Weapon origins

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many of the weapons in the MA were not originally used as weapons but as tools for various purposes. The kama was a sickle for use out in the field. The bo staff was used for carrying buckets of water over the shoulder and the nunchucks I believe was used as a flail for grain to name a few examples. Anyway, the tools of today can be used as weapons too. They should be incorporated into modern MA.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the weapons in the MA were not originally used as weapons but as tools for various purposes. The kama was a sickle for use out in the field. The bo staff was used for carrying buckets of water over the shoulder and the nunchucks I believe was used as a flail for grain to name a few examples. Anyway, the tools of today can be used as weapons too. They should be incorporated into modern MA.

Tools of today? Where are you going with this?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and the nunchucks I believe was used as a flail for grain

The nunchaku wouldn't have been a good choice for threshing grain. The user wouldn't have enough leverage for that purpose, which is why grain flails had significantly longer handles.

to name a few examples. Anyway, the tools of today can be used as weapons too. They should be incorporated into modern MA.

This is an idea that would simply be a waste of time. With the plethora of knowledge out there regarding traditional weapons instruction, why bother re-inventing the wheel? If it's for learning how to make the weapons a natural extension of your own body, what could such instruction accomplish that good instruction in a traditional weapons system couldn't?

Also, who would be your information sources, regarding the actual instruction of the improvised weapons?

For that matter, are you actually going to have the tools in question on you during most of the hours of your day? It's going to look very silly if you were walking around carrying around a large pipe wrench, when you could easily carry a lockback, folding knife that would be a far more effective melee weapon (and legal in most places).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Although I am pretty sure it strikes fear in the hearts of my neighbors as well as convince them I am certifiably insane...I swing around racks, hoes, shovels and all sorts of tools in my yard based on the MA weapons I already know, even throw small garden shovels like a knife to see if I can stick them in the ground... no need to make special forms....

Personally I think it never hurts to have neighbors think you are a little insane. Keeps everyone on their toes. lol ;)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tools of today? Where are you going with this?

Im talking about stuff such as tire irons or the good old fashioned hammer that you can get at your local hardware store, one of my favorites.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Although I am pretty sure it strikes fear in the hearts of my neighbors as well as convince them I am certifiably insane...I swing around racks, hoes, shovels and all sorts of tools in my yard based on the MA weapons I already know, even throw small garden shovels like a knife to see if I can stick them in the ground... no need to make special forms....

Personally I think it never hurts to have neighbors think you are a little insane. Keeps everyone on their toes. lol ;)

I am not really into quoting myself but there is a line in this thread that I absolutely did not put there

I did not put the above line in my post and I would REALLY like to know how it got there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im talking about stuff such as tire irons or the good old fashioned hammer that you can get at your local hardware store, one of my favorites.

Especially if you can throw it across an international border, Thor.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Xue I believe I was responding to your post. Hit the quote button and it went into your post.

Sorry for any confusion!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not throw a hammer, I would use it for hand to hand fighting.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm skeptical of many of those claims. Yes, a pole or staff can be used as a tool in various ways; it's about the only one I give any credence to the idea it was a tool "first." Some knives, maybe... War axes and wood chopping axes aren't designed the same. But a kama as a sickle? Probably not, the blade is in an inefficient orientation for the purpose. Maybe tonfa were really handles for mill stones... but again, I'd be surprised because the length would be less than efficient. I recall an article where someone tried to confirm the "origin" of nunchaku as rice flails, and pretty much got puzzled stares at best. Sure, a few (like the oar or I saw Chinese horse bench form once...) were and remained tools -- but I think most things that are weapons were weapons.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was under the impression the kama was the only one on the list that was a real tool. i think it was used to cut small handfulls of grass or rice stocks or something.
as far as a hammer,, wonderfull weapon. one of my favorites. my personal favorite is a 22 ounce framing hammer with a waffle head. there is no asian traditional weapon equivilant. but there is a very rich history of war hammers thoughout history. very popular in old europe but the handle was much longer. and as a tradesman i have a few close by me or on my hip most of the day.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear...

Many of the weapons in the MA were not originally used as weapons but as tools for various purposes.

No, a very small number of weapons, largely associated with Okinawan (Ryukyu) methodology, have apocryphal origin claims along these lines… but the majority of weapons were designed as, get this, weapons.

The kama was a sickle for use out in the field. The bo staff was used for carrying buckets of water over the shoulder and the nunchucks I believe was used as a flail for grain to name a few examples.

Yeah… note the above mention of "apocryphal claims"…

Anyway, the tools of today can be used as weapons too. They should be incorporated into modern MA.

Hmm… that will really depend on the art itself. It's really got no place in a number of them… making blanket statements about what should or shouldn't be in systems is fraught with issues and can never be correct or accurate.

In other words, you're coming from an inaccurate understanding, with a lot of misconceptions, and are trying to apply that across the board where it's just not pragmatic, realistic, or appropriate. But, giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that your single-definition way of expressing your ideas has lead to this particular statement, I'm guessing that you're actually meaning to say that, as a range of systems and weapons are thought to have their origins in more common, everyday items, rather than as purpose designed weapons (despite the fact that the majority of weapons are designed as weapons first and foremost), then perhaps modern self defence-oriented systems should look to other everyday items as potential tools for self defence as well… then… they do.

Systems such as MCMAP (and other military systems), Krav Maga etc teach the use of common-carry items in each of their contexts (using things like military shovels), there are a number of systems that have incorporated items such as Defensive Tactic Pens, kubotan, tomahawks, and more… and knives are possibly the most common form of weapon encountered in a martial art class across the board.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of many of those claims. Yes, a pole or staff can be used as a tool in various ways; it's about the only one I give any credence to the idea it was a tool "first." Some knives, maybe... War axes and wood chopping axes aren't designed the same. But a kama as a sickle? Probably not, the blade is in an inefficient orientation for the purpose. Maybe tonfa were really handles for mill stones... but again, I'd be surprised because the length would be less than efficient. I recall an article where someone tried to confirm the "origin" of nunchaku as rice flails, and pretty much got puzzled stares at best. Sure, a few (like the oar or I saw Chinese horse bench form once...) were and remained tools -- but I think most things that are weapons were weapons.

The original tools might've been modified to be better used as weapons, for instance the tonfa might've been shortened or the blade for the kama might've been changed. Peasants didn't have swords so they used their tools for fighting. There are cases of weapons originating from tools that were designed for other purposes and then modified. The trident originated from the ordinary pitchfork.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original tools might've been modified to be better used as weapons, for instance the tonfa might've been shortened or the blade for the kama might've been changed. Peasants didn't have swords so they used their tools for fighting. There are cases of weapons originating from tools that were designed for other purposes and then modified. The trident originated from the ordinary pitchfork.

Well considering the humble pitch fork is a middle ages tool and the trident a mythical weapon, that assertion has to be incorrect.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You need to find someone (a professional) who can help you to understand the difference between myth and reality.

For example... you have not made a single statement here that has any basis in reality.
The trident was a fishing spear and a not-terribly-good polearm.

Latest Discussions