A form is a given set of movements. Finding SD value should be based upon those given sets of movements, not what can be added, for any and everything can be added, but that's not what the given assessment should be based on. Looking at biomachanics of a given movement, it should interface with the next movement in a practical fashion. As stated, anything can be added, but the real question should be..........does it have to be added. If as this thread dictates, additions are the true source of what's being defined, then should not the body positioning be intuned with what is going to be added? If I not only have to add additional techniques but now I must also include secondary body positions to effect this techniques correctly, why not just openly add them to the core of the form/hyung and be done with all this rhetoric.

This is an excellent point, however I would propose that while forms are a set of prescrtibed movements...they are also a form of training shorthand. Perhaps this is an artefact of the need for training to be accessible to people who did not have ready access to books, librarires, computers or the internet. In fact, I would go so far as to say that much of ancient martial tradition (prior to the late 19th century for example) had to be taught to people who may not be literate. If they were, they didn't have books, scrolls reeadily availabel to transmit knowledge.

I think there is a lot of truth to the idea of forms as fighting style encylcopedia. If that is the case, then the idea that various moves may have multiple interpretations makes more sense. the need to understand the method of analyses even more so to "unlock" the moves even more so.

Should this be the case with an art that was developed in th4e last 60 years? Not necesarily, but since TKD is drawing heavily on the idea of ancient traditions...I can see how things have progressed to where they are at today.

So, whiel it would be nice to be more explicit with the apllications in forms...i don't think that's what we have with the bulk of the Okinawan/Japanese/Korean forms available to us today.

Peace,
Erik

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
A pleasure.

No, I've done the Taegueks since they've been introduced./quote]
Interesting... from your Gen Choi app remarks I thought perhaps you were ITF.. obviously not - nice!

Just watching the TV show cops and other like shows, there have been more than their share of store clerks getting attacked by thugs, using that very same downward stike move, so in reality it's not pretty rare.
I do understand your point, and its a good one. I never liked the block often taught with Chookyo makgi against a downward knife attack, as this attack was really confined to 'physco the movie'... until i saw the 'Stephen Lawrance' video, which show a group of thugs fooling about with machetes in the same manner (claiming this is how they'd attack some one) - it reconfigured my thoughts on the matter. I still dont think the block is that viable for a weapon block, more so a long weapon (pole, baseball bat etc.).. that said, as I said in my other post, I agree it can be used in this manner. Having blocked a pole in training a couple of times, I can pretty much testify it hurts like hell and is not something I'd want to do with a full power blow trying to take my head off!

Most folks don't know how to deliver this block correctly and thusly offer their arm straight across thier head. If done correctly, the arm is at a minimum of a 45 degree angle, which will allow the incoming object to produce more of a glancing blow instead of a full on decending blow.
They dont!! The ITF teach this as standard.. however, it still hurts like hell. However, not sure if you`ve read my book or not but theres some old principles in ITF called fire and water prnciples.. the water one goes with the flow and the block doesnt go solid and this is the best way to employ such a block against a solid weapon IMO.

Additionally, the body positioning also comes into play, as when doing this block, the body is moving into the on coming attack, which negates a considerable amount of force from the attacker.
Another point I made in the book.. however, moving into a weapon attack not only takes guts, but a considerable amount of training.. something a yellow belt (the level of this pattern) doesnt have.

Now this is the crux of my personal discord with foms/hyungs in general. A form is a given set of movements. Finding SD value should be based upon those given sets of movements, not what can be added, for any and everything can be added, but that's not what the given assessment should be based on. Looking at biomachanics of a given movement, it should interface with the next movement in a practical fashion.
I agree.. but kata research has shown this is often not the case, so it stands to reason as Korean forms are related heavily to japanese ones, it is not the either - though Id very much like it to be.

As stated, anything can be added, but the real question should be..........does it have to be added. If as this thread dictates, additions are the true source of what's being defined
I dont understand this bit.. whats been added? The applications I refer to add nothing and work exactly as they are perfromed in solo patterns!!

That may be fine for Dan-Gun but the examples in question were for TaeGueks.
Which are performed in exactly the same manner as those in dan-Gun.. two blocks & two steps!!

Perhaps this is the real crux of the problem/situation. We've been handed this story of secret meanings because the arts were outlawed at some point in time, so practicioners had to disguise what they were doing. Now going with this premise, wouldn't you think that the folks that forbad the practice of the arts, could not see thru the facade of make believe training?
No.. as to drive a car, you first have to know what a car is.. or else it still looks like a bike with an engine & doors and thus treated as such!

These folks were also schooled in the arts, so it would make sense that they would know what to look for, wouldn't it?
You would have thought so, but in that era, questioning the masters was frowned upon, as was cross training.. coupled with limited books (if they could be obtained), illiteracy (as Bluekey has noted - good point btw) and not internet connection.. its less likely they would be researched or if they were, shared in any great abundance. There were small pockets of these people for sure, even within TKD, but as a whole.. I find it unlikely.

