body piercing and karate

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go Train ,learn and have fun. If you really want the belly ring go for it , if your not sure about it COLOR=crimson]wait[/COLOR] on it.
Do not confuse the two issues.
We all would love to here how your training is going the other issue is personal and up to you if you inform us on the outcome.
Best wishes at your new school, I'm sure you will injoy it.
Shadow:asian:

T

theneuhauser

can't you just take it out for class? if so, then i would say do it!!! prince alberts should be considered a no no though.

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do have my heart set on karate. I don't have my heart into the belly ring. My friend is getting her belly ring without me and I will be joining karate alone. I think I'll be happier .

T

theneuhauser

that a girl!!! now go get em!
best wishes on your journey.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got a navel ring. I love it and haven't ever regretted it for a second. I've had it for over six years. It has never once interfered with my training after it was done healing (about six weeks) I've had, well, lets just say more than five body piercings. The navel ring is the only one I still have at the moment, but I'm considering getting another piercing.

Before piercing:

Find a really good piercer (if you're anywhere near Los Angeles or Orange County, email me about this). Talk to them. Explain what you want. Choose your jewelry carefully and make sure you pick something you like, but listen to the piercer's recommendations. Never, ever pierce with anything other than stainless steel or titanium. Anything else can really irritate skin and cause allergic reactions. (the pierce with gold only thing is a myth. most gold is alloyed (mixed) with nickel, which will usually cause a new piercing to have an allergic reaction to the jewelry and start to reject). Make sure the jewelry and the tools come out of a sealed autoclave bag, and the needle is new. A good piercer will show you this without being asked. If they don't, get up and leave. When the piercer tells you when to breathe, listen to them. It hurts less. And it will hurt, but its really quick. by the time you think "$@!#, that hurt!" its over and is just a little tender. Bring some juice with you to drink after because you might get dizzy. I've needed juice or something to eat or drink after all my piercings. The adrenaline somehow makes your bloodsugar drop.

While its healing:

Do everything your piercer tells you to do. Clean it at least twice a day, and other than that, paws off. don't touch it, pick at it or turn it. when you turn it, you rip away at the healing. Dial soap and salt soaks are a good thing! Easiest way to salt soak is get a shot glass, fill it with about 1/2 an inch of salt (magnesium salt that you can get in the grocery store's pharmacy section, not table salt, and not perfumed bath salt either), and the rest of the way with warm water. bend over, put the glass on the piercing, and stand up, holding the glass to your stomach. Then sit down and watch TV for fifteen minutes or so. and rinse well. Salt works wonders to prevent infection, and its a must do if you're working out and sweating.

Wear a bandage over it in karate only. the ring will want to lay to one side, so make sure you put it to opposite sides each day, so it will heal straight. outside of karate, wear low rise jeans and short or loose tops until its healed. you don't want to irritate it.

don't spar. and don't let anyone hit you in the stomach. It probably won't damage the piercing, but it will hurt like heck. wear a chest protector if you must have contact during this time. After about two weeks, it won't really hurt anymore, though.

If you discover that your gi pants elastic bothers you, get a drawstring gi and tie it below the piercing. This is the kind I wear, and its never been a problem.

After its done healing:

do everything the same way you normally would. I don't take any dprecautions, and have never needed to. Just make sure that in the studio you're wearing a ring and not a barbell or bananabell (curved barbell). Barbells catch on things. Rings don't, unless something manages to get hooked inside, which, under your gi, is highly unlikely.

Best of luck! Email me and let me know how it goes!

-Nightingale

[email protected]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
In my experience, women tend to wear nearly everything lower than men, especially younger women... And from the women I have had the wonderful opportunity of training with, their pants rode well below their navel.

With the exception of some new jean styles many women will wear their pants with the beltline above the navel. While men tend to wear them down under the navel.

No word of a lie. I spent an entire day once watching people walk by me downtown with a clip board keeping track of who did what as they walked by.

