Blunt weapons

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had to use a chair and to good effect. It made a great shield and bashing weapon. Never underestimate a man with a chair. I am pretty sure I could throw it accurately too.

Yeah me too. The humble chair that only gets credit in Kung Fu movies, well that seems that way to me.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The war hammer was a weapon used in medieval times. There are techniques for fighting with a war hammer which can no doubt be applied to your workman's hammer of today.

Don't want to seem that I am being a little picky here, but not sure the average chippy deviates from nails. The "War Hammer" to me is just a generic term. I mean back in the day, who would choose a hammer as a front line weapon, more likely in the reserve while picking over mortally wounded men.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't want to seem that I am being a little picky here, but not sure the average chippy deviates from nails. The "War Hammer" to me is just a generic term. I mean back in the day, who would choose a hammer as a front line weapon, more likely in the reserve while picking over mortally wounded men.

Warhammer in the UK, if you are passing through Nottingham do go, the food is fantastic believe it or not. Visitor Information

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really true. The hammer was a very effective weapon against an armored target. Swords, as cool as they are, don't do much against any rigid or semi-rigid armor. Hammers, with a spike in one side, could punch holes in armor. And in what the armor covered.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really true. The hammer was a very effective weapon against an armored target. Swords, as cool as they are, don't do much against any rigid or semi-rigid armor. Hammers, with a spike in one side, could punch holes in armor. And in what the armor covered.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Yeah I can see that, but still seems more of an in the rear weapon to me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah Warhammer. Was never into it myself, but some of the model work I have seen was superb.

The model work could be my son's, he doesn't play the games, he makes the models for people, sends them all over the world. We went down there to pick up supplies for him, it's actually a cool place, the pub is fantastic. Lots of people busy playing on the tables which means lots of work for him lol. A very interesting array of weapons used too.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I can see that, but still seems more of an in the rear weapon to me.

Oh, you're talking about some sort of sex toy?

Seriously, the warhammer was a far more effective weapon against an opponent with rigid or semi-rigid armor than a sword. Smack them in the head with the flat side, and you can knock them out (or at least stun them), allowing you to snatch up a hostage to ransom. Smack them with the spike and you'll actually inflict a significant injury.
Smack a guy in plate with a sword, and all you're really likely to do is blunt your sword.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, you're talking about some sort of sex toy?

Seriously, the warhammer was a far more effective weapon against an opponent with rigid or semi-rigid armor than a sword. Smack them in the head with the flat side, and you can knock them out (or at least stun them), allowing you to snatch up a hostage to ransom. Smack them with the spike and you'll actually inflict a significant injury.
Smack a guy in plate with a sword, and all you're really likely to do is blunt your sword.

How the hell did I miss that! No what I mean is, what sort of percentage would that weapon be in use. See what you are saying, but seems more of a thugish weapon, rather than that is refined and skilled to use. I use some Google-Fu and have a looksie.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How the hell did I miss that! No what I mean is, what sort of percentage would that weapon be in use. See what you are saying, but seems more of a thugish weapon, rather than that is refined and skilled to use. I use some Google-Fu and have a looksie.

War is thuggish, whether you're hitting them with a sword, smashing them with a hammer, or poking holes in them with a lance.

I don't think a warhammer would require any less skill than any other weapon, when you get right down to it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War is thuggish, whether you're hitting them with a sword, smashing them with a hammer, or poking holes in them with a lance.

I don't think a warhammer would require any less skill than any other weapon, when you get right down to it.

You have to bear in mind the British attitude to warfare etc. The UK police can carry rifles as and when needed but they do not carry shotguns because one simply does not shoot a human with a shotgun. Rifles are for shooting people, shotguns for animals, you have to be sporting about it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The war hammer was a weapon used in medieval times. There are techniques for fighting with a war hammer which can no doubt be applied to your workman's hammer of today.

Not likely. A workman's hammer isn't quite the same as a war hammer. Your typical workman's hammer weighs in at about 1 pound while having a relatively short handle, whereas a war hammer would have a significantly heavier head and a longer handle.

Trying to equate the two would be akin to saying that techniques used for battle axes could be applied to camping hatchets, or techniques for long swords could be applied to using butcher knives. They're simply too different.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to bear in mind the British attitude to warfare etc. The UK police can carry rifles as and when needed but they do not carry shotguns because one simply does not shoot a human with a shotgun. Rifles are for shooting people, shotguns for animals, you have to be sporting about it.

Indeed, I can still hear Grandad's thunder even now. Poor Foxes though. Don't what was worse, that or the Beagles. Mind you, he would have shot them as well. I would think that most in Blighty would have come over with the Scandinavian peoples.

Latest Discussions