It also makes sense that if folks did have this ban over their heads, that they would practice in secret, without being observed, so there would be no need to disguise what they were doing.
We are talking pre-karate now right - there is findings that this was indeed the case!

Nothing was altered, the attacking point preference was changed, not the movement and added nothing else to it. I referenced Gen. Choi's position of the solar plexus, because the movement is the same, but solar plexus was not the target area I was taught. In truth, finger tip strikes are meant for soft tissue, so eyes and throat would be the prime areas anyway.
Fair enough.. my thoughts were upon the assumption that you were ITF, so thats a fair point.

Regards,

Stuart

Ps. You might wanna quote things or put them in Itallics (use the advance editor) to seperate your points from the ones your responding to.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Number 1: Taken from Taeguek Yi jang 2
http://www.blackbeltcollege.com/Taeguek.Ee.Jang.jpg
Moves: 11 & 12

A1 (Kukkikwon Wed Site): Based on the shown applications on the WTF Website listed as (move 13 instead of 11/12) the rising block blocks a straight punch/high.

A2 (Kukkikwon Text book): When the opponet delivers an Olguljireugi, one performs an Olgulmakki, One inflicts a counterattack by an apchagi and, pursuing the opponet and then delivers a monitoring Bandaemakki.

B (Gen Choi Ency): Found in ITF pattern, Dan-Gun. Application shown to block a downward knifehand strike as well as a downward strike with a pole

C (Simon O&#8217;Neill/Taeguek Cipher): Attacker pushes you up against a wall with both hands. Bring your left forearm over the top of his arms, slam it down into the crooks of his elbows then immediately drive upwards under his jaw. Push off with back foot and thrust forwards, striking the jaw again with the second rising forearm. Finish by underhooking his left arm with your right, gripping the back of his neck with your left, turning 270º ACW and driving him head first into the wall.

D (Stuart Anslow/TKD Hae Sul book): Both used together as an elbow break (from a head grab) or a shoulder lock

E (Applications from masters/high ranks): Patrick McCarthy (6th degree ITF + BB in other arts/40+ years experience) teaches this similar to my application (elbow break) but as a shoulder dislocation technique.

F (Other view/opinions/learnings): Eric (Bluekey88):
the kbp applicatino is two block parrying high level punches to the face. the more in depth analyuses (pretty much what Mr. O'neil writes) could be using the chamber hand of the first high block to pin the arms of an attacker doing a lapel grab while executing a forearm strike to the throat/chin. doing this again, swithcing handsz, the adding the next move...the 270 turn into an inside block could be a transition into a standing arm bar or head strike/throw.

Cool thread! My own take on your basic "high block/olgul makki/sangdan makki": How about the crossing (i.e. non-blocking) hand parries the attacker's punch, then grabbing with that same hand while pulling it in so now the attacker's elbow is supinated. The "block" now becomes an elbow break or a forearm strike underneath to the armpit of the attacker.

Oops! Just noticed that Patrick McCarthy has same or similar of interpretation.

Last edited:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Number 2: Taken from Taeguek 7 (I think)
http://www.northwest-taekwondo.co.uk/downloads/tk7.jpg
Moves: 4,5 & 6

A1 (Kukkikwon Wed Site): Based on the shown applications on the WTF Website (2,3 & 4) Move #5 Defends against a right punch, and follows (#6) with a front snap kick to stomach. Move #7 then blocks against a left punch.

A2 (Kukkikwon Text book): Defends by a nulomakki, drawspulling, and delivers a pyonsonkkeut sewotzireugi, When the opponet delivers a montong barojireugi consecultively

B (Gen Choi Ency): AFAIK, apart from the inward block (move 4) and a front kick, the ITF does not have a combination of this type that I can think of. The low knifehand performed in that way isn’t in any of the ITF patterns up to 4th degree (though I could be wrong lol)

C (Simon O’Neill/Taeguek Cipher): Double lapel grab, sit weight back into cat stance and strike the outside of the attacker?s right arm just above or below the elbow with the heel of the left hand, securing his hand with the right hand. This will make him turn inwards, allowing you to attack the outside of his right knee with a forward stamping kick. Meanwhile, locate his right wrist with the left hand and his right elbow with the right hand, and perform a backward arm throw using the forearm block motion as you fall back into cat stance after the kick

D (Stuart Anslow/TKD Hae Sul book): At first glance I would say 5,6 & 7 looks like a combination as opposed to 4, 5 & 6 (the randomly selected ones above); with the downward knifehand (#4) a release from a clothing grab (ie. Strike to the PPs on the arm), followed by a front kick or knee (depending on distance) and finished with a downward elbow strike to the back of the now bent over opponent)

E (Applications from masters/high ranks):

F (Other view/opinions/learnings):Eric (Bluekey88): the kbp analyses could be pulling back into tiger stance and parrying punch with an inside block...turning and parrying a punch from another attacker and then kicking them. Again, less than satisfactory...perhaps a better application is again from some sort of grab to the left side of my body. I could secure the offending limb with my right hand (chamber) whiel executing a hammer fist strik to the side of the head/neck. Grabbing the offending limb with my left hand I could turn and execute an arm-bar takedown as I turn 180...then knee or kick the now bent over attacker in the face.

