Bob Sapp

J

JDenz

It's official, Bob Sapp has to defeat Godzilla to reign supreme in Japan.

While the average American wouldn't have a clue as to who Bob Sapp is, a Japanese citizen recognizes him as one of the biggest celebrities in Japan.

There is even talk of him going to WWE but don't count on it. Sapp will EASILY earn an estimated $1.5-3 Million this year from K-1, PRIDE, pro wrestling and countless appearances and endorsements.

Sapp takes the cake as the highest paid combat athlete in the world (aside from boxing). This takes the WWE rumor down a notch as Sapp would clearly not be able to earn that much in the States.

More than likely, the WWE would expose Sapp as an average pro wrestler and wouldn't be able to capitalize on his character and international stardom. Sapp wouldn't be able to fight in WWE and American's would be left dumbfounded.

Come to think of it, sooner or later, someone is going to have to design his action figure. How do you fit a toy that size in a package!

Even many hard-core NFL fans wouldn't even remember Bob Sapp but it's apparent that his popularity is now gaining coverage in the U.S.

Yahoo! has one of the largest news services in the world. The Bob Sapp craze has resulted in a recent article stemming from his mainstream stardom in Japan that has reached the U.S.

OP
N

Nyoongar

I'd like to see a Sapp v Mark Hunt match.

Two very hard hitters. Hunt might actually be undersized for this one!

OP
J

JDenz

Ya everyone in K-1 is undersized to Sapp but it won't be long till guys like Sapp are the norm.

OP
J

JDenz

Just a few short days ago, Bob Sapp again made national headlines in Japan. Annually, the Japanese sportswriters from the various publications meet once a year to issue awards for combat sports including MMA and pro wrestling's best athletes.

This year's ceremony took place on 12/16 at the Prince Hotel in Tokyo, where the Japanese press announced their picks for the best of 2002.

Many pro wrestlers have won the Most Valuable Player award in the past but only one recipient has been MMA related, the exception being Kazushi Sakuraba in 2000. Many have learned to expect the unexpected, but what happened boggled the minds of many.

Bob Sapp won the coveted MVP award hands down, making history by becoming the first foreigner in the history of the awards to win.

The award is based on many aspects (live draw, fan appeal, in ring performance and more nebulous factors) and Sapp clearly dominated in all aspects of EVERY combat sport and pro wrestling in Japan.

Sapp dedicated his award to the memory of Andre The Giant and also cited Hulk Hogan as an inspiration.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RICKSON GRACIE IS THE HIGHEST PAID
GUY IN MMA:eek:

OP
J

JDenz

Even at a million a fight he is not earing more then Sapp. Sapp is huge in Japen.

OP
J

J-kid

I want to see BOB sapp aka the beast vs Tito ortiz or chuck ledeal

OP
J

JDenz

Your Crazy that is a stupid fight they are giving up way more then 100 pounds. He need to fight Erickson

OP
N

Nyoongar

I still think it would be fun to watch Bob pound Tito though. What's the biggest weight difference they have in Pride? I know they allow different weights to fight, but maybe not that big.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He suprised me against Ken & proved he is a
growing Warrior.

He has arealy good Wrestling base
& cross trains in Ju Jitsu & Kickboxing.

Now i know this fight would be tuff
But i would not count Tito out
:mad:

OP
N

Nyoongar

Hey Ace:D

I wouldn't count Tito out either! But, he would cop a bit if he did. I like Tito, but who at LHW can beat him? He just seems to be getting stronger and stronger. ?

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Frank has done it but Tito has grown
Guy Metzger beat him once

Chuck Liddel has a good chance but
Still i won't count Tito out

I will be pulling for him against Chuck

OP
J

JDenz

There is no way it would happen in the states since tito is probley never going to leave UFC it won't happen. No way Tito beats Sapp in a million years. Sapp is the second of a new breed of fighters. No lhw can ever beat him. Guys that could beat tito. Liddell, Silva, Belfort, Sperry, Arona, Ninja (maybe), Hendo. I am sure there are more but I think those guys all have a good chance in an octagon.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bob Sapp is quite an imposing specimen. He is probably the prototype for mma combat athletes of the future.

A lot of martial artists who feel that power has nothing to do with being a good fighter, should sign up to fight Sapp. Especially those who think that they and/or their sensei can overcome someone like Bob Sapp with "ki/chi power" ;-)

Having good technique will take you but so far, right?

Peace & blessings,

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zujitsuka
Especially those who think that they and/or their sensei can overcome someone like Bob Sapp with "ki/chi power"

Let's see a "no-touch knockout" in the UFC!

OP
J

JDenz

Randleman? I don't know about him yet. I want to see the ninja fight before I say anything

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by JDenz

Even many hard-core NFL fans wouldn't even remember Bob Sapp but it's apparent that his popularity is now gaining coverage in the U.S.

Bob Sapp played for the Minnesota Vikings; his brother plays for Tampa Bay.

He is actually a very nice guy despite him being able to crush most people like a marshmallow

A photo of me and Bob taken last December.

Attachments

• $bob sapp and me.jpg
    $bob sapp and me.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 223
OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Zujitsuka
Bob Sapp is quite an imposing specimen. He is probably the prototype for mma combat athletes of the future.

A lot of martial artists who feel that power has nothing to do with being a good fighter, should sign up to fight Sapp. Especially those who think that they and/or their sensei can overcome someone like Bob Sapp with "ki/chi power" ;-)

Having good technique will take you but so far, right?

Peace & blessings,

It’s not only the “ki people”…..I saw him fight Ernesto Hoost (Winner of 3 K-1 titles)……maybe fight isn’t a good word for it….."punish"…is better.
His martial skill his far lower than any of his opponents……he is just a “brawler”.

Latest Discussions