body type vs wing chun

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun'sis a light style, it doesnt revolve around strenght, but skill, tecnique and speed...
Would wing chun practiced by a big guy like me be a waste of potential then? I'm int omuay thai but i asked hypotetically... i think ill become proficient in MT way sooner than in wing chun.
I'm 1.83 m high, hovering about 95 kg, i have a mesomorph with tendency toward endomorph bod ytype, and i am not 100% buffed... theres a lil(more) weight i need to get rid of.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WC doesn't negate or cancel out physical advantages like strength or size, its just not built on those attributes.

As a bigger guy learning WC, you might have to adjust things, would maybe be challenged to relax more, and work harder toward flexibility than many smaller frame people have to. That said, to paraphrase what my sifu told me (since I am a bigger guy too), once you develop that sensitivity and springiness that comes from training WC, you are even more of a threat because now you can deal with others who are big by being relaxed than they are, but have more force behind it when needed.

If you don't want to be challenged that way, and WANT to rely on your strength / size in learning to fight, then maybe something like MT, boxing, or even something eclectic like Krav Maga would be a more satisfying art.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun'sis a light style, it doesnt revolve around strenght, but skill, tecnique and speed...
Would wing chun practiced by a big guy like me be a waste of potential then? I'm int omuay thai but i asked hypotetically... i think ill become proficient in MT way sooner than in wing chun.
I'm 1.83 m high, hovering about 95 kg, i have a mesomorph with tendency toward endomorph bod ytype, and i am not 100% buffed... theres a lil(more) weight i need to get rid of.
Look you obviously want to do Muay Thai so just go and do Muay Thai

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun will work for big strong people as well. MT seems to work pretty well for smaller people too.

You probably will reach a base level of competence faster with MT than you will with Wing Chun.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as big guys go Leung Sheung seemed to do pretty well for himself.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is also a difference between perceived ability and actual ability. And it depends on your training.

If you dont,for example spar with contact. faster guys are advantaged. If you do then strength and mass factor in a lot more.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm like 1.55m and 122kg. Never had any problems learning Wing Chun technique. See guys much bigger than me doing it well. You'll be fine.

Latest Discussions