My take is similar to Simon's though it is defense against single hand lapel grab: attacker grabs defender's left lapel with right hand. Defender's "inside middle block" is actually a strike to attacker's elbow. The transition is a take-down with the "inside palm block" simply showing where you end the technique/movement so you can kick the attacker in the head.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taeguek #4. Attacker has grabbed my right wrist from the underside with his left hand. My "knife hand block" is to straighten out his arm so that my simultaneous nullo makki/pressing block is where I use my right hand to now grab his left. The "spear hand" is my left hand looping through his bent arm and effecting a come-along. I've moved behind him and my right hand has his left arm pinned behind him and my left hand has secured my position so he can't pivot around me.

BTW, off topic but the Red Wings just hung on to beat the St. Louis Blues-go Wings! (hey, I'm from Detroit where there is not much else to cheer about! :)

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Hello Brad.

I’ve been offline for a couple of days and haven’t had chance to reply before. I appreciate your comments and don’t feel in the least offended.

Look at the given movement and directions of the offered forms/hyungs. Lets go to TG2 - The double rising or "high" blocks. Gen Choi's listing is correct, they are blocks for a downward strike or weapons attack. Do folks honestly think they can use that block against an incoming punch? Look at the body positioning firstly. You are standing up straight and then rising your arm. Common sense would dictate that if you attempted to use that block that you would let your body sink below the intended path of the incoming punch, not stand there at face level. Secondly, it takes longer to bring your arm fully up to that high block positioning then it does to do an outside middle block, which would be the vastly preferred action.

Regarding the rising block, I agree that it is not the most efficient way to parry a high punch, but I recognise that it certainly can be made to work as such. I also agree that it could be used to defend against an overhead strike, although I don’t think that this is the most efficient way of doing so.
You state categorically that General Choi’s listing of these moves as defences against overhead strikes is correct (presumably as evidence for your prior statement that Stuart’s and my books fail in their intent). Well, there are various ways of looking at that, all of which have already been addressed on this thread: (a) everything a particular master says is true and must not be questioned (b) the master in question may not have known the real application but decided to include the sequence because he suspected there was something more to those Okinawan forms than met the eye (c) the master in question had other intentions but chose not to make them known to the general public.

Movements 13 and 14 which follow are turns (210 degrees and 180 degrees) into inside middle blocks. The flow of the given movements not only don't make sense for practical self defense, but don't even offer themselves to be something other than what they are. Folks like to invision what could be, but you have to proceed with what's been given. Anyone can alter and add to the given movements, but then the entire form/hyung has now been altered to suit what somebody wants, not what is. For a form/hyung to encapsulate real self defense aspects, they must be openly seen and practical, not self induced.
An example of which would be TG4. The movements in question are practical self defense within themselves, which again Gen Choi presented. Outside middle knife hand block or just an on guard positioning, followed by a left hand inward palm block, then a finger tip thrust to either the solar plexus or the throat (my preference). IMO, the body positioning is to high for the sidekick block that the Gen. also refers to. The movements are what they are and you can readily see what they are and what their doing. Nothing needs to altered or revised.
Just my $0.02

Again, must we accept that this is so just because you categorically state it? I agree that the movements do not make sense for self-defence when interpreted as K/B/P. I disagree that they do not offer themselves for something else – to me it’s very clear. I also disagree that for a form to be practical it must be obvious what it’s doing. Once more, I ask why? Because you say so? Because Choi said so? Are you absolutely confident of Choi’s motivations? I am certainly not convinced by the explanation that you offer for the T4C sequence as an illustration of your argument.
Who has added or modified movements? The examples I gave use exactly the same movements as in the poomse. In my book, the only “alterations” I make are (a) chambering on the inside or outside of the “non-blocking” hand (the big orgs change this from time to time themselves), and (b) applying front snap kicks as knee strikes, thrusts and stamps as well as snap kicks. All the rest is the same – stances, steps, turns, arm movements. As I recall, Stuart’s book is even closer than mine to the exact movements of his respective patterns.

To me, it’s all summed up in this question: If the early masters, who were presumably more than passingly familiar with actual violence, weren’t intending some other than K/B/P for those apparently impractical pattern sequences, then why the hell did they bother composing them?

