body piercing and karate

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As some of you know, I'll be starting kempo karate in a few weeks. My question is... My friend will join with me if I get a belly ring with her. I wonder will the waistband of the gi rubbing and moving while I do my routines irritate my skin and cause an infection of will it not bother it. If it will I'll join karate without her and forget the belly ring.

D

Despairbear

I have a vairity of peicrings (7) the only consern I would have is if you have and facial peircings, they can be torn out rather easy. If the the peircing is well healed there should be no problem you could probably also use some medical tape to cover the peircing if you felt it woudl be nessisary.

Despair Bear

K

Kirk

Originally posted by rachel

As some of you know, I'll be starting kempo karate in a few weeks. My question is... My friend will join with me if I get a belly ring with her. I wonder will the waistband of the gi rubbing and moving while I do my routines irritate my skin and cause an infection of will it not bother it. If it will I'll join karate without her and forget the belly ring.

I guess you could wear a bandaid over it while you're workin' out,
but consider how long your friend will stay involved. There's a
TON of people that drop out within a few short months, so you
have to worry about yourself and your own goals in the matter
of your taking up an M.A. I guess pretty much is the same for
the belly ring. If you get one, it should be because YOU want one.
Even though they're sexy as hell :D

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They do look sexy. I've never gotten one before and I am leery of the needle but I think I'd rather do karate. Her heart really isn't in the Karate. I'm pretty much dragging her.We'll see.:)

K

kenposcum

I'm not sure I understand. Is this a kid of yours or something?
Is this an argument of Karate vs. body piercing? Um, okay, if you fight with body piercings in, or train with them in, there is the distinct possiblity that one of them will get ripped out.
And nobody gets anything out of the martial arts if they are forced to go.
:asian:

K

kenposcum

Oh, dur. If you want a belly ring, go ahead and get one. But not because your friend was too scared to get one by herself.
Just my opinion, but I don't think body piercings of any variety look sexy. It's more like, "Look! Somebody started a trend! I'm a member of the herd too!"
Just my .02.
:asian:

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I 've had mine for years
I never have to take it out for a Fight.
><><><:kiss:

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just found out that the class I'll be in has a yellow belt, a blue belt and the rest are brown or black belts. Will be interesting

R

RyuShiKan

I think we might have to actually see the belly ring before we make a judgement call... ;)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

I think we might have to actually see the belly ring before we make a judgement call... ;)

I wholeheartedly support this call...!

In my experience, women tend to wear nearly everything lower than men, especially younger women... And from the women I have had the wonderful opportunity of training with, their pants rode well below their navel.

I don't think it is the pants, but the jacket that might cause some irritation.

Also, bear in mind that, while not taught frequently enough, the belt is NOT to be tied up below your ribs! I have seen too many mini-mall karate schools where nearly all the students (especially the females) had their belts tied almost directly under their ribs!

The purpose for the belt is to teach you proper breathing. It should be tied, snugly, just a few inches below the navel. If you are exhaling properly, the knot should bob with each exhalation.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how your training goes.

Gambarimasu.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would say get some of those new bandaids that are like gel or whatever, they are square and will deffinatly cover the bellybutton and the pericing, if your worried about it, especially if its a new piercing. I like body piercings myself, I had to take mine out for the job I have now, but in my mind I still have them!!:D

About everyone telling you to forget your friend and just go, I don't know if I'm going to agree with that. If she agrees to at least go check it out, what harm is there? Maybe she will enjoy it and it could be very important in her life later on, you never know.

Just my couple cents....

7sm
PS: small nose peircings are more sexy than bellybutton ones, just for the reccord!! :D

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
drag your friend along anyway. There is a huge gulf betweenthe public's perception of MA and what actually goes on, so even though she isn't that keen now, if you drag her there she may love it.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Do YOU want a belly ring? Does SHE want to take karate?

S

Skarbromantis

I just found out that the class I'll be in has a yellow belt, a blue belt and the rest are brown or black belts. Will be interesting

Also a Orange belt and Green :D

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forget about the piercing & go into the studio and train. I'd rather hear of you learning how to protect yourself than worry about getting it ripped off by a front kick in the stomach. Of course if it were a kenpo school, (ah hem) don't forget about the ceremonial front kick after every promotion.
Jason Farnsworth

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You all have me worried. I read alot of bad things about kempo on here. I was joining chinese kempo. Tell me what you know please. As far as the piercing goes, I really don't want it. I'd rather do karate.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's only in participating american kenpo schools I believe. Anyway after the promotion you get "kicked" up to the next level. Some punch and some kick depends upon the instructor in that specific art
Jason Farnsworth

S

Shinzu

i dont know much about chinese kempo, but it seems to me that you have your heart set on training. if it were up to me i would weigh out the options. if you want both then go for it. you can always take out the belly ring.

Latest Discussions