I'm a loser...but I'm well informed.
:rolleyes:

M

meni

Originally posted by Yiliquan1

The purpose for the belt is to teach you proper breathing. It should be tied, snugly, just a few inches below the navel. If you are exhaling properly, the knot should bob with each exhalation.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how your training goes.

Gambarimasu.

Are you sure about this as far as I know the reason for the belt and specifically in the old time was to hold your pants!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by meni

Are you sure about this as far as I know the reason for the belt and specifically in the old time was to hold your pants!

I get a kick out of how quickly folks use cliches to respond to things...

When you put on a karate or judo uniform's pants, what do you use to secure the pants around your waist? A drawstring, right? So, do you think that is a modification of modern times, or perhaps something that has always been there...

The classical obi worn with kimono and other variations of the garment was worn to keep the pants/shirt/jacket secured. There were several layers of drawstrings connecting various layers to themselves in addition to the obi.

The use of the belt for martial purposes is to train the breathing. Period.

C

CraneWings

I've had a Belly ring for 5 years and I've never had a problem. Just wear your pants low and tuck your t-shirt into your pants and it'll feel fine. But you shouldn't have to get a belly ring just so your friend will go. She'll only go if she really wants to.

C

CraneWings

You know, Kempo is really great and really fun. I am sorry that you have heard bad things about it, but don't listen to those bad things. There is a sort of war between Kenpo and Kempo people, so they bash eachother. But Kempo really is great, so have fun with it.

S

Shinobi

What about earrings, nipple piercings, and eyebrow piercings? I'm interested in finding out about these. I'd think maybe barbells in nips and the brow would keep them from tearing out? Earrings is tough, unless it's those regular studs that go in, or if they're stretched like mine, plugs inside them?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most times body piercing is just a cry for attention. Tell your friend that your inner and outer beauty are enough. Ever see one of those kids driving around in that little cheap car with all the expensive chrome accessories. You know, the one that needs a muffler and can't outrun the soccer mom in her minivan? Same thing with most piercings. If you have a fine machine, that in itself will demand attention from those who can appreciate your will and are not shallow themselves.

I do not allow earrings while sparring in my school period. Seen some pin punctures in behind the lobe area of the neck. Potentially dangerous. I have a student (teen male) who has a new piercing in his ear that must stay in for four weeks. No sparring for four weeks for him. He understands why. Navel piercing, with all the torso shots, is not wise in a contact Martial Art. Tears can happen.

Check with the Instructor of the school you will be attending. That would be a good idea before making a commitment.

white belt

K

Katie Simmons

Originally posted by CraneWings
I've had a Belly ring for 5 years and I've never had a problem.

Really? I must be totally unlucky because I got my navel pierced about a year ago and promptly had it ripped out by a sparring partner (not intentionally; it was just a side kick that rode up). It was ugly. Lots of blood, eventually a scar. Now I err on the side of caution. I haven't gotten any piercings since and I make damn sure I take out all body jewelry prior to class. You know, just in case.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have to worry about piercings before class...I get pierced during class ;)

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Safety gears made for a reason...while not intended to protect certain pierced parts, I'm sure the use would also help protect such things. Pre-class removal is also a wise choice.

For those in the 'healing' stages, it might be wise to just not spar.

Having had a couple of earings ripped outta my head I've tended to remove em before any physical activities.

And guys, if ya have a "prince albert" you should probably always wear that cup. :rofl:

:asian:

T

TKDman

Save the drama if she does not want to do it in the first place why get a belly ring just so she will come? When you get into the higher ranks your desire to progress must increase. You have to really want to learn the art. Nuff Sed.

J

Jill666

LOL @ Kaith...

I take off all the jewelery, and haven't got a belly ring. My training partner has a tongue ring. Nobody else has body piercings in my dojo (other than ears). Although I wouldn't know if they have Prince Alberts- but cups are required :D

However, I did have a tattoo on my lower back right at belt level and it sucked while it healed. Usually if someone gets a new tattoo we do the first0timers ritual of slapping it...:boing1:

Latest Discussions