Cheers,

Simon

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Stuart :asian:

In the larger scheme of things, what I think really dosen't matter. What this thread is showing is that it's a conformation of both yours and SJON's work. As I stated in my first posting, I applaud you both for your time and efforts. I offered my rational for the subject matter and even used one of your given references (Gen Choi) as to what the actions are/were and now even that's being brought into question as a rebuttal. Suffice to say that we do not see eye to eye on this subject and most likely never will. To me, what you are promoting is the free for all of what could be instead of what should be. I'll use this analogy. Open a book and the first page discribes what the book is about. Turn the page and there's only one sentance, "write the rest for yourself". To my way of thinking, I need a certain amount of substance to validate movements within a kata/hyung, before entertaining the prospects of what can this be. Also as stated prior, anything and everything can be offered because, there seems to be the blank page and it's up to the individual to interperet what's missing. I just have a difficult time accepting the Taegueks as anything thing more than what they are, a basic P/K/B platform for training. There's one big consideration that my have been overlooked thruout all these discussions and that is the fact that the powers that be, have deemed TKD a sport. Changes in the hyungs have coinsided with the sport mindset and applications for driving TKD to sports status. I doubt very seriously that those that formulated the Taegueks had anything more in mind than that simple training platform of P/K/B, for that all you see in the sports arena.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the larger scheme of things, what I think really dosen't matter.
All voices matter in a debate like this, all sides of the dicussion.

What this thread is showing is that it's a conformation of both yours and SJON's work.
No, not really.. I know Simon is genuinely interest to see how much merit his research carries inline with the founders of the Taegueks.. I also belive he is open to any/all that coems his way regarding them. Myself, I am too, though in regards to the Ch'ang Hon system, as thats my patterns.

Suffice to say that we do not see eye to eye on this subject and most likely never will.
That doesnt mean we cant discuss the various positions & options though!

To me, what you are promoting is the free for all of what could be instead of what should be.
I dont believe thats the case, both Simon and myself did a lot of research before forming our opinions... as well as when writting the books (I know I did and Im presuming Simon did as well).. I think we both look at it as making something more the sum of its parts, both sides of the coin can be easily trained, but we give a second option on things, whereas before there was none (as a general, thing)

There's one big consideration that my have been overlooked thruout all these discussions and that is the fact that the powers that be, have deemed TKD a sport.
As I have said, my side of things is all based on the Ch'ang Hon forms, I know very little about WTF stuff, and though ITF have become a little more sporty as well, the art as a whole has had a major shift in focus to sport.

I doubt very seriously that those that formulated the Taegueks had anything more in mind than that simple training platform of P/K/B, for that all you see in the sports arena.
Thats a very good point you make, Ill leave a response to those that know more of KKW/WTF history to discuss it further.

cheers,

Stuart

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I doubt very seriously that those that formulated the Taegueks had anything more in mind than that simple training platform of P/K/B, for that all you see in the sports arena.

That has been my opinion also, but I'm open to any new info from the WTF admin that suggests otherwise. In any case, even if the form may not have been designed with more applications that the obvious ones, it doesn't mean one can't use the Tae Geuks for teaching and practicing 'deeper' applications. After all, I only read the "Lord of the Rings" as an adventure story, but some universities devote entire classes to it as a serious work of literature.

OP
S

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whilst doing some research on something different, I came across this passage that might prove interesting. I noted it particularly as it mentions "rising block"... its part of a piece written by Iain Abernethy (renowned kata bunkai exponent).. its from piece titled "A Brief History of Kata"

-------------------------------------
Itsou&#8217;s modifications resulted in huge changes in the way the art was taught. The emphasis was now placed firmly upon the development of physical fitness through the group practice of kata. The children would receive no instruction in the combative applications associated with the katas and deliberately misleading labels were adopted for the various techniques. Today, it is Itsou&#8217;s terminology that is most commonly used throughout the world and it is vital to understand why this terminology developed. When studying the combative applications of the katas remember that many of the names given to various movements have no link with the movement&#8217;s fighting application. Terms such as &#8220;Rising-block&#8221; or &#8220;Outer-block&#8221; stem from the watered down karate taught to Okinawan school children, and not the highly potent fighting art taught to the adults. When studying bunkai be sure that the label does not mislead you. Itsou&#8217;s changes also resulted in the teaching of kata without its applications. The traditional practice had been to learn the kata and then when it was of a sufficient standard (and the student had gained the master&#8217;s trust) the applications would then be taught. However, it now became the norm to teach the kata for its own sake and the applications may never be taught (as is sadly still the case in the majority of karate schools today).
--------------------------------------------------
Full article: http://www.iainabernethy.com/articles/article_19.asp

Latest Discussions