Bong gerk vs Tan gerk

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, first let me say that we're probably speaking on the edges of my expertise as well. I understand these 3 kicks relate to a tri-pole set that I don't formally know. I've been told some of these things by someone very senior in my lineage, but I don't want to quote him because I might misrepresent something and wouldn't want it attributed to him.

I will also caveat that I don't speak Cantonese either and I don't mean to get caught up in the words too much, which I was avoiding in response to the video too. It's about the training and the application in the end.

That said, yes "barring leg". The difference in application for me is intent. Lan is a bridge, a cover, might have some turning, but is fairly rigid. Tan gerk has much more circular expression and whipping power is generated from the hips. It can cover, but it can also function as a kick, usually to the inside of a knee or inner thigh. In a still photo, they might look the same, but how you perform them and what you intend to do with them is very different.

So, to the OP. The differences in tan and bong gerk are much greater than where your knee is pointed in my mind. The similarities between bong gerk and what I was taught is lan gerk. I practice and use tan gerk very differently.

Again, I'm at the fringes of my comfort-ability of linguistic expertise here. I can't confidently defend my terms, but in training, I feel I have these things pretty straight. This is just how I understand them and one of the reasons I'm here is to challenge my own understanding of this system.

Interested in your thoughts as well.

OP
Kwan Sau

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I understand these 3 kicks relate to a tri-pole set....

Ok, so how about the orientation of your foot during the execution of Tan gerk, Bong gerk, & Lan gerk. Is it constant or changing? Or, like you and others have mentioned, it isnt positioning that matters per se...just intent(?)

For what its worth I too dont parlay the language...and I can use the leg arsenal of wing chun just fine... I'm just curious about these two kicks, how they are shaped, and named, in others' wing chun.

Thanks!

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, see, linguistics again. Words will be our ultimate undoing.

I get the curiosity, I do it too. Not sure I can articulate anything further on these movements, though. Hopefully someone else can step in and pick the conversation up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Not sure I can articulate anything further on these movements, though. Hopefully someone else can step in and pick the conversation up.

Be careful what you wish for!
https://kristaopettaa.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/humpty-dumpty.jpg?w=540

Anyway, if you are good enough (and I'm not) almost anything you can do with your hands can be done with your legs and feet. So if you have chain punching, pak sau, tan sau, bong sau, lan sau, gum sau and so on, it follows that you will often have something analogous with the feet and legs ...whatever you call it.

About the only limitation is that, unless you have a stout tail like a kangaroo, you need to only work one leg at a time since you need the other to stand on. Me, I want that tail!:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/kangaroo-boxing.jpg

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
kangaroo-boxing.jpg

but isn't that against the marquess de queensberry rules?

Latest